It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:50 am • # 1 

I finally made it out to a local lake i've been trying to get back to only to have the wind kick up. My rod of choice these days is a 7'6" 0 wt I built from a kit I got from RDP but the wind made me go with a 9' 4 wt. Man, it felt like I was swinging a flag pole! It seemed some much heavier and bulkier compared to that 0 wt. It took a little time to get re-acquainted, but I was able to make due. It was just amazing to me how a mere 2 or 3 ounces can feel so different.

Hopefully, next time I will catch it on calm day.....although those are few and far between here in DFW. Seems like the wind is always blowing here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:06 am • # 2 

When the conditions demand a heavier line, i change to a shorter 4wt,,, 7.5ft long will feel more comfortable than a 9ft rod.

My local fly shop has lots of used 4 & 5 wt rods in shorter lengths for windy day back ups.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:07 pm • # 3 

I fish the dfw area too, coppell to be exact. We have enough ponds and canals and
building that channel the wind that you can always find a spot to fly fish. My smallest rod is a two wt though. A zer0 wt is likely less forgiving. If I want to cast in the wind instead of finding that protected spot, I fish my 3,4 or 5 at. If your close, try the ponds on Freeport, one of those 4 ponds that are all closely located will be suitable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:20 am • # 4 

Davyboy, you mention that you’re using a 7 ½ foot RDP 0-weight. Does it actually cast well with a 0-weight line? Just curious, because that is one rod that has captured my imagination.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:30 pm • # 5 

I'm not the original poster but I have the same RDP rod, purchased from a classifieds member here. I have never cast it with a 0wt line because they are not cheaply available, but I have used both 1wt and 2wt lines on it. My subjective gut feeling is that it is closer to a true 1wt than a true 0wt.

Nice rod though, casts smooth, very light in the hand, has more butt than you think and you can put the wood to bigger fish if you need to. I've probably caught a hundred rainbows and cutthroats on it, up to about 14". My buddy fell on it once and broke my reel and reel seat but the rod was fine -- I sanded and epoxied the reel seat butt back on and went back to fishing...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:35 pm • # 6 

I also have RDP rods I built . One 0wt and two 1wts . All in the 7'6" range . I love the flimsy little sticks .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 pm • # 7 

I have caught some huge bass on my 0 wt rdp fly rod....huge meaning around 4 pounds....in weedy,stumpy snag infested lakes... awesome little stick....unless its windy :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:12 am • # 8 

It's a great fish fighting rod. The fella I bought it from caught a few really nice big chain pickerel on it, and I had a 6-7 lb pike hooked up on it which I failed to land -- human error, not the rod's fault. But between the medium action, light line weight and relatively short length casting my typical weighted flies is hard work on this rod, so it doesn't get fished as much as some other gear I own.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:59 am • # 9 

My RDP rods are more full flex than anything , certainly not med action . Are yours the 7'6" model ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:10 am • # 10 

jangles wrote:
My RDP rods are more full flex than anything , certainly not med action . Are yours the 7'6" model ?

RDP 0wt 7.5'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:11 pm • # 11 

I'm about to buy this 0wt blank to build my own. Thank you all for the feedback here.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:21 pm • # 12 

As per Marks website , full flex MF action . Fun rods .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:09 am • # 13 

I was "lawn casting" inside my shop the other day with the RDP 0wt and a reel I had nearby which had a 2wt line on it...the rod really likes a 2wt for heavier subsurface flies!

I could CRASH a #10 1/64 jig bugger into the wall 40' away with no false case and a strong double haul. The fly would easily have gone another 15 feet. The fly was dry, there was no wind and I was picking up off of concrete and not water, but still. I was impressed! I'd like to try a 1wt actually, probably better for the fishing I actually do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:10 pm • # 14 

lka wrote:
I was "lawn casting" inside my shop the other day with the RDP 0wt and a reel I had nearby which had a 2wt line on it...the rod really likes a 2wt for heavier subsurface flies!

I could CRASH a #10 1/64 jig bugger into the wall 40' away with no false case and a strong double haul. The fly would easily have gone another 15 feet. The fly was dry, there was no wind and I was picking up off of concrete and not water, but still. I was impressed! I'd like to try a 1wt actually, probably better for the fishing I actually do.

Who built your rod ? Post pictures for us !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:58 pm • # 15 

I have no idea who built it. I bought it a few years ago from the classifieds on this forum. It's nothing fancy, slip ring downlocking reel seat, half wells cork grip, single foot guides. I think the tip section was replaced at some point as it has slightly larger guides and no ferrule alignment dot. Nice rod.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply