It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 2 or 3 wt?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:11 pm • # 1 

Hello all, new to the forum and to fly fishing but not fishing in general. I just purchased my first rod this year, a 8' 4wt Redington CT, it seemed like the best all round rod for my needs however I know by later in the summer I'll be looking for something lighter and possibly/likely shorter. I haven't got to use my rod much so far since it's still very cold here but once I get more used to it I'll have a better understanding of what I want in a lighter rod I believe (longer/shorter, glass/graphite, etc). I want more time on my current rod before going out to buying more so it won't be immediately but when the time comes would I be better off with a 3 or a 2wt? The water I fish are freestone creeks in upstate ny averaging 20-30' across in most places and sometimes not even that, and the fish are generally under 14" however occasionally I do hook trout over 20" but have never had any problems landing them on my UL spinning rod which is a G. Loomis IMX 0 power rod which is softer than their typical UL and I love it! Please share your thoughts freely and if you have any small/light rod suggestions that should be on my radar don't hesitate to stare. Keep in mind however that I am not a Rockefeller and my limit for a rod ends at ~$150. I have played with the idea of just grabbing one of the $30 glass Eagle Claw rods in 6'6" just to try out a short glass rod for cheap, it's obviously not going to be a Butterstick or a Superfine but such rods are well above my price range. If you need any more info or even pics of the waters I fish or the fish I'm likely to see please ask and I'll respond asap. I will try to find a local shop that will let me try a few rods as that's always best however shops are far and few where I live and I doubt 2wt rods are really common so I will have to wait and see how that hunt goes.

Post subject: Re: 2 or 3 wt?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 pm • # 2 

A 3wt is more universal especially if you want to cast bead heads and streamers but then again you already have a 4 wt and a 3 wt and a 4 wt aren't that different.

If you had a 5 wt i would say get the 3 but since you have a 4 a 3 might feel a bit redundant and you might try the 2 wt as you still can use the 4 on windy days or for heavier/bigger flies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:47 pm • # 3 

Dominikk85 wrote:
A 3wt is more universal especially if you want to cast bead heads and streamers but then again you already have a 4 wt and a 3 wt and a 4 wt aren't that different.

If you had a 5 wt i would say get the 3 but since you have a 4 a 3 might feel a bit redundant and you might try the 2 wt as you still can use the 4 on windy days or for heavier/bigger flies.

No 5wt, if I go heavier it will most likely be a 6 but that's a decision for another day/forum :) I too feel like a 3wt might be redundant, I think for now I'm gonna get a cheap shorter rod (around 6'6") and try using it along with my 8' rod until I decide which length works best for me in most of my fishing situations. Rod length has been a big problem for me because it's so subjective so I really want to try 2-3 different length rods before investing any substantial amount in a 2 or 3wt outfit. Once I know what length I'm looking for it will make selecting a new rod much simpler for me. I am leaning twords a 2wt and I am very happy with my Redington CT where I've used it so if I find I can live with a 7'6" rod it would likely be my first 2wt but if I decide I need shorter I really don't know what my options are.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 pm • # 4 

In glass you might look at a Cabela's CGR, a 6' 3" 3 piece 2 weight. I have several 2 weight rods, and although some are pretty expensive, the CGR at about $70 is still one of my favorites. You will need to practice with it a while as it has a fairly slow action. In graphite at about the same price, you can find a Maxcatch ultralight on Amazon. You could get a 6' 2 weight with some custom touches from Cane and Silk for about $160, in a medium-fast glass action.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:39 pm • # 5 

I find 3wt lines to definitely reside on the UL side of the fence, while 4wt lines sit firmly on the light side. That said, many, if not most, true 4wt rods (not 5wts masquerading as 4s) can easily cast 3wt lines, and some can handle 2wt lines. So my recommendation would be to try to find a 3wt line to cast on your 4wt rod. If it works for you, you may only need a line and extra spool. Then your decision will be to stick to that combo or start searching for a 2wt, or even 1wt, rod, line, and reel. For a relatively new fly fisherman, it might serve you better to really get to know what your 8ft 4wt can do, even if low water conditions drive you to try a 3wt line on it. I'd save the new UL rod search for next off season when you have a clearer idea of what you need and want.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:34 pm • # 6 

Cross Creek wrote:
I find 3wt lines to definitely reside on the UL side of the fence, while 4wt lines sit firmly on the light side. That said, many, if not most, true 4wt rods (not 5wts masquerading as 4s) can easily cast 3wt lines, and some can handle 2wt lines. So my recommendation would be to try to find a 3wt line to cast on your 4wt rod. If it works for you, you may only need a line and extra spool. Then your decision will be to stick to that combo or start searching for a 2wt, or even 1wt, rod, line, and reel. For a relatively new fly fisherman, it might serve you better to really get to know what your 8ft 4wt can do, even if low water conditions drive you to try a 3wt line on it. I'd save the new UL rod search for next off season when you have a clearer idea of what you need and want.

