It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Micro Skagit and me
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:22 pm • # 1 

Well today I finally tried out this stuff called Skagit casting . I had to go to the park since we don't have much grass here . I don't know if I did it the right way or not . I tried two rods , the first an 8' 3/4 wt fiberglass that I am building and just got wrapped but not epoxied . Big mistake , now I have to wrap it again . Oh well . The second rod was a 10' 3wt that I put an extended handle on . It is IM8 or 10 , I don't remember . Any way I stripped a bunch of the Amnesia shooting line and loaded the rod with my homemade 185 grn head and let er fly . The fiberglass rod was first , wow 20' . hmm . Next attempt was better about 30 feet or so . Then I changed to the 10'3wt . I'm thinking 90 or 100 feet is on it's way . Nope , bigger disappointment as the line went out about 15 feet and fell in a pile . Well I kept trying but the only way I could get that rod to cast was to do a false cast first . Anyway , what am I doing wrong or am I doing anything right ? Thank for reading .

Post subject: Re: Micro Skagit and me
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 pm • # 2 

Ron if you can make a short video clip of what you're doing would help.
For a start the full shooting head must be out of the rod tip plus about 9-12 inches of running line. With the shooting head lying strait out in front of you give one back cast and shoot stopping in the 10 o'clock point. You should be able to shoot at least 60 feet of line.
Watch as many Micro Skagit/ Spey casting videos as you can look at them over and over until you get it. I have come to the conclusion that besides the roll cast and a pick up cast the single spey is right for the heads I have made.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:46 pm • # 3 

First off, skagit casting is not a traditional overhead cast. It is a roll cast with a change of direction. Second, you are better off having tips added along with the leader to improve your casting. The shorter the head the shorter and slower the cast.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:34 am • # 4 

scorpion1971 wrote:
First off, skagit casting is not a traditional overhead cast. It is a roll cast with a change of direction. Second, you are better off having tips added along with the leader to improve your casting. The shorter the head the shorter and slower the cast.

I have had conversations with Ron before, I know Skagit is not what I was trying to get across to Ron but merely to get him to shoot the head successfully, after which the Spey/Skagit casting can be worked on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:27 am • # 5 

Exactly what linecaster said . It is impossible to spey cast in my yard , I need water for an anchor point and rocks wreak havoc on line so a grass leader will not work either . Until then I'll take linecaster's advice and practice shooting .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:52 pm • # 6 

I've got a couple of similar rods that I tried out late fall this year. Almost identical actually, a 7 1/2' glass 3/4 wt and a 10' graphite 3 wt. I had bought all 4 SA Spey tips that weighed in at 160 grains.

I tried the slowest sinking tip out by using some of the techniques explained in the book " Single Handed Spey Casting" with poor results. Then I just started using a single back cast and on the first try got out about 50 feet of line. I was pretty impressed and plan on working on the technique when the water gets soft again next spring. I managed to use both rods and had similar results with each.

BTW, for a running line I reversed the 3 wt line on my reel and it worked pretty good.

Harry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:09 pm • # 7 

Well fresh back from a lake with terrible results . First off my controller for my trolling motor bounced out and broke so now I have no motor . Oh well . On to the casting fiasco . Right off I stretched the amnesia like I'm supposed to then reeled it back on the reel stripped off 39 feet or so slung my head in a back cast and flung her real good . Plop , 18 feet or maybe 20 . Stripped her in and did it again . Plop , 20 feet maybe 30 . So far so good . Did I stop at 10 o'clock , maybe not so I flung her again making a conscious effort to stop at 10 , bingo 40-45 feet . I'm on a roll . I stripped her back and flung it again , plop 15 feet , amnesia curled in a mono nightmare . I tried to untangle it to no avail so I picked up my toys and came home .
What I learned , amnesia either sux big time or I got a bad batch . What I'll do now , buy something much better before I get totally disgusted and go back to a spinning outfit . So , money not an object , right! . If it weren't what is the best to use for shooting line . Thanks and no , my question mark key doesn't work ! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:53 pm • # 8 

Keep at it. ...watch lots of videos and realize that there is a learning curve.....those guys on the videos probably did just like you at first....hopefully they were not as bad as I still am :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:42 pm • # 9 

Jangles, don't give up. What strength shooting Amnesia are you using? I found 25lb too heavy, JimRed uses 15lb .I like the 20lb but really like the Slickshooter brand. So far I have not had to stretch my Amnesia. You at least got a 40 foot cast and with that one you had your timing right. Practice is what it is all about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:53 pm • # 10 

I,am,using 15 lb amnesia but I'm done with it,for now . If I do try it again it will be with a different batch but for now Im going to try what Harry did . I just ordered some 1wt wf line and will put it on backwards to try it for shooting line . Thanks to everyone with positive input .
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:04 pm • # 11 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuz8Sj7k3uc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:07 pm • # 12 

Well , I tried Rio Slick Shooter with no decent results either . I think it's more in my homemade head than anything so I'm going to give up and buy an integrated line from OPST . I just need to decide which rod I want to set up .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 pm • # 13 

Good luck and tight lines.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:54 pm • # 14 

Jangles, don't mean to add to your frustrations.

I've never gotten a tangle in Amnesia that wasn't pretty easy to un-tangle and I do most of my fishing in the Winter at night; same with RIO. I am fishing with Amnesia/RIO 100% of the time now, using them as
running lines for both back casting with lines at rod wt. and "active" roll casting (not good enough to label it spey or skagit) with heads made from 10 wt at 120 to 180 grains.

Don't know if the trolling motor indicates you were setting in a boat, but if you were I see that as a hinderence, it shortens the D loop and has other disadvantages. Not saying you can't use a boat, just saying it makes the learning process difficult.

I recommend starting with short casts and making the casts in a slow and deliberate motion for learning purposes. There is a you tube video with a guy with an English accent that recommends starting with a roll cast; sorry don't recall his name.

Hang in there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:28 pm • # 15 

Do a search for Simon Gawsworth, he has videos from roll casting to beginner Spey/Skagit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:19 pm • # 16 

I called Reds Fly shop , Wullf in New York , Rio, Trident and the local fly shop here in Tucson today . I wanted to buy an integrated system for my 10' 3wt and none of them could agree . They all recommended different lines within 3 different brands . I 'm starting to think that experts aren't so expert anymore . Anyway I ordered 2 different Skagit heads and shooting line from Maxcatch on ebay and more Amnesia . I should get something to work . I am shooting about 60 ft now and then with my homemade 10wt head so I know I'm getting close I just need a little more weight . Thanks for the replies .

Jimred , I wasn't in the boat .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:55 pm • # 17 

Jangles, good to hear of the progress. 60 ft is better than I can get.
Wanted to mention I have a couple of reels spooled up with braid running
line that I switch to when the temperature gets close to freezing. Amnesia and
RIO don't work at all for me at those temperatures, but the braid although less efficient
than the mono running lines as far as distance works well closer to freezing temperatures.

Thanks Line caster for mentioning Simon's name, it's his You Tube videos I was thinking of.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:22 am • # 18 

jangles wrote:
I called Reds Fly shop , Wullf in New York , Rio, Trident and the local fly shop here in Tucson today . I wanted to buy an integrated system for my 10' 3wt and none of them could agree . They all recommended different lines within 3 different brands . I 'm starting to think that experts aren't so expert anymore . Anyway I ordered 2 different Skagit heads and shooting line from Maxcatch on ebay and more Amnesia . I should get something to work . I am shooting about 60 ft now and then with my homemade 10wt head so I know I'm getting close I just need a little more weight . Thanks for the replies .

Jimred , I wasn't in the boat .

Good on you 60 feet is nice depending on the water you are going to fish that is well enough ok.
It is amazing the extra weight line you can cast with any given rod plus the heavier fly as well.
All the best on your new purchases.
Another guy Klaus Filmor is an expert in this business and he started at an early age his advice is practice, practice, practice.
A lesson for all of us. Sweet when it comes together.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:38 am • # 19 

Thx JimRed and Linecaster . That 60 ft is actually 20 large steps and without a leader . I'm just guesstimating but I think it's pretty close . This is with my Maxcatch 19'3wt Nymph rod . I built an 8' s-glass 3/4 wt and it casts about the same distance but more fun . I'm joining a cast club and they have a meeting in Phoenix on Saturday so hopefully I can get some help there . I'm starting to have a little fun now and it should keep getting better as the actually have water in Phoenix !! Thanks for all your help guys .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:58 pm • # 20 

:applause :applause :applause . Good luck.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply