It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 62 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:27 am • # 21 

mbarker698x:
Geez, there you go bringing the word 'fun' into it again. :eek :lol :lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:43 am • # 22 

Mike, do you mean to say that you would mislead us on the size rod you use?? Moderator, you need to ban this guy forever!!! Hey, did I tell you guys about the 18 lb striper I caught on my 1-wt?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:13 pm • # 23 

I need to make a two handed Steffen 3/4 wt rod with a bamboo reel seat so I can play in this forum, fiberglass, spey, and bamboo forums.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:46 pm • # 24 

Cliff, I wouldn't say mislead just failed to mention that my partner or I was using say a 4 or 5wt. But then one of us always had a 3wt in hand, and honestly I can't always remember which fish was cought on which rod. But then I always have two rods with me used to be a 5 and 3, now it's a 2 and 4 and both rods are always rigged and fished.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:37 pm • # 25 

Hmmm, sounds like you've been taking lessons from Pearow. :lol :lol Gene never misleads, he only "embellishes" his stories. :eek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:25 pm • # 26 

Could be, however it has been a few years since I actually talked to Pearow. Bought one of his 3wts and traded an old regal vise. But that has been awhile, long enough to forget what I traded.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:21 pm • # 27 

I own a Sage TXL 7 foot 4 weight. IMO it is a UL rod. I know it does not fit the standards set here though. I use it for most of my small stream fishing. It is very light in weight when combined with Sage's original 3200 reel and their rod specific DT line. I have other UL rods in 2 and 3 weights and I think this TXL is in the same class. What a Gem!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:56 pm • # 28 

With all of the lines marked however a manufacturer wants, you can't go by the line with 30 feet out either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:22 pm • # 29 

Is fishing with a Tenkara rod UL fly fishing?
Is it even fly fishing?

EDward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:03 pm • # 30 

It's definitely fly fishing and with today's telescoping graphite tenkara rods it's definitely UL. But it doesn't qualify for this forum :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:40 pm • # 31 
Administrator

Edward,
We both know you're not throwing 1/0 flies on Tenkara, unless you have figured out something I don't know about... ;)

Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:46 pm • # 32 

3102yuma wrote:
Is fishing with a Tenkara rod UL fly fishing?
Is it even fly fishing?

EDward

I believe that it is not fly fishing under state law in New Hampshire which states that fly fishing has to be done with a rod, reel, line, and fly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:52 pm • # 33 

Interesting! So you figure the absence of a reel would preclude Tenkara as fly fishing in NH. I suppose you could tape one onto the rod just to meet the legal requirements.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:38 pm • # 34 

Copied this off the NH Rules and Regs definition page on their site. How would you interpret it?

"Fly-fishing: Fishing by trolling or casting with only fly rod, fly reel, and fly line combination with an artificial fly or cast of artificial flies attached, and does not include the use of spinning, spincast, and casting rods and reels and lead core lines."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:04 pm • # 35 

Joe: Thanks for looking that up.
That pretty clearly precludes Tenkara, doesn't it? And, like many jurisdictions' legislation, overlooks the more historical roots of fly angling, or all angling, for that matter.(i.e. the old bamboo pole and simple line). There is a tendency to acknowledge only the more technologically (and financially) advanced techniques, so: fly, spinning, casting, spincasting. My experience with provincial legislation interpretation suggests this one, if it went before a judge, would come down to the 'spirit' of the law vs. the 'letter' of the law. As will always be the case, there are new (or old) situations that were never anticipated by legislation drafters. And even if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on the outcome. ;)

A few decades ago, the smallmouth bass fishery was gaining popularity in our province where previously they had been considered trash fish. We were very new at bass management. Our department was involved in a case that went before a judge. The defendant had kept a few smallies prior to the open season, and the angling summary clearly stated that, before a certain date, no black bass may be retained. The warden presented the judge with a photo of the bass as evidence. In his defence the defendant, who was relatively new to the country, explained that, to his eye, those fish were clearly green. He got off, and we changed the summary to read 'smallmouth bass'. :lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:53 pm • # 36 

Well, if not Tenkara then how about Elevenkara??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:12 pm • # 37 

every rod manufacturer labels rods with little regard to true weights. Now days the same applies to fly lines. You can't take it for granted that a line labeled 3 weight is actually in the 3 weight(100 to 119 grams). So, just like good fishing its all a matter of interpretation.
If I catch say 2- 3 fish, I will say that fishing was good.
Cliff will catch 30 fish and say fishing was ok; nothing special.
Its all a matter of interpretation!!!!!
another example: a fiberglass 3 weight may feel like a 1 weight in graphite while a 3 weight graphite will "feel" like a 5 weight to a fiberglass man. Its all interpretation-p-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:24 pm • # 38 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Well, if not Tenkara then how about Elevenkara??

Rods by Spinal Tap?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:47 am • # 39 

I love the anguish caused by the definition of UL - because this forum is ONLY about UL fly fishing.

But we can talk freely about any calibre of firearm …

:hat

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:13 am • # 40 

kalgrm wrote:
I love the anguish caused by the definition of UL - because this forum is ONLY about UL fly fishing.

But we can talk freely about any calibre of firearm …

:hat

Cheers,
Graeme

Nope, the forum is whatever Jeremy wants it to be.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 62 posts ] New Topic Add Reply