It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:00 pm • # 1 

I dont need it SO , since I have a very limited amount of high dollar rods because I dont think they are worth it I am mulling over the idea of buying one using my stimulus check . If you were to buy one which one would it be and why ? I mostly nymph and swing so take that in to consideration . Then again I have never used a guide for the same reason as above so maybe a half day trip also .
How would you spend your check if you didnt need it . I know I could be more humanitarian and use it for the good of the country but thats not what this is about so please refrain from chastising or I will delete the thread . TIA

Changed my mind , see my last post !

Last edited by jangles on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:29 pm • # 2 

Jangles, of course there will be no chastising on my part. If I happen to get a stimulus check, which is doubtful for an American expatriate receiving Social Security benefits, I will feel stimulated to think quickly before squandering it on fishing gear.

Regarding guides, that seems like a good idea and I use them regularly. But sometimes when in a hurry to string up my rod, I might forget one or two. Of course, tenkara fishermen never have that problem.

By the way, does your wife know that you are a swinger who likes to fish with a nymph?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:59 pm • # 3 

Satisfy your urge for buying a new rod AND help the US Economy! Buy a new, American made rod from a local shop! Win, win, win. May I suggest a Scott GS 7'7" 2wt? :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:42 pm • # 4 

OK Ron, here's my suggestion. First tell your wife that apparently she didn't get a check. Then take both checks and have Glenn Bracket at Sweetgrass Rods build you a new 2 piece, 2 tip bamboo rod for $2100. Then you will still have $300 left over to pick up a nice reel. Of course when your wife finally finds out what happened, you better be ready to hook up that fifth wheel and hit the road running. :P

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:24 pm • # 5 

PampasPete wrote:
By the way, does your wife know that you are a swinger who likes to fish with a nymph?

She made me quit all the other nymphs when I started swing with her !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:26 pm • # 6 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
OK Ron, here's my suggestion. First tell your wife that apparently she didn't get a check. Then take both checks and have Glenn Bracket at Sweetgrass Rods build you a new 2 piece, 2 tip bamboo rod for $2100. Then you will still have $300 left over to pick up a nice reel. Of course when your wife finally finds out what happened, you better be ready to hook up that fifth wheel and hit the road running. :P

Larry

Larry , she would give it to me if I wanted it . I married right ! lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:18 am • # 7 

Canoeman1947 wrote:

Larry

That's about as perfect as perfect can be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:49 am • # 8 

I'm going to Disneyland!!! Oops, they're closed right now. Maybe I'll invest it in airline stocks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:09 pm • # 9 

I decided I'm either going with a Hardy Zeph Ultralite 9'9" 5wt or an Orvis Helios 3F in 9' 5 wt . I have wayyyy more ultralites than I can ever use .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:46 pm • # 10 

Ron, if you are seriously considering a Hardy rod, you need to check out Harris Sportsmail in England. Their prices on Hardy products are far below anywhere else I have seen. And frequently, but not always, free shipping is included in the price. Takes a little longer, but definitely worth it.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:26 pm • # 11 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
Ron, if you are seriously considering a Hardy rod, you need to check out Harris Sportsmail in England. Their prices on Hardy products are far below anywhere else I have seen. And frequently, but not always, free shipping is included in the price. Takes a little longer, but definitely worth it.

Larry

I went and looked and they are out of stock . Thx. I'm leaning towards the Orvis , it's supposed to be more accurate from reviews I've seen .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:46 am • # 12 

I make too much money to qualify for any stimulus cash, but if I did, I have a Renzetti Traveler vise in mind!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:27 am • # 13 

jangles wrote:
Canoeman1947 wrote:

Larry

I went and looked and they are out of stock . Thx. I'm leaning towards the Orvis , it's supposed to be more accurate from reviews I've seen .

Accurate in what aspect?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:18 pm • # 14 

jangles wrote:
Canoeman1947 wrote:

Larry

With Orvis now using a laser to cut their graphite, it leaves the edges burnt, and burnt graphite is brittle. I would go with a Scott GS 885 or 905 if you're not looking at ultralights.

I like what sbreech commented on about the Scott GS 2wt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:21 pm • # 15 

I was unable to find any information about Orvis cutting their graphite cloth with lasers. Where did you find this information.? The only reference to lasers I could find was in reference to a laser guided cutting machine for the graphite flags used in rolling the blanks.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:26 pm • # 16 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
I was unable to find any information about Orvis cutting their graphite cloth with lasers. Where did you find this information.? The only reference to lasers I could find was in reference to a laser guided cutting machine for the graphite flags used in rolling the blanks.

Larry

This is how I understood it; as used in fly rods, graphite consists of thousands of tiny hair like filaments held together by some resin system, along with a layer of strengthening fiber called scrim. A flat layer of graphite fibers, cut to a taper, is rolled around a tapered mandrel along with a layer of scrim, then subjected to heat and pressure, after which the mandrel is removed.

From what I understood, it is this process, the cutting of the flat layer of graphite is what they are cutting with lasers. may have misunderstood. But anything you cut with a laser will leave a burnt edge. Wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:24 pm • # 17 

From the source I saw, the flag or flat layer of graphite is cut using a "laser guided" machine.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 am • # 18 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
From the source I saw, the flag or flat layer of graphite is cut using a "laser guided" machine.

Larry

Thank you for clearing that up for me Larry, I appreciate it. Laser "guided" is a whole other thing.

All good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:18 am • # 19 

Well since I have north of 40 flyrods I decided to NOT get another and put my stimi money in a topper that I can use for 1 or 2 days and still pull my toy hauler so enter my second soft topper . These things are cool and work well , I had one on my dodge for 4 years and since then they have made improvements but they also have gone up in price . I ordered it today and got the optional front screen , back screen and back solid cloth window as well as the storage cover which used to be standard . It comes with tinted plastic windows so it can fold down . Looking forward to getting it on the truck and to hell with this shelter in place I'm sheltering in the White Mountains for a while . Thanks Donald !

https://www.softopper.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:47 pm • # 20 

I certainly didn't spend all of my stimulus money, but I did this day order an Orvis Superfine glass 7' 6" 4 wt outfit, which I will use on my sojourn to Yellowstone this year lookin' for brookies.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply