It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Cold weather fishing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:14 am • # 1 

OK guys (gals too) need some help. I have been flyfishing a couple of years and I do pretty well with sunfish until the water starts to cool off in the fall. Since I am in west Texas, the water gets cold but doesn't freeze. They have stopped biting now and I am wondering what other people do to entice them in the fall and winter. What flies do you use and how do you fish them? Thanks. mike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:24 am • # 2 

My suggestion is to fish deep and slow. Use a weighted #12 girdle bug, or other weighted nymph, under an indicator or count it down. Fish it slowly with either a hand twist retrieve or short two inch strips.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 am • # 3 

Although I mainly fish for tailwater trout from now until late Feb., I've fished a few streams in the winter that have some natural underground springs flowing into them with warmer water. The warm water species tend to gravitate to these areas during the winter. Maybe look for shallower flats where the sun will warm the surface. Fish those transition points from the deeper water with a jig type fly (cap spider) under an indicator working as slow as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:50 pm • # 4 

As said before go slow deep with a sink tip or full sink line, My go to fly is a woolly bugger black, brown or green
Image Dennis

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply