It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:36 pm • # 1 

Removing small hooks size 16 and smaller which are often used in ul flyfishing isn't always easy.

What are you using? If hooked in the lip I often use my hands but if hooked deeper you might need a tool. I have forceps to remove hooks but for small hooks it isn't so great and it often destroys small dry flies as it is hard to grip the shank of a size 18 hook.

I have this device from china and really like it for small flies. Removes even swallowed dry flies without hurting the fish or destroying the fly. Also costs just one buck.
#Aliexpress € 0,65 15%OFF | Fishing Supplies Hook Picker Decoupling Device Stainless Steel Hook Puller Locking Clamp Curved Tip Forceps Fish Hook Remover.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_U55rE

I have this device and a regular forceps on a zipper. What are you using? Anything better out there?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:53 pm • # 2 

Are you using barbless hooks?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:56 pm • # 3 

I use hemostats .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:07 pm • # 4 

Go barbless! And even with barbless, forceps are a breeze when the fish swallows the hook.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 am • # 5 

Domenickk: That's an intriguing tool you've linked to! I have a ketchum release tool on my vest, but I'd say 90% of the time, when I can't pop the (barbless) fly out safely with my fingers, I use a tiny set of forceps (hemostats) about 3" long in total.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 am • # 6 

I use carabiners with the safety latches for hooks , just sharpen the points . That way all one has to do is snap the latch and pull the carabiner out . :eek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:08 pm • # 7 

I mostly use normal hooks but I pinch the barb down so there isn't much left.

I mostly use fingers too but when it is swallowed deeper i like this tool for smaller flies because I have trouble grabbing a smaller fly without destroying it completely. That tool you just slide over the leader and push slightly forward, even works without touching the fish.

Have read about the ketchum tool too but 1 buck was hard to pass for that Chinese tool. For larger hooks I also have forceps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:39 pm • # 8 

Either small hemostats or Ketchum Release tool.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:40 pm • # 9 

I've posted this pic elsewhere on the web, pretty much how I do the "forked stick" thing with hook removal. Never liked pinching flies as it always seems to damage the materials not he shank so I just back 'em out with the notched tools.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:25 pm • # 10 

jangles wrote:
I use hemostats .

This!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:46 am • # 11 

Dominikk85 wrote:
Removing small hooks size 16 and smaller which are often used in ul flyfishing isn't always easy.

What are you using? If hooked in the lip I often use my hands but if hooked deeper you might need a tool. I have forceps to remove hooks but for small hooks it isn't so great and it often destroys small dry flies as it is hard to grip the shank of a size 18 hook.

I have this device from china and really like it for small flies. Removes even swallowed dry flies without hurting the fish or destroying the fly. Also costs just one buck.
#Aliexpress € 0,65 15%OFF | Fishing Supplies Hook Picker Decoupling Device Stainless Steel Hook Puller Locking Clamp Curved Tip Forceps Fish Hook Remover.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_U55rE

I have this device and a regular forceps on a zipper. What are you using? Anything better out there?

Be careful using that tool from China because they have secretly infected the tip of it with coronavirus to try and slowly infect the USA with the virus. The virus they use on the tip of that tool is 1000 times more potent than the virus that's spreading around the world now. It's a secret conspiracy that only I and five others have discovered. I tried to tell the CIA, The SEC, the FBI, the NAACP, the Big 12 (that doesn't have 12 members), the ACLU, the PAC 10 and a few others but they won't listen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:04 pm • # 12 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
..... but they won't listen.

So sad. Too bad, really, because your conspiracy theories generally run well into the 5% accuracy level. Oh well, their loss. :lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:48 am • # 13 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:
..... but they won't listen.

So sad. Too bad, really, because your conspiracy theories generally run well into the 5% accuracy level. Oh well, their loss. :lol

5% !!! Wow, that's much higher than I thought. :lol I'd tell you about some other secret conspiracy theories but then I'd have to kill you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:07 pm • # 14 

:lol I'll pass.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:54 pm • # 15 

The Big 10 has 12 members...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:23 am • # 16 

...I heard that teams from only one country play in the World Series!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 am • # 17 

wheezeburnt wrote:
...I heard that teams from only one country play in the World Series!

That's because "We Are The World!" I think that was the name of the song.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:16 pm • # 18 

Picked up a few pair of "stats" from the local flea mkt, couple $$ a pair, call me cheap, but they work pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:04 pm • # 19 

I always carry some hemostatic forceps, but I do have the 8-inch "mini panfish" size of the ARC dehooker and use that a lot too. So long as hooks are at least size 12 and my tippet material is strong enough to handle lifting the fish it is quicker and less traumatic to both fish and fly than the forceps.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:37 pm • # 20 

I pinch all my barbs so I can usually take them out with my fingers however on the rare occasion I can't I have a pair of 3" scissor clamps by Dr. Slick I'm mostly happy with. If only removing really small flies and not crushing shot/barbs maybe look into their spring creek clamps, the jaws are much thinner and more delicate and the jaws on all their clamps are ground flat/smooth to help not damage flies. I prefer curved clamps but it all comes down to preference. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply