It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:31 pm • # 1 

I took yesterday off and did what was more important. I went fishing.

So I packed up my 3wt. cane & headed out into the vast wilderness of Colorado fishing one of my favorite creeks, which name I will keep to myself.

The water is still a little high and running fast, but it's coming down and I was able to wade through it. It did make fishing a little tough, but I had fun searching out the little areas that looked fishy and picking the pockets. All in all, I did pretty well with about a dozen brookies and a nice cutthroat for that creek

Check out this beautiful pond.

High mountain scenery

Here's a few pics of the creek

It was a day of dry fly fishing, my favorite way to fish. And it seemed the Delaware Adams was the fly of choice. I started with a Renegade, but the fish wanted the D. Adams, so I wasn't going to argue with them. They even refused ants, which is weird. The weather started off really nice with a slight breeze, but being in these trees it wasn't even noticeable. Humming birds were flying around me watching what I was doing, and I saw three beautiful doe's crossing the creek. They saw me and took off like rabbits jumping over anything and everything. Deer can jump like you wouldn't believe. Makes me wonder why or how we don't see them laying around with broken legs because the area I saw them has many holes in tall grass and willows. I step in them all the time and worry about breaking my ankles.

I found a small log about 3 feet from the bank with the current flowing fast on my side of it, but between the log and bank it was a nice soft area, so I tossed my fly in there and it wasn't 2 seconds before I got the star of the day. Just a lovely cutthroat for this creek.

The brookies averaged anywhere from 6 to 8 inches, but this one was a surprise.

As soon as the water level goes down a bit more, I'll be heading into the Lion's Den. I can't wait for that day to come. I like that place, and the fishing is fantastic. I just don't like looking over my shoulder all the time while I'm in there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 pm • # 2 

Beautiful color on that brookie.

Barry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:29 pm • # 3 

Beautiful! thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:18 am • # 4 

That sounds like a nice time, and you certainly provided us with some good photography. Too bad you were sick, hope you feel better soon!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:14 am • # 5 

Looks like you picked a perfect day to take off. Great report!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:51 pm • # 6 

It looked like a absolutely perfect day. Beautiful country.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply