It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:47 am • # 1 

I live in a part of Canada where we have not traditionally dealt with a lot of continuous hot weather, nor with drought and low flows. This summer, we've had both. My home stream is a cool trout stream with bog headwaters but at my place it slows down and deepens and becomes a bass/perch/chain pickerel stream, at least for the last couple of decades as our temperatures trend upward. But there have never been algae blooms. With record low flows and record high temps, my favourite 'deep hole' is only deepish on account of a new beaver dam downstream. There are now large 'beds'? of filamentous green algae the size of couches and larger in the pools and anywhere else the water slows down. I know this is robbing the water of oxygen, but there are still quite a few fish hanging out in the open places and wherever there is (minimal) water flow. I'm still enjoying fishing there, but this adds a new layer of complexity and cleaning.
I know this must be a lot more common in more southern, warmer waters, so I wondered how you cope with this? DO you avoid fishing these places/times, or do you spend extra time cleaning off your fly and fly line, and just press on? thanks for your input.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:35 pm • # 2 

wheezeburnt wrote:
DO you avoid fishing these places/times, or do you spend extra time cleaning off your fly and fly line, and just press on? thanks for your input.
brent

If avoidable for more suitable (easier) water to fish I'll pass on it. However, some ponds I fish are like that most of the year whether it's algae or just the type of pondweed.

Slick headed streamers, coat all leader knots to smooth them, weed guards, and be careful on body materials. Straight fibers are easier to "pinch clean" than scraggly dubbing or chenille bodies. That said, topwater is always preferable on this issue to avoid the glop altogether.

I typically use regular faucet 100% silicone on my flyline so they stay pretty clean. No waxes, pastes, or concoctions for me there.

Get familiar with epoxy or light cure resins and make smooth bullet head on flies, preferably with synthetic fibers. Both will slip through the green and it'll be much easier to wipe off any that grabs. Saltwater FFers have some nice ideas there, the longer smooth heads can even serve as a bit of a bite guard for the pickerel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:12 pm • # 3 

I try to avoid it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:40 pm • # 4 

Knotjoe: Some great ideas there! Thanks. If this turns into a regular thing, I believe I will try what you have suggested.
Strummer: That would be my preference, and hopefully its a 'one-off' this year. But the creek is just across the road, and when faced with yard work, its my go-to avoidance destination. :lol
brent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:34 pm • # 5 

I've always fished in the South with plenty of growth in the water. I take no extra care of my fly lines, reels or rods and the only time I rinse equipment is if I am fishing salt, which now-a-days is never.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:52 pm • # 6 

I also try to avoid it. Our local streams here in southern Oklahoma had been having a little higher than normal stream flow until the last month or so, but then we had a dry spell and this was bringing on a lot of algae as the flow decreased. I had a small conclave planned on a nearby river for October, and was afraid the fishing would be difficult. However, we received close to 7 inches of rain during this last week, so it looks like our streams are clean again. For once the rain was my friend. :applause :applause

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:36 am • # 7 

When I come across that situation I go to the nearest pharmaceutical laboratory and buy some Lotinetuvsan Muntrsiesdyte and pour that into the stream. It helps to clear it out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:29 pm • # 8 

wheezeburnt wrote:
and when faced with yard work, its my go-to avoidance destination. :lol
brent

Now, see, that's vital information that you left out. I'd fish a dried out creek bed if it meant getting out of doing chores...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:20 pm • # 9 

I try to fish with dry flies and cast to the openings in the weeds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:01 am • # 10 

Thanks, guys. All very useful input. I'm hoping this is a 'one off' season, but we're still looking at very unseasonably warm weather, and absolutely NO rain in sight, so I guess we're stuck with the current conditions for a while. Just spent three days smallie fishing in a spring-fed lake , but I'm back home now, and I know its only a matter of time before I will go down and try the stream again. Dry flies only, as suggested, sounds good.
brent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:28 am • # 11 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
When I come across that situation I go to the nearest pharmaceutical laboratory and buy some Lotinetuvsan Muntrsiesdyte and pour that into the stream. It helps to clear it out.

You mean that none of you guys have tried to find this miracle formula to clear out the streams?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:27 pm • # 12 

No local pharmaceutical laboratories.... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:31 pm • # 13 

Google Lotinetuvsan Muntrsiesdyte and see what you get.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 pm • # 14 

Nothing on Google, at least by that spelling.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 am • # 15 

Gee, I don't know why, they seemed to look like good words when I was typing them. Of course the three glasses of tequila might have caused me to spell them wrong. When I'm making up new words sometimes I get fact-checked and caught. :rollin :rollin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:13 pm • # 16 

I found them in a Canadian dikshanary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:55 pm • # 17 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Gee, I don't know why, they seemed to look like good words when I was typing them. Of course the three glasses of tequila might have caused me to spell them wrong. When I'm making up new words sometimes I get fact-checked and caught. :rollin :rollin

Yeah, I checked Snopes, and they have a whole eight paragraph entry just about Cliff Hilbert. They claim he's a hoax, a conspiracy theory, and just plain fake news. :lol :lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:19 pm • # 18 

Sorry Brent, but Snopes has it wrong. I have quite a few good friends in Texas, and they told me that somehow despite all the laws of Nature there really is a Cliff Hilbert. Several of them took a stiff drink afterward in a vain attempt to forget. 8o

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 am • # 19 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:

It seems to me that what we have here is a bit misunderstood. It’s not a case of a hoax, a conspiracy theory, or just plain fake news, but yet another phenomenon. After three glasses of tequila Cliff stops being a mere warmwater angler and turns into a firewater angler.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:35 am • # 20 

Awww, you guys finally discovered that I'm not a real person but just fake news.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply