It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 44 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:07 pm • # 21 

Late to the topic and haven't posted on here in ages, I moved from California to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan last year.

It's a lot easier to get into UL spinning gear than flyfishing gear and could be the reason for the disparity. I also think that UL spinning gear is a lot more versatile than UL FF gear. I can fling a small jig with 2lb test on a mlz10 a lot farther and deeper than I can a fly with my 0 wt.

I'm heading out on the kayak to the Les Cheneaux islands in the morning for perch and pike. I'd love to take the little flea flicker but it's the wrong kind of water and the forecast is for wind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:11 pm • # 22 

Ika,
Sometimes I wonder what the moderators and administrator on FFR are doing. I have heard this complaint come up a few times before. I helped Aaron
(TXH2Oman) get on the forum after he had tried for a couple of months. If you want to try again, PM me with your name, the username you used for FFR, and password, and I will try to get something done.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:14 pm • # 23 

lka wrote:
:o :o :o 8o ;) :applause :applause :applause

I have never actually posted on FFR -- I tried to register a couple years ago but they never approved my request. So my account exists but is inactive. I cannot re-register because my email is already in use. I tried to poke the mods to fix it a couple times but never made any progress. So...whatever!!

I am sure that was an admin slip, computer glitch.
Larry, very kind of you to help out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 am • # 24 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
Ika,
Sometimes I wonder what the moderators and administrator on FFR are doing. I have heard this complaint come up a few times before. I helped Aaron
(TXH2Oman) get on the forum after he had tried for a couple of months. If you want to try again, PM me with your name, the username you used for FFR, and password, and I will try to get something done.

Larry

And thanks for that, Larry! It has been a terrific resource, as has this forum!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:35 am • # 25 

Larry: PM sent. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:15 pm • # 26 

I have sent two PM's to one of the moderators, but after submission the message is not showing up in the Outbox or the Sent Messages. I don't know if the message is getting through or not. I posted about the problem and requested the moderator to E-mail me. Hopefully we can get something done. I noticed another problem at FFR today, when I tried to check on the Fiberglass Wiki, I got some type of Wiki set-up site. The admin may be working on something, and until finished some of the usual processes are not working. Dunno, over my head. Anyway, I don't give up easily. I'm retired, got a lot of time on my hands.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:17 pm • # 27 

Finally received a PM from one of the FFR moderators,. and was able to pass on to him your problem in gaining access to the FFR board. He was able to get TXH2Oman finally signed up, so he should be able to help you. I gave him your E-mail and Cameron should be getting in touch with you.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 pm • # 28 

Edited

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 pm • # 29 

Edited

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 am • # 30 

Unknownflyman wrote:
jangles wrote:
I too belong FFR but I'm not sure if I have ever posted . I don't know why but the site seems a little unfriendly , probably just me . I'll have to log back in and check it out some more .

I have "that rod " also Unknownflyman and Ika , unfortunately I left it home this trip but I do have two other FRs with me , an 8' 3/4 and a 6' 1/2 Olive . I may string one up and give it them a try .

Anyway I'm glad to see you guys post here .

I think the FFR is more friendly than the NAFFF by far. Anyway check it out if you want.

I`m going to just share a little of my experience posting on the forums. If I`m in a bad mood, I read into things sometimes, its hard to tell emotional content, Ive also really stepped in it by giving some people a hard time meant in fun and it really looked bad in text with no emotional context. Sometimes I read something I wrote and I even sound like a jerk to myself and that was not the intent. I believe this is the major source of peoples snarky attitude sometimes. Some people are there just to troll and start arguments, eventually people catch on and they get booted. Most of the time if people read my posts they are meant to be fun and in good spirits.

I dont beleive I have posted on FFR but I may be mistaken . My comment was not to be taken as I had had any problems there , just from a longtime reader/lurkers formed opinion .

As to NAFF , I have not been the best person there as I forget to put the little smiley guys behind my intended humor / sarcasm . In the last couple of months I have learned to not like a few self righteous , pompos know it alls and thier cheerleaders . I have since , as in today , contacted Ard to have my account deleted but he didnt want to do that so we settled on modifying so that I cant make a post until I cool off and email him . I however do enjoy quite a few peoples posts on said forum and yours are among them . Peace .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 am • # 31 

Ika,
I sent you a new PM.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:05 am • # 32 

edited

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:18 pm • # 33 

I started my journey into fishing just 5 years ago via tenkara and ulff. That cemented my love of doing it light but I found much greater fish catching flexibility in UL spin and BFS. So, that’s what I’ve mostly been doing the past couple years. Discovering how much lighter rods from Japan and China could be just fueled the fire. SUL, XUL...oh my! I still prefer the experience of landing a fish on UL fly but that’s outweighed by how many more fish I can get on gear, especially when bank fishing with trees all around. In the end it’s about what you enjoy. I feel no obligation towards any form of fishing. I’ll take the journey where it leads me.

PS - I used to love sharing my trips via photos but two things have caused me to do it less. First, taking the actual pic takes away from the moment in no small way. Second, posting the pics I do take is proving to be too much hassle. If I could post straight from Google Photos I’d be all over that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:15 pm • # 34 

jangles wrote:
it seems that there is more interest in UL spinning than UL Fly on this Ultralight Fly fishing forum ? I wonder why this is ? I joined this forum for the Fly Rod portion of it and it seems there is never anything to read anymore . Rant over .

Well, we're just going to have to remedy that problem, won't we.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:57 am • # 35 

What gets me is the number of views vs. the number of replies. And it seems it's the same people who actively reply on most of the threads. And to these people, I say thank you for keeping this forum interesting. But this problem happens on other forums as well.

Now, I will admit that I have not been on this forum very much in the past year, but I'm finding myself not fishing the bigger rivers as much anymore and have fallen in love with the creeks because they seem more intimate and personal, plus they are fisher friendly. Most of all, not many people fish them at all, so you can have an entire creek back in the woods all to your own.
And because of this, I will be using my two and three weights quite a bit more often, so I'll be here more regularly.

As for photo's, I have also gone to Post Image. Very simple to use after my teen age son educated me on how to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:32 pm • # 36 

Well due to my age , illnesses and memory I have not fished much in the last year and a half but I manage to post on here more than most , at least concerning ULFR's . I could give a crap about spinning rods as any moron (me included ) can cast and catch a fish on one . I am trying to get my chit together but doctors don't seem to understand my urgency . Having said that I'm headed to the San Juan again this Saturday for a week and will try not to forget my fly vest and rods . This trip I will be using rods ranging from 8' 4wt fiberglass to 11' 3wt nymph rods . Hopefully God will take mercy on me and let me catch a fishy . Also riding the train to Silverton for our 25th Anniversary .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:51 pm • # 37 

Knotty wrote:
I started my journey into fishing just 5 years ago via tenkara and ulff. That cemented my love of doing it light but I found much greater fish catching flexibility in UL spin and BFS. So, that’s what I’ve mostly been doing the past couple years. Discovering how much lighter rods from Japan and China could be just fueled the fire. SUL, XUL...oh my! I still prefer the experience of landing a fish on UL fly but that’s outweighed by how many more fish I can get on gear, especially when bank fishing with trees all around. In the end it’s about what you enjoy. I feel no obligation towards any form of fishing. I’ll take the journey where it leads me.

PS - I used to love sharing my trips via photos but two things have caused me to do it less. First, taking the actual pic takes away from the moment in no small way. Second, posting the pics I do take is proving to be too much hassle. If I could post straight from Google Photos I’d be all over that.

And Knotty we enjoy your excellent posts regardless of whether your fishing with Ultra light spinning or fly rod. Hope you keep posting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:22 pm • # 38 

And Knotty we enjoy your excellent posts regardless of whether your fishing with Ultra light spinning or fly rod. Hope you keep posting.

Jim Red , It was not my intention to single one individual out , rather just my disdain for spin and Tenkara fishing . Like I previously posted , I thought this was a forum for Ultra light Fly Fishing , thats the sole reason I joined this forum BUT I guess I can put up with the sub forums ! :lol Anyways please don't take it personally anyone , I'm old and suffer from goofiness . :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:23 pm • # 39 

Ron, when you say, "I'm old and suffer from goofiness", I for one can relate to that. And yes, flyfishing is still my main focus. UL spinning seems OK to me, and I might even get a wild hair and go off on that tangent myself. You recently brought up a subject that bears further exploration, that stuff about micro-light fly fishing or whatever that is. It may be just an attack of old-timer goofiness, but it seems logical that since smaller fish are more common than the really big ones, it's a good idea to have as much fun as possible with the ones in the sub-lunker category

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:23 pm • # 40 

PampasPete wrote:
Ron, when you say, "I'm old and suffer from goofiness", I for one can relate to that. And yes, flyfishing is still my main focus. UL spinning seems OK to me, and I might even get a wild hair and go off on that tangent myself. You recently brought up a subject that bears further exploration, that stuff about micro-light fly fishing or whatever that is. It may be just an attack of old-timer goofiness, but it seems logical that since smaller fish are more common than the really big ones, it's a good idea to have as much fun as possible with the ones in the sub-lunker category

There is an old Micro lite spin outfit from 20 years ago in the garage . I believe it's 4 maybe 4 1/2 feet or so . I think I may strip the guides off of it and make a FR out of it . Just for chits and giggles I fished it 2 years ago with an owt reel / line combo and I didnt catch anything bit I found that I could cast it . This will be a winter project as my fishing year is about to kick off .

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 44 posts ] New Topic Add Reply