It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:48 pm • # 1 

So a bit of a story, sorry. I started fly fishing about 10 years ago or so. I couldn't tell you what the initial appeal was at the time, probably the scenery of small creeks and the enjoyment of catching small fish. I was a fan of ultralight spin fishing back then. I bought a TFO NXT combo, sat in an Orvis 101 class and started my addiction. In the Orvis store, I fell in love with the Superfine rod, but that was far out of reach for me at the time. When I felt I was ready to move from casting the 5/6 NXT at the local pond and hit the warm water creeks I was craving to fish, I bought the closest thing to that Superfine I could afford, a TFO Finesse Series 7'9" 3wt paired with a Redington Drift click and pawl reel. I instantly fell in love with ultralight fly fishing. I spent the next 8 years chasing every species I could catch in small creeks including one trip to the Driftless to catch my first Brown Trout.

The end of 2018 I had extensive surgery on my right arm and wrist. I didn't fish much in 2019 and did try the 5/6wt at the pond only to realize my wrist gets fatigued very quickly. So this year I decided to get back to fishing as much as I can and since I have not purchased a new rod since I first started, I was going to treat myself. I was torn on what size and tier rod to get. I knew I had the 3wt and really wanted an all around 4wt but also thought my wrist may handle a more modern, efficient 5wt. I started looking for a nice 4wt and go from there. Missed a couple good deals on Winston's on the FB pages and just kept checking for another to pop up.

I called a local fly shop to ask if they had any used 4wt rods in the shop and he said no, but I do have an Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 7'6". I felt a bit of awe and excitement and I told him I'd stop in to look at it. When I walked up and told him who I was he set the tube in front of, then placed a box in front of me and said, "i forgot to tell you on the phone, but for a little more you get this reel with a spare spool." It was a bronze colored Orvis CFO. Almost the exact setup I tried to emulate nearly 10 years ago.

I walked out with the setup and came to the conclusion I'll just get a Echo Carbon XL for my 4 or 5wt rod for my local river and pond, but I'll have my first love for the fishing I like doing the most. I really hope it lives up to my expectation I've built up, but comparing it to my TFO, Im confident it will.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:15 pm • # 2 

Would you consider learning casting with the left hand if the right hand doesn't get better? Maybe that would be a solution to prolong your flyfishing career.

I'm actually often switching hands at shorter distances but I'm also a natural lefty so it is easier for me.

But if you have long term issues maybe relearning it competely with the other hand might be an option maybe even with a casting teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 pm • # 3 

I was going to suggest that too . I can cast both hands just not so good with the off hand . Going straight high sticking or euro nymphing is another option and you'll probably catch more fish ! lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:15 pm • # 4 

I think you're going to love that Orvis rod. Congrats on capturing that rod and reel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:15 pm • # 5 

Sorry, posted twice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:18 pm • # 6 

Iasgair wrote:
Sorry, posted twice.

Thats one way to get your post count up there ! :lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:48 pm • # 7 

I'm another advocate of fly casting with both hands. I started fly casting with my off hand a few years back and have never achieved with my left the ease I feel with my right, but pretty close.
Worth the effort to learn. Now when both arms are capable to cast, I can keep my cast over the water while walking a bank; if one arm or shoulder is sore, I can rest it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:22 am • # 8 

Thank you all for the advice. While I may not get proficient at long distance casts with heavier rods with my left, I do think nice small casts with small flies should be achievable. Ill give it a go next time out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:23 am • # 9 

Thank you all for the advice. While I may not get proficient at long distance casts with heavier rods with my left, I do think nice small casts with small flies should be achievable. Ill give it a go next time out.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply