It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Run off
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:13 pm • # 1 

As you may know, Colorado's snow pack has been award winning this past Spring. Not every day does it snow two feet in Steamboat Springs on the first day of summer. That just didn't make sense, but you know what I mean.
But it has caused a bitter sweet problem. Colorado has lots of water. No doubt about it, we will have rivers and creeks flowing very well into late Autumn. That's a good thing. The bad thing is, it's July and the creeks and rivers look like they do in June, during prime run off time. It's making fishing tough.

Last week I went into the high country like I normally do during run off because it's a little more forgiving. Ha ha, not this year. This is normally a creek one can wade pretty easily this time of year. This isn't what I was expecting.

This turned out to be a search & destroy mission. Wading was not a good idea. The creek is normally 15 feet wide, and basically still is, but it's deep and running very fast. I walked the banks through the thick woods trying to find any soft water to fish. There were, but getting to most of them was very tricky. There was no casting involved, but the bow & arrow cast did fine. To be honest, most of the soft water was right along the banks, behind rocks or in little eddies. So all I really had to do was plop the fly in the water by hand. Any other way was over kill.

I used only one fly. And by that, I don't mean just one pattern, no, I mean just one fly, the Renegade. I just kept on retying it back on my tippet.This fly is a killer here on this creek, and today was no exception. I did manage a few fish out of this mess of turbulent water, a few browns and brookies. Here's one of the nicer looking brookies.

Not too long after this brown decided to introduce itself.

It was a tough day, and I'm not talking about the fishing itself, but the walking through the woods to find another little spot. The fallen timber got worse the deeper I went in, and and walking around with my 3wt cane rod, I was moving around carefully because one wrong move and you can easily break the tip off your rod in this stuff. to give you somewhat of an idea of the area, this is pretty much what I was facing.

I will have to say, that with all the moisture we have had, our state flowers, the Columbine's, are looking fantastic this year spread across the woodland areas.

Once the waters calm down, I will be heading into the Lion's Den again. Last year it was no disappointment with the fish and the bears back in there. I saw one fish last Oct. rise for my fly, and it missed it. It was a very large fish for this creek. A friend who was down stream of me didn't see it, but he heard the splash. So I have a fish to hunt down this year.

Post subject: Re: Run off
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:10 am • # 2 

I'm not sure if I should congratulate you or offer sympathy... so, I'll just compliment the picture of the Columbines!

Great report!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:15 pm • # 3 

Beautiful stream , high or not . That Brookie is nice also . Looks like a great place for new 7'6" Blue Halo or maybe even better my 6' 3 pc 2wt olive build glass rod .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:39 pm • # 4 

tough conditions to fish ....but makes for some great pics. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 pm • # 5 

joe the plumber wrote:
tough conditions to fish ....but makes for some great pics. Thanks

You think thats tough ? Try fishing a stream in Tucson !! :lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:35 pm • # 6 

jangles wrote:
Beautiful stream , high or not . That Brookie is nice also . Looks like a great place for new 7'6" Blue Halo or maybe even better my 6' 3 pc 2wt olive build glass rod .

Those would be perfect rods for this creek under normal conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:30 pm • # 7 

Thanks for the post, interesting reading about fishing conditions in other locations. The renegade is one of my favourite flys for blue gill.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:19 am • # 8 

the renegade fly pattern ......which really looks like nothing to me ,can be a game changer. Bass ,bluegill even crappie have taken it when nothing else would work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:42 am • # 9 

Edited

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply