It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Flies for pickerel?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:19 am • # 21 

Tried this morning to create a down sized version of the redfish rattle fly per Chris of Louisiana's Fat Fingered website instructions. He has done a wonderful job of explaining "how to do" in his site. One small deviation from the rattle fly instructions I picked up from an Orvis YouTube video on creating weedless hooks. They suggested to melt the ends of the monofilament line so that the small "blob" resists the line from pulling free from the thread wrapping.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:31 pm • # 22 

Fishnmack wrote:
Tried this morning to create a down sized version of the redfish rattle fly per Chris of Louisiana's Fat Fingered website instructions. He has done a wonderful job of explaining "how to do" in his site. One small deviation from the rattle fly instructions I picked up from an Orvis YouTube video on creating weedless hooks. They suggested to melt the ends of the monofilament line so that the small "blob" resists the line from pulling free from the thread wrapping.

Good tip, mack. I tend to use a bit of superglue to prevent the mono from pulling, but like the "blob" idea. Although, the larger issue with these pickerel has been their teeth slicing the mono.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:30 pm • # 23 

I have always used superglue to hold my mono in, but the blob idea is great.

I noticed on your blog entry for this fly that you've been fishing them in tandem? I have never used tandem streamers on a fly rod, care to describe how you rig that?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:38 pm • # 24 

lka wrote:
I noticed on your blog entry for this fly that you've been fishing them in tandem? I have never used tandem streamers on a fly rod, care to describe how you rig that?

I simply tie the second streamer on about 12" of tippet material and attach it to the bend of the lead hook. Often I'll downsize the trailing pattern slightly if I've been getting short strikes on the original fly. The method has produced well for me on heavier tackle targeting redfish and speckled trout in the marsh. And has also produced when downsizing these rattle fly patterns for use on UL gear in the local streams.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 pm • # 25 

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for flies?

I don't, but it better be a fly that is fearless!

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply