It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:01 am • # 1 

For anyone interested there will be a Wisconsin Tenkara Campout near Coon Valley, Wisc May 16-21 at Esofea County Park. We will have plenty of people there who are familiar with the area to get you onto local fishing hotspots. There will also be some vendors hanging around and we have a large fire every night, with beverages, and do some communal meals. It will be a good time to try out a lot of different rods. Below is a link to pictures from last years get together.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d1948n/al ... 8878927388

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:56 pm • # 2 

I'll put it on my calendar.

I did attend the Tenkara Fest at Coon Valley last August. I didn't buy a Tenkara rod, because I wanted to wait for The Driftless Angler to stock them so I could swing some cash to Mat and Geri. Then, by the time I got there, they were out of stock. but this spring for sure.

Until then, I'll be using my 3 weight (and hopefully a 9' 2 weight I'll be building when the blank arrives) starting January 6. Winter and early spring are my favorite times in The Driftless Area.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:57 pm • # 3 

If you ever want to hook up this winter let me know.

Last edited by dpnoll on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:55 am • # 4 

Go! It will be worth it! Good people and good fishing (and good food).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:24 pm • # 5 

weiliwen wrote:
...I did attend the Tenkara Fest at Coon Valley last August. I didn't buy a Tenkara rod, because I wanted to wait for The Driftless Angler to stock them so I could swing some cash to Mat and Geri. Then, by the time I got there, they were out of stock. but this spring for sure...
The Tenkara Fest sounds like a lot of fun! I haven't heard of anything like that up in the Northwest but I am new to Tenkara this year.

I wish my local fly shop would carry Tenkara rods and accessories because I like to support them. What Tenkara products and brands does The DA carry? I e-searched their online store for "tenkara" and got no returns. I'm curious if there are any industry disincentives for the shops to diversify.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 pm • # 6 

Sounds like a good time and a chance to work out the Tenkara rod which has seen little water the last few years. I've been reading about the Driftless area for ages and have been repeatedly enticed. And it's only a 9 1/2 hour drive to boot! I'll put it in my calendar and hope the **** thing reminds me when the time comes up.

Harry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:38 am • # 7 

Harry, Don't worry. I'll be posting more info about camping with links as we get closer. If you are on FB Zoan, the other guy in charge runs the "Tenkara Wisconsin" site and will be posting frequently.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:39 am • # 8 

Thanks. Not on Facebook but a frequent visitor to this site so I will likely see any future notifications about the event.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:54 am • # 9 

weiliwen wrote:
...The Tenkara Fest sounds like a lot of fun! I haven't heard of anything like that up in the Northwest but I am new to Tenkara this year.

The Tenkara Bug Out is held in the Northwest. I haven't been to one but it should be a good group and a lot of fun. Besides, there will be lots of people with lots of different rods so you can get some "hands on" before buying something. You may wish your local shop had tenkara gear, but none of the best gear is sold in shops.

https://www.tenkarabugout.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:58 pm • # 10 

We have campsites 15 and 16 reserved at Esofea County Park for 5 nights. May 16-21.

http://www.vernoncounty.org/LWCD/Parks/ ... mpsite.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 pm • # 11 

I am a total nooby with fishing but would love to learn tenkara to include it on future backpacking and paddle trips. Would this event be ok for someone who has never tried tenkara, but is very motivated to learn? I live in Madison, there are many nearby spots where tenkara is doable.

Also, would bringing a dog be a bad idea?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:18 pm • # 12 

No problem bringing a dog. It would be the perfect time and place to learn about Tenkara. There will also probably be a guide or two hanging out in the area. If you want to get a head start give Mike Warren at Trout Buddy a call. He is very good and really knows the area.

http://troutbuddy.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:43 pm • # 13 

There is a hole in a stream in the Western drift less area that has a truck sunken in it . There is a 7lb brown in that hole , or at least was when I released him a couple years back . Good luck .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:38 pm • # 14 

Just a short update. We will be having a gear and swap meet at the campout. Also we have three on stream presentations set up for the Campout.
1) a casting clinic by Rob Worthing
2) Kebari manipulations by Graham Moran
3) reading the water by Paul Vertrees
As an added side: while some streams got hit hard last fall by the flood we have been having a lot of really great fishing this Spring. Some of us are getting out each week and checking out area streams. If there are any specific ones you want checked out PM me.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply