It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Watcha doin' ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:04 pm • # 1 

When I haven't been working six days a week I have been trying to get ready for the new season to arrive. I have been buying a few rods rods from Elkhorn like the new AMP 905 and the new AMP 894. But the latest rod I purchased is the 863 Traveler from Elkhorn. I got to use it once, but it was so windy it was almost impossible to use. But I did manage one fish with it, and I really like the feel of the rod when a fish is on.

In the evenings I have been tying flies to send to my friends across the Atlantic in return for some of their favorite flies to try over here. I have been doing this for a year now and some of the flies they have sent me have been working out very well. And speaking of flies, I'm tying a bunch of Sawyers Killer Bugs because I'm curious to see how they do in our freestone creeks and rivers. Easy fly to tie, and it does look promising. All in all, I have had a good time exchanging flies and I'm getting anxious to try some out. A good friend from Scotland sent me a beautiful wooden box filled with classic wet flies, so that should be fun fishing those this summer.

What have you all been up to?

Post subject: Re: Watcha doin' ?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:00 pm • # 2 

I have been doing pretty much the same except I build all my rods and buy my flys off ebay . I have a fly tieing kit but I have never found the interest to do it , okay I tied one and threw it away . Also I have been recovering from back surgery with spinal fusion and just started PT . Hopefully I will benefit enough mfrom it to make my plans for the summer com to fruition ! lol I'm also busy building a 7' 3wt fiberglass rod but am stuck at color combo for the guide wraps .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:49 pm • # 3 

jangles wrote:
I have been doing pretty much the same except I build all my rods and buy my flys off ebay . I have a fly tieing kit but I have never found the interest to do it , okay I tied one and threw it away . Also I have been recovering from back surgery with spinal fusion and just started PT . Hopefully I will benefit enough mfrom it to make my plans for the summer com to fruition ! lol I'm also busy building a 7' 3wt fiberglass rod but am stuck at color combo for the guide wraps .

I hope your back recovers well with the PT Jangles, and that you'll be able to get out and fish this summer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:09 pm • # 4 

Iasgair wrote:
jangles wrote:

I hope your back recovers well with the PT Jangles, and that you'll be able to get out and fish this summer.

Thank you for the kind words .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 pm • # 5 

The catching part of fly fishing has been very slow for me this winter. I've been experimenting with modifying fly lines.

Most of the fly lines are modified with mono and braid as the running line and the heads are 21 foot sections; these are fished with a "pick up and shoot" cast.
I made one setup for spey casting from a 12wt saltwater fly line I found on sale; I used the running line from a 2 wt WF as a running line for the spey rig; it works great for casting but is not much fun catching small fish on.

The head of the 2 wt WF that I took the running line off of for the spey rig was used as a shooting head in front of 50 lb braid and that worked out well.

Also experimented with using 50 lb braid as a sink tip. The store brought sink tips are difficult for me to fish, cast with, but the 50 lb braid works great.

So until the catching part of fishing picks up, I'll keep amusing myself with fly line construction and testing the results with my 2-5 wts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:49 pm • # 6 

Doing? Not much in a material sense, at least in the physical world.

Mentally and academically I’m still informing myself on the Hollowcore braid and flyline idea spoke of earlier this year. Learning what I can from the salty gents about topshot rigging and how to appropriately size hollowcore to other materials by diameters. It’s narrowing down to something resembling a workable theory as of late.

Did discover a previously unknown product (P-Line Hydrofloat) which is used by the centerpin crowd and is a PVC coated spectra braid with much more body and kinder handling than regular uncoated braids. Not the most durable coating according to some, but then I intend to sleeve it into hollowcore so it’s a non-issue there. Hard to find the stuff, harder to figure proper sizing of these two materials together, but I’m still intrigued by it all.

Some of these materials are kinda expensive and come in large amounts so I’d like to buy accurately the first time to eliminate useless accumulations of lines. Always trying to do something strange so there’s never a existent playbook and I have to make up my own from scratch so it takes time.

I really like the described characteristics of the P-Line Hydrofloat as a core material and it comes in higher tests as well (30-50lb). Reckon I’ll buy two spools, measure, then get a better idea of what hollowcore will work with it. From there I’ll just make a looooooooong threader rod, those short little DaHo needles ain’t gonna cut it for 50+ feet of sneakin’ core line into braid.

Into the uncharted waters yet again for another year. :rollin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 pm • # 7 

knotjoe wrote:
Doing? Not much in a material sense, at least in the physical world.

Mentally and academically I’m still informing myself on the Hollowcore braid and flyline idea spoke of earlier this year. Learning what I can from the salty gents about topshot rigging and how to appropriately size hollowcore to other materials by diameters. It’s narrowing down to something resembling a workable theory as of late.

Did discover a previously unknown product (P-Line Hydrofloat) which is used by the centerpin crowd and is a PVC coated spectra braid with much more body and kinder handling than regular uncoated braids. Not the most durable coating according to some, but then I intend to sleeve it into hollowcore so it’s a non-issue there. Hard to find the stuff, harder to figure proper sizing of these two materials together, but I’m still intrigued by it all.

Some of these materials are kinda expensive and come in large amounts so I’d like to buy accurately the first time to eliminate useless accumulations of lines. Always trying to do something strange so there’s never a existent playbook and I have to make up my own from scratch so it takes time.

I really like the described characteristics of the P-Line Hydrofloat as a core material and it comes in higher tests as well (30-50lb). Reckon I’ll buy two spools, measure, then get a better idea of what hollowcore will work with it. From there I’ll just make a looooooooong threader rod, those short little DaHo needles ain’t gonna cut it for 50+ feet of sneakin’ core line into braid.

Into the uncharted waters yet again for another year. :rollin

From what you have described, that's all above my school science days. I wish you the best of luck in this and I bet you'll figure it all out soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:43 pm • # 8 

Iasgair wrote:
From what you have described, that's all above my school science days.

Nah, simple concept, just a PITA trying to obtain the unusual materials and size them together correctly. Hydrofloat is hard to find in stock.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:52 pm • # 9 

I am searching here and there for a bumper pull Toy Hauler with the front queen bed . Seems like everyone wants 2to5 K over book value . I am tired of pulling double trailers and my Rhino would fit perfectly in one of these .

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply