It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:03 pm • # 21 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Ron, I'll buy 100 of those and put them on the eaves of the local Democratic Party headquarters. I'll bet that place would get burned down very quickly. The members would never enter that place again. :lol Uh oh, I just started a political argument, a good way to start off Sunday morning.

I'll forgive you Cliff . I saw them on a web site from France I think and having been trying to find someone to tie one for me .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:46 am • # 22 

A rod might cast better without a reel attached, but I totally disagree with the people who say that rod balance is irrelevant. Does it matter less on shorter UL rods? Probably. But I spend more time with my rod extended holding line off the water during a drift or retrieving line than I do casting, and in that instance a tip-heavy rod is more tiring than it needs to be. My 7.5' 0wt and 2wt both fish better with a large arbor 5/6wt reel on them than a UL reel. My vintage 7wt through 9wt glass rods are nearly unfishable without a heavy (half pound minimum) reel on them. I have yet to find a reel that satisfactorily balances my IM6 10' 5wt. Currently I'm using a 9/10 reel on that rod. I might go even heavier.

We can get into the weeds about how balance is dynamic depending how much line is out the rod tip (and that is true) and I think adding and subtracting fractions of an ounce to try get things in static balance is silly, but that fact doesn't mean that balance itself is irrelevant in real world fishing situations. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:23 pm • # 23 

Ika: What a great point you make! Thanks for taking the time to explain your experience. I cannot say that I had ever thought of that. I love learning new stuff!
brent

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply