It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Tenkara Level Line
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:50 pm • # 1 

I fish mostly saltwater or peacock bass in fresh water. Delicate trout presentations are not required.

I am new to Tenkara. I recently bought a setup. I hated the flimsy line it came with.

That said I am using a piece of running line from a 1wt line with a 3 feet 12 to 17 pound fluoro tippet... works like a charm.

Thought I'd share, we all have old lines laying around and I think purchasing a Tenkara Level Line is not required.

My setup with a lighter longer tippet may be able to cast delicately for trout too... who knows.

Post subject: Re: Tenkara Level Line
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:08 pm • # 2 

With tenkara, and it's fixed line, you need to have an appropriately light fail point in the tippet. Otherwise the fail point becomes the rod. A 12-17 bite leader might make sense, provided it can be cast with a lighter section of tippet between it and the level line. What is your rod rated at?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:59 pm • # 3 

Knotty wrote:
With tenkara, and it's fixed line, you need to have an appropriately light fail point in the tippet. Otherwise the fail point becomes the rod. A 12-17 bite leader might make sense, provided it can be cast with a lighter section of tippet between it and the level line. What is your rod rated at?

I don't have the slightest idea about rating. I asked Maxcatch for their strongest rod and that's the one I purchased. I may need to add a 8 pound section as a fuse in case I hook something big.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:53 am • # 4 

Eight pounds is still way too strong. Use 4 pounds, 5 at the most, and make sure it is a tippet that actually breaks at its stated strength. This is not a situation where you want "the world's strongest 4 lb line" which is probably actually a true 6 lb breaking strength. It would be a good idea to make absolutely sure Maxcatch can supply replacement parts - and not just the tip section. If you hook a fish that is too big for the rod, and try to land it anyway, the break will come very low in the rod - one or two sections up from the grip.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply