It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:17 pm • # 1 

Hey I wonder if you guys would help me set up a shooting line with one of my rods on the cheap. I am confused on what I read here . I have different lengths of of 2wts . 1, 6'6" Maxcatch , a 9' fast taper 2 that I built , O and 1wt 7'6" full flexs and an 7'6" 3wt , a 7'6" fiberglass parabolic , a 7'9" 3wt and 2 10' 3wts , 1 medium and 1 med/fast . If you were going to set up a rod for micro Skag which one would it be and how would you do it ? Thank you in advance .
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:23 pm • # 2 

I love a nice moderate rod for skagit casting. The 7'6 1wt looks like a lot of fun. I have a moderate ~7ft 1wt I use for skagit myself. I used a 10' 9wt [95grain] floating tip with 5' polyleader. While I used to use OPST Lazer Line, I find that the Berkley Big Game works just as well.

In your case, since the rod is a little longer, I'd probably go for a 7.5ft floating poly leader. It may make casting a little forgiving as you're less likely to blow out your anchor.

The fiberglass rod also would be heaps fun on a skagit head. The slower rods really add some finesse and smoothness to the heavy handed skagit lines.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:17 pm • # 3 

I just went to youtube to look at the setups and now I'm really confused . I cant get a grasp on the building of these lines . Maybe this isnt for me , Thx.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 pm • # 4 

For a cheap shooting line I suggest Amnesia shooting line, I have the 15 and 20lb. For a shooting head for the 2 weight TFO 8' Professional I am using a front end of a cheap 10 weight line first 15 feet. (140gr) On this set up I am using 20 lb Slickshooter line which is a little more expensive but works like a charm. Total very inexpensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:38 pm • # 5 

…….…...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:11 am • # 6 

Its not as complicated as some make it out to be. Your 7'6" 1 weight would work as a microskagit, and like the above advise, I would go with a floating MOW tip as your "skagit head" - MOW tips are meant to be the tip of a skagit line, but they work great as a microskagit on ultralight rods. MOW tips are all 10' so its in the same length ball park as the lighter OPST heads, but OPST lines start at 150 grains which are a bit heavy on a 1 or 2 weight.

The advise to use a short polyleader or versileader is again spot on, get one each of the 5, 7.5, and 10' versions to see which ones you cast best. I personally found the longer ones more castable and typically run 10 footers. Shooting line, use Amnesia or Big Game - I run both on different rods, both work well, Amnesia is a bit better. 20lb for your microskagit setup. I run 25lb on my trout speys.

If you want an excuse to buy a new rod, get a 3 weight, then just get a Commando Smooth in 150 grain flavor. Commando smooth is an integrated line, its a commando head with built in running line. Essentially a fat weight forward. You could probably go cheaper using a Bass Bug tapered 6 or 7 weight on a #2 or 3 rod.

I find OPSTs line recommendations a tad heavy after playing with different lines and rod combos. For example, on my 9' 6 weight Penn graphite stick, I was fishing a 175 grain Commando line last week that I integrated with RIO running line (I do not like the loop to loops on most single handers, they hang up in the guides) - it cast and fished great. I used to use the same line setup on my 3 weight glass rod before it was stolen. 175 is a bit heavy for a 3 weight glass IMO.

Heres one more thing - if you learn single handed spey/skagit casting, any line system works. You dont need a shooting head to make the casts, they help fishing heavy flies, but the casts can be performed on almost any rod/line combo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:11 pm • # 7 

Thank you .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:20 pm • # 8 

Still lookin for that floating MOW tip . I see different things like 7 1/2 floating with 2 1/2 sinking etc . So far I only have the front section of a 10wt F with Amnesia running line . I haven't been able to test it yet but leaving this week for the San Juan river . Will try to master it there . :eek Will my furled leaders work with tis combo Eric ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:06 pm • # 9 

I used a furled leader this morning, flouro carbon as I wanted a sinker. No problems. The 10' MOW floating tips can be found on the internet. JimRed and I were Skagit/Spey casting this morning, alot of fun. Happy hunting on the San Juan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:29 pm • # 10 

I'm not finding a 10' floating MOW tip on Rio's web site . Only a T8 which has a sink rate of 7 or 8 seconds a foot . I want to be able to use it for dry flys too . TIA
Ron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:15 pm • # 11 

They are produced by OPST they may have some in stock. You could also use 10' or less of the forward or back taper of a spare line.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:16 pm • # 12 

I found this 75 grain SHS Commando Floating Tip on the OPST web site . Is this what you guys mean ?

Also ,

I have the back end of that 10wt line I cut up . Will that work for a 2wt sglass rod ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:56 pm • # 13 

It should be ok, the weight of the shooting head and tip should be around the 140-150 gr.
Does the shooting head you cut from the 10 weight include the taper? If so and the weight is around the 150 gr mark you don't need a tip just add the leader.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:04 pm • # 14 

I cut it a little long and it's about 180 . I left it like that so I could fine tune it on the water this week on the Juan .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:08 am • # 15 

Good luck, let us know how you do. If you have not done so practice the Spey/Skagit style of casting before you go and you will make it work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:06 am • # 16 

Well here it is Nov 14 and I have yet to transfer this project from my living room to the water . Living in the desert really sux . Anyway I came back to revive this thread in hopes that it will light my fire as it were ! I really would like to get this thing on the water . Just walking to the waters edge and casting wont cut it , will it ? Thanks for putting up with me .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:14 pm • # 17 

Just do it. By the time you get to real fishing water you will be a champ.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply