It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Can A Reel Be Too Light?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:58 am • # 1 

For a graphite rod, can a fly reel be too light for the rod? I have seen lots of talk about balancing your reel/rod, some say it's crucial, others say it's not, some say rods cast better with no reel. What do yall look for when you buy a new reel? weight, arbor size, features, etc? Do you just go as light as possible while still having room for your line or make an effort to balance the outfit?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:12 am • # 2 

I keep seeing photos of people with their full reel attached to rod, and balancing on their finger at some magical point. Not sure how this is particularly helpful, since the outfit is used with somewhere between 20 and 80 feet of that heavy line no longer on the reel, but hanging off the end of the rod. Might be interesting to see where that 'balance point' is with 45' of line out there. I've no doubt that hanging my salmon reel with 9wt sinking line on my 3wt rod would be an awkward and tiring proposition to cast, but I'm not sure its the end of the world if the reel is a little lighter or heavier, within reason.
Can't say I ever lost a fish that I could blame on the reel, and my collection (perhaps 12?) range in price from $17 to about $200 in today's market. Probably average around $45. I look for a smooth rotation and drag, a reversible wind option, largish arbor, and a price that won't bother me when I drop it on the rocks.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:54 pm • # 3 

Nearly all modern lightweight rods cast better without a reel on them, a reel is a nessessary inconvenience.

Once you get into 15 foot salmon rod territory, a reel does help bring the balance back to reasonable.

For lightweight and ultralightweight, go as light as posible, ideally base weight without line on it being less than 1.5 times weight of rod.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:24 am • # 4 

Stonepark wrote:
a reel is a nessessary inconvenience.

I like that! :applause

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:37 pm • # 5 

I go middle of the road on this debate. I definitely do not like a heavy reel, and definitely do not like the feel of any rod without the reel on it, for the reasons Brent mentioned. I think it's less a matter of balance, and more a matter of inertia with a reel, even a light one. It anchors the butt, and without it I think the rod feels all over the place.

So yeah, way less critical with the line out but still needed and I think a reel could be too light but I don't think it's something you're gonna have a problem with. Unless it's made out of titanium, or your rod is solid wood. The other thing is how much time you spend walking with your rod. It's a mild annoyance to have the tip want to dive (and jam into the dirt, rocks, etc) while walking from spot to spot.

Then there's the standard factors of up or downlocking, etc. A downlocking seat (not most graphite) can get away with a lighter reel. But I think this has been discussed somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:16 pm • # 6 

Edited

Last edited by Unknownflyman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:29 am • # 7 

Am I right in saying that the original discussion/recommendations around a 'balanced' fly system was intended to ensure that your rod and line weight ratings were consistent? Further, that your line/rod were compatible with the size of flies you intended to cast? And that the reel was of a size that would hold the line of that diameter and any amount of backing that might seem prudent for the type of fishing anticipated?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:19 am • # 8 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Am I right in saying that the original discussion/recommendations around a 'balanced' fly system was intended to ensure that your rod and line weight ratings were consistent? Further, that your line/rod were compatible with the size of flies you intended to cast? And that the reel was of a size that would hold the line of that diameter and any amount of backing that might seem prudent for the type of fishing anticipated?

You just have to ruin a good argument, don't you Brent? :lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:37 am • # 9 

Tenkara (and related) anglers would say that a reel (for traditional fly fishing) cannot be too light, and I tend to agree with regard to casting, but your reel can be too lightly built to withstand typical fishing wear, tear, and accidents. The widespread use of stronger aluminum alloys, stainless steel, and titanium, as well as milling vs casting, has mitigated these concerns, but it's still something to keep in mind. That said, I rarely consider reels that weigh more than 3 ounces, and most of my reels for 2-4wt lines are closer to 2.5 ounces.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:48 am • # 10 

I do wish tenkara wouldn't find its way into every fly fishing discussion. I'm just gonna say it: I don't get it. Never will. And I find it an annoying comparison. There I said it.

Cliff is that enough acrimony for you? :lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:24 pm • # 11 

Randy, you're just a beast. Although I have only used my Tenkara rod once, and unsuccessfully at that, I feel traumatized by your statement. I hope I can regain my usual emotional equilibrium, but it's going to be a struggle, and it's all your fault. Such bigotry to be addressed in a public forum! :eek

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:51 pm • # 12 

I think with typical ul rods that are usually 6-8 ft and really light and reel can't be too light.

With longer and heavier rods (9+ ft and especially non ul weight classes) a bit heavier reel can be benefical.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:31 am • # 13 

Tournament distance casting rods from the 1950's and earlier had no reels. These were typically heavy ( compared to modern rods ) cane rods usually 10 - 12 ft long. The reel was thought of as added unnecessary weight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:07 am • # 14 

You guys are undermining an entire segment of the fly fishing industry with your talk of reels being superfluous line storage. Next you're going to try to convince us that competent anglers caught as many fish with the last generation of flyrods as they do with the new ones. I'm seriously thinking about whether I can believe ANYTHING I read on this webpage (except Cliff, of course - his posts have the ring of truth). :lol
brent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am • # 15 

There we go, thanks guys. Nothing like a good argument to start the day off right (or left depending on which side you're on).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:56 am • # 16 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
. Nothing like a good argument to start the day off right (or left depending on which side you're on).

Perhaps I'll develop a new fly pattern called the Non-Partisan: an elephant hair tail dyed red, a mule mane wing dyed blue, and nothing in between the two. I'll market it exclusively to you United Statesians.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:05 pm • # 17 

I'll take two of these .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:09 pm • # 18 

Beautiful. They even got the President's haircut right!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:04 am • # 19 

seriously, though, some of those married red and white goose feather wings are amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:52 am • # 20 

Ron, I'll buy 100 of those and put them on the eaves of the local Democratic Party headquarters. I'll bet that place would get burned down very quickly. The members would never enter that place again. :lol Uh oh, I just started a political argument, a good way to start off Sunday morning.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply