It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 44 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: It may be just me but
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:39 pm • # 1 

it seems that there is more interest in UL spinning than UL Fly on this Ultralight Fly fishing forum ? I wonder why this is ? I joined this forum for the Fly Rod portion of it and it seems there is never anything to read anymore . Rant over .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:32 pm • # 2 

True, I've seen alot of first time posts that don't post again. I miss hearing from our international members, Laura Palmer our friends from Puerto Rico, New Zealand, Italy and etc. I got out of the habit of posting too; I fish 2-5wts and all of these wts equally. Much of the time I am fishing, for example, a 3 wt line on a 5 wt rod , i.e. lining down to UL, so technically it's not Ultralite but that's the way I want to fish.
Maybe the PhotoBucket fiasco had something to do with the downturn too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:48 pm • # 3 

I posted an alternative to Photobucket which is Post Image it's free it's very easy but nobody taking advantage of it I've made a few post and don't get any response so if people don't wake up and start using this forum for what it is what's the point , change the name ? Oh well , its good of you to respond Jim .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:00 am • # 4 

Edit

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:13 pm • # 5 

No, Jangles, it’s not just you. Things have been getting slower on this forum for some time now. Usually activity picks up as of April; this year it didn’t. But why?

One possibility is that the forum has become somewhat a victim of its own success. UL fly-fishing has become more accepted on other forums over the last couple of years. Some 5 to 10 years ago that wasn’t the case. Now folks on the two other forums that I read often mention using 2- or 3-weight rods in fiberglass or cane.

I’m not giving up, but I don’t plan on doing much if any fishing until the southern hemisphere spring rolls around, so I won’t be posting much of anything until then.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:31 am • # 6 

Jangles, I was just reminded of one of the reasons I have reduced my posts on this forum. I made a post last night, "my july 4th, and the post has already disappeared from the "View New Posts" and I presume that other's like me rely on the "view new posts" to find the "latest posts". As you referenced in your complaint, when we post something we are expecting a response, a conversation. This has happened repeatedly. I considered posting this morning about my experiences fishing with size 14 and smaller flies for the past two days, but as you said in your post. "What's the use".
On the other hand, I've seen other posts stay up longer; the criteria for removing posts from the new post category puzzles me.

Jangles, I regret that I missed your posts. I recall you had an impending trip to Colorado you were really looking forward to and I was looking
forward to reading your posts about the trip. Hope your experiments with active roll casting is going well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:46 am • # 7 

Jim, mostly I am disheartened I over the purpose and actual use of this forum . I joined this forum because of the title , Ultraliight Fly fishing . I couldn't give two farts in the wind about spinning . Anybody can cast anUL spin caster , that's what my wife uses . Oops I said that didn't I ? Glad she despises forums ! ! Anyway , UL is a subforum I guess but it seems from the trafic now the forum might as well be renamed . I have looked and will continue to look for another ULFF forum to join but will,check new posts here now and then .

As for,the Colorado trip , that starts next week . I will kick it off with a one or two week stay on the San Juan river,and go from there . Anyone reading this is welcome to drop up or by as it were , there is an extra bed in my fifth wheel , just don't snore like a grizzly and we will get along fine .
Jangles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:26 am • # 8 

Edited

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:49 am • # 9 

Unknownflyman wrote:
I think that it is true that UL is more accepted than before, but on other forums there is always a couple of those guys. The people that are still around here are really friendly and great, and that is the basis for keeping on here.

I fished a new 4wt glass today, had as much backbone as a 2wt slow rod, it bent past the cork, it was fun caught 4 dozen today some really nice ones. its a bit short for me and for the river I fished, I could have done better with the 7`6" 2wt.

Good luck on the Colorado trip Jangles, The pictures on FB coming out of the Juan are epic lately, Steelhead size trout. Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend!

That 4 wt sounds like a Prime, but Cabela's doesn't offer them anymore. What 4wt was it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:25 am • # 10 

Indeed, I think a lot of the UL discussion has shifted to mainstream fly fishing forums. But if anything the resurgence in fiberglass has taken a bigger bite. I know my initial interest in UL was because I wanted something that was more fun to catch bluegill and little bass with than the super fast 5wt that I (and most everyone else in the modern era) started fly fishing on. UL solved that problem well, but I realized that so does fiberglass and over the past year I find myself more often grabbing the fiberglass when I head out the door. That's not to say my UL rods are gathering dust, but they aren't the only way to skin the cat in this era of widespread availability of fly fishing information on the internet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:22 pm • # 11 

Edit

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:50 pm • # 12 

I have been a member of the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum since January, 2007. I remember when Jeremy posted about fishing with UL fly rods and was roundly berated by a few members, stating he might be having fun fishing UL, but was overstressing and killing fish. As we know, that is not necessarily true if you know how to use UL effectively. He started this forum shortly thereafter as a refuge from the hidebound people who didn't understand UL flyfishing. He has rarely returned to FFR since that time. Times and attitudes change. Over on FFR now you will see a lot of mention of ultralight rods, and very seldom is any disdain for this type of fishing mentioned. I have glass rods ranging from 2 to 8 weight, but by far the majority are 2 and 3 weights, as that is what I enjoy fishing the most. However, as fiberglass rods tend to be much more flexible for a given line weight, even a 6 weight glass rod can be enjoyable while fishing for sunfish, while a graphite rod will likely feel like a broomstick in comparison. It is frequently pointed out that with UL fishing, you are able to land larger fish by just using a stronger tippet while pointing the rod at the fish. This is true with any rod, but a glass rod fished in the usual fashion does offer considerably more protection for a light tippet. When fish are being very selective a light tippet is often required. While FFR is my primary home, I still enjoy checking out ULFF on a daily basis, but yes I also have noticed a decline in posting. I'm not sure why, but perhaps because it is limited to a very small aspect of flyfishing, and there is only so much that can be said. Although FFR is primarily about fiberglass, it covers a very wide range of interests in flyfishing, including information on vintage and new fly reels, fly rod collecting, flytying, and the fishing information covers everything from UL to salt water flyfishing. I have been, and still am, a member of several flyfishing forums. After a period of years, when the same topics keep coming up over and over, you eventually start looking for something new. For new members, everything is new and fresh, but for older members the old arguments and discussions become somewhat boring after a while. Pardon my long
dissertation.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:22 pm • # 13 

Nope, not just you. I still fish ul 98% of the time. The biggest problem is posting images. I’m sort of like Cliff without pictures it didn’t happen. I know it’s wrong. I have post image, but haven’t figured out how to post straight from my phone to here. I always seem to forget to upload pictures to post image, especially when I’m fishing almost everyday on the way to work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:57 pm • # 14 

There is also a bigger gap in terms of barrier for entry to fiberglass vs UL graphite. My "UL" glass rod can be had brand new for $20 (6.5' Eagle Claw 3/4 Featherlight) and casts ridiculously well. I could probably chop down a small bush with it and not hurt it, but it bends to the cork on a bluegill and even as a mediocre caster I can fish 50' without working very hard. A decent graphite 0wt/1wt is probably on paper a superior fishing tool, but they start at a few hundred bucks and go up rapidly from there.

It isn't like UL has gone away. Even on the Fiberglass Fly Rodders forum, historically the most commonly discussed rod weights were 6-7-8 wts, but now you see a lot more talk of 3-4 wts.

Thankfully the days of whinging about killing fish due to using UL are mostly over at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:45 pm • # 15 

Edit

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:49 pm • # 16 

mbarker68x wrote:
Nope,...

Has anyone tried the Tapatalk app? I haven't tried the android app, but the iOS works pretty well on my tablet. It uploads pictures directly from the device.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:51 am • # 17 

Unknownflyman wrote:
Ika, I have that rod too and I like it a lot . I can say that for glass I think the UL designation goes up a couple weights on slow glass. The CGR and the Featherlight is UL bend to the cork equipment, My 2wt graphite has more backbone.

As an aside, I have a couple of 60's vintage 7wt and 7-8wt glass rods that bend to the cork on small fish. I'm sure if I ever caught one they'd bend plenty on large fish too ;D. By no measure are they UL rods but regardless they are fun to fish and very versatile!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:24 am • # 18 

I too belong FFR but I'm not sure if I have ever posted . I don't know why but the site seems a little unfriendly , probably just me . I'll have to log back in and check it out some more .

I have "that rod " also Unknownflyman and Ika , unfortunately I left it home this trip but I do have two other FRs with me , an 8' 3/4 and a 6' 1/2 Olive . I may string one up and give it them a try .

Anyway I'm glad to see you guys post here .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:05 pm • # 19 

On every forum there are a few members that occasionally get a little short with their answers or responses. There are usually a few members that just don't always get along with each other, and take occasions to snipe at each other. But, overall, I have found FFR and ULFF to be among the more civil forums. I have been on this forum long enough to recall a few unfriendly conversations among and between a few members. In some of those cases, people left the forum to never return. Unfortunately, people just don't always get along. Also, as we are communicating in print, some things don't come across as clearly as they do when conversing face to face. When actually talking face to face you get a lot of clues via facial expression, tone of voice, etc. that somebody is joking or speaking satirically. In print all you have to go on is the printed word, and frequently misunderstandings arise from this. This is why emojis were invented.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:59 pm • # 20 

:o :o :o 8o ;) :applause :applause :applause

I have never actually posted on FFR -- I tried to register a couple years ago but they never approved my request. So my account exists but is inactive. I cannot re-register because my email is already in use. I tried to poke the mods to fix it a couple times but never made any progress. So...whatever!!

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 44 posts ] New Topic Add Reply