I've been thinking the same exact thing as far as waiting for the off-season or at least fall before getting a true ultralight, sounds like the best idea. I believe that all but the 2wt Classic Trout rods by Redington are true to weight and do not require to be lined up like so many of the modern graphite rods seem to benefit from. Thanks for your suggestions on lining down, it's something I'll definitely keep in mind as my fly fishing ability improves. I do think I'll take a shot on one of those $25 eagle claw fly rods tho just to try a short rod too, at that price I don't stand to lose much.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:31 am • # 7 

I have similiar conditions where I live and have found a 2wt to cover all my trout fishing locally.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:05 pm • # 8 

I believe that all but the 2wt Classic Trout rods by Redington are true to weight and do not require to be lined up like so many of the modern graphite rods seem to benefit from.

I do not own this rod but have looked at them . are you saying that the CT 2 weight should have been called a 3 weight?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:56 pm • # 9 

Skunkedalot wrote:
I believe that all but the 2wt Classic Trout rods by Redington are true to weight and do not require to be lined up like so many of the modern graphite rods seem to benefit from.

I do not own this rod but have looked at them . are you saying that the CT 2 weight should have been called a 3 weight?

More like a 2.5 from what I've heard/read, I haven't had the chance to try one myself but they are said to have a faster action than the rest of the series and therefore benefit from a slightly heavier line.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 pm • # 10 

I second the CGR as a choice for an inexpensive 2wt rod. The reel is held on with slip rings which is annoying, if I were wading I would want one wrap of tape around the rings and reel foot just to insure I didn't drop the reel.
Some folks complain about fitting a reel on the CGR 2 wt. I've used inexpensive graphite reels and I file down the reel's feet to get a snug fit; this works really well for me and only takes s few minutes of filing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:23 pm • # 11 

Edited

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:49 pm • # 12 

I haven't found much I couldn't do with a fast 2wt and never felt the need to own a 3wt. A slow/medium action rod like the Redington CT or the glass CGR might be different in that you won't be able to cast as far or as heavy flies so those rods would be a little less versatile (but probably more rewarding to fish -- it's a tradeoff).

I was fishing the 2wt at the end of last season with 1/80oz #8 jig head flies a few feet under a 1" trout magnet foam peg bobber. It was crazy how well that rod cast that rig. I was impressed. I wish that rod was longer, I'd probably use it for nearly everything.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:23 pm • # 13 

I agree the CT 2wt is a bit underrated for the series but still not as underrated as most 2wts. I have the short 3wt and love the action. I can do a lot with it and don't find it lacking at all. It in no way compares to the CGR, which if you fish graphite, would feel floppy. I also don't think there's enough difference between the CT 2 and 3wts, esp given they're the same exact length (which I was confused by).

I also don't know if the short 3wt would be enough of a difference from your 8' 4wt. But I would never try to talk someone out of having another 3wt. I think it's usually the best all around weight for smallish situations. I like a 7' 3wt that is medium but not floppy. Can do lots of stuff with that.

The TFO Finesse 1wt is super capable and I would assume the 2wt is even more (love the length of 7' 3"). I am pretty sure the new version is the same tapers, except they jacked up the price.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:35 pm • # 14 

preast wrote:
I agree the CT 2wt is a bit underrated for the series but still not as underrated as most 2wts. I have the short 3wt and love the action. I can do a lot with it and don't find it lacking at all. It in no way compares to the CGR, which if you fish graphite, would feel floppy. I also don't think there's enough difference between the CT 2 and 3wts, esp given they're the same exact length (which I was confused by).

I also don't know if the short 3wt would be enough of a difference from your 8' 4wt. But I would never try to talk someone out of having another 3wt. I think it's usually the best all around weight for smallish situations. I like a 7' 3wt that is medium but not floppy. Can do lots of stuff with that.

The TFO Finesse 1wt is super capable and I would assume the 2wt is even more (love the length of 7' 3"). I am pretty sure the new version is the same tapers, except they jacked up the price.

I havn't decided what I like best for action yet, graphite or glass so I have a few rods on my list which include the Finesse and also the Signature II by them, along with the CT and the CGR.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:01 pm • # 15 

Edited

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:28 am • # 16 

Another vote for the Redington 2 wt here. Small fish are a blast and can handle bigger fish when required. My second favorite rod after my 3/4 Steffen.

I wouldn’t put the CGR 2 wt. in the same class at all. Fun with small fish but not up to handling anything larger, in my experience anyway.

Harry

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply