It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:15 pm • # 1 

I cannot pretend that I am one keeping it alive with minimal posts and not really fishing allot of ultralight rigs.
Seems all the questions and discussions have concluded. I did not have allot to contribute here but until now there allways seemed to be some discusion going on.

Maybe everyone realized 4wt and above are more realistic for real fishing. :eek >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Last edited by Riffling Hitch on Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:31 am • # 2 

We're staggering along in fits and starts, but I'm hanging in. It has been my observation that a lot of webpages have migrated to 'facebook' pages for various interest groups.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:35 am • # 3 

"Sight" is something visual, and many of us on here are losing our sight because we're so old. "Site" is a website, like this one we're on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:44 am • # 4 

Yes, my "sight" :lol is also dead and I don't even consider myself old...
Fixed it....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:59 am • # 5 

This is an older gentleman's page and there are only 15 or so around of which 3 or 4 are close to the grave thus they are the posters elite . They also keep it alive . I however am a younger pup at merely 71 and tried to revive this site a year or so ago by answering threads as old as Larry , Cliff or Weez but to no avail those who started them seem to be long gone . Perhaps we dont have enough builders here selling their goods keeping it alive ? Seems like they are on the other sites but not really taking part just selling and answering now and then ? If you take your 4wt and break it in half you'll have 2- 2wts and fit right in . lol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:47 pm • # 6 

I don't think the site is dead,, just perhaps, like my feet, it smells dead. And jangles I resent being described as old. Cliff and wheezeburnt maybe, but not me. I'm only 73. And, as far as my sight goes, though I have a retinopathy in my right eye, I am having cataract surgery on my left eye on Monday, so expect at least one eye to resume its duty. I occasionally participate in a few of the Facebook flyfishing related groups, but I have noticed there is much less discussion on posts there, and certainly no in depth discussion. I think perhaps a reason for less posting here is that ultralight flyfishing has finally achieved acceptance in the larger flyfishing world. We were once thought of as radicals who played fish to death with our ridiculously light rods. People who posted about ultralight on many of the flyfishing forums were treated as pariahs. However, now there is frequent discussion of ultralight rods and reels and very seldom do I see any condemnation of ultralight flyfishing on any of the forums now. This forum used to be the one place a person could discuss ultralight flyfishing without being accused of fish abuse, but this is no longer the case. So perhaps this forum has achieved what it set out to do.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:33 pm • # 7 

Larry: You may have hit the nail on the head in that post.

Except the part about Cliff and me. I did some research, and Cliff is actually a skinny, bearded 34 year old metrosexual stock broker living in Lower Manhattan, drives a BMW, and winters in the Bahamas. The man's never held a fly rod in his life. He golfs and hang-glides, but that's about it. The closest he comes to fish is the sushi that makes up perhaps 70% of his diet. (sorry, Cliff - you've been hiding too long. Just be yourself!)
(and I'm 'only' 67)
brent
(Wheeze)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm • # 8 

I don’t exactly believe that this site is dead although it certainly has been more lively at some times in the past. As already discussed in other threads, there may be different reasons for that. Other more mainstream forums nowadays seem more tolerant of UL flyfishing, to a point, yet there is still some ultralight-bashing that goes on. Personally, I feel more at home on this forum than on any other.
Riffling Hitch wrote:
Seems all the questions and discussions have concluded.

There are a few topics that have yet to be discussed or that we have only scratched the surface. Here are some.

Antique ultralight fly fishing gear. Here I’m talking about stuff that was in use when even Cliff would have been just a young whippersnapper. We tend to consider UL flyfishing a recent phenomenon that started in the 1970s. But there were split bamboo rods between 1890 and 1910 that were used with the equivalent of 1- or 2-weight lines, made by the likes of Leonard and Divine. It would be interesting to know more about the lines and reels used on such tackle and how applicable they would be yet today.

Sinking lines, that is, lines that were intentionally made to sink. It’s hard to find any sinking lines in 3-weight or below. So there may be a good deal of UL fly fishing that we just don’t reach;

Shooting heads. There has been some discussion of these, but there is much more that is yet to be said, at least regarding truly ultralight lines.

DIY fly lines. Most of us seem content with our commercially manufactured PVC lines, but making your own lines could open up many other possibilities.

Micro-fishing with UL fly gear. Here I’m referring to this kind of fishing: https://www.fieldandstream.com/obsessiv ... e-listers/ but with fly gear. That’s something I might like to try, if I can ever see well enough again to tie those little bitty flies on really light tippets. Whenever I do try, it will probably look something like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JySPZUt_6w
Looks like fly-fishing to me. I could go on, but you all get the idea.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:05 am • # 9 

My first fly rod was a stalk of bamboo that I cut from a neighbor's yard and put a piece of string (monofilament was not even invented that far back) and a strange looking fly I tied from some duck feathers and some hair I cut from a friend's cat's tail (she used to be a friend before I did that). Then I went out and caught a perch (that's long before they were called bream, that name came in the early 1800s) and brought it home for my mother to cook. She promptly whipped my butt and told me never to bring a six-day old fish home again (I found it lying on the ground with a bunch of ants on it - I didn't catch it).

Since then I have upscaled to a $3000 Loomis rod and a $10 reel that I got on sale at Wallyworld. I still can't catch any fish even with the $69.95 flies I buy. I'll be 75 in November and I already told a fishing buddy that after I kick the bucket he could use my butt as catfish bait. But I know that in Heaven I'll catch trophy fish on every cast, so that gives me hope. And I'm not dead, I just smell like it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:42 pm • # 10 

Wow, Cliff! You don't LOOK 75! (but I remember when you did) ;)

(I wondered when you'd be logging in to defend yourself)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:14 pm • # 11 

Thanks Cliff. I knew we could count on you to set the record straight.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:49 pm • # 12 

I can't pass up a comment on this topic.

It is disappointing to log in and sometimes see no posts; I think one of the reasons for that is the posts are taken down quickly. On the Fiberglass forum the post seem to stay up longer and that gives the impression of a busier site, although the Fiberglass site is truly busier than our utltralite site.

The difficulties with posting pictures has caused a downturn in my posting, maybe others. I've enjoyed looking at post with pictures, especially the "Brookie" pictures on streams that appear impossible to cast on.

I miss the posts from our friend in Puerto Rico catching Tarpon on UL, Laura Palmer in Europe and other European members that don't post anymore; it was interesting reading about the fishing in foreign countries, places I had no idea folks fly fished.

Regrettably I've seen some join and have their posts insulted and not seen them back after that.

I've picked up alot of interesting information from this sight, enjoyed many posts and will keep checking in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:00 am • # 13 

If we could keep you young whippersnappers off the site it would be much better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:04 pm • # 14 

I do enjoy the humor here. Glad I stirred up a little.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:57 pm • # 15 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
If we could keep you young whippersnappers off the site it would be much better.

OK, Boomer..... :lol :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:57 am • # 16 

jangles wrote:
This is an older gentleman's page and there are only 15 or so around of which 3 or 4 are close to the grave thus they are the posters elite . They also keep it alive . I however am a younger pup at merely 71 and tried to revive this site a year or so ago by answering threads as old as Larry , Cliff or Weez but to no avail those who started them seem to be long gone . Perhaps we dont have enough builders here selling their goods keeping it alive ? Seems like they are on the other sites but not really taking part just selling and answering now and then ? If you take your 4wt and break it in half you'll have 2- 2wts and fit right in . lol

I think that's one of the biggest problems with these forums. If people keep posting new titles and don't get any responses they are going to start wondering why they even posted in the first place. I for one have thought that myself in the past with this forum, that's why I haven't posted much. I have a new topic just put in today, and I bet I get a few lookers, but very few replies. I'd like to stay here because I love fishing my 3wts on all the creeks near me, but if no one is interested then why bother posting?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:00 pm • # 17 

I haven't been fishing much. Heat, rain, etc have kept me away. I just haven't been online much lately. Lag time happens in forums. People come, people go. Latley, I've been turned off by social media.

Oh, and the before all those reasons for an excuse gave me an excuse, I wasn't catching much...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:48 am • # 18 

In reality most sites seem "dead" these days. Back in the early 2000s, it seemed like sites were flourishing. Then it seemed like things slowed down everywhere with Facebook groups popping up. Add into the mix the whole Photobucket fiasco and sites seemed to suffer. I have never had, nor will I ever have a Facebook account, so I still use the sites. As far as the UL bashing being a thing of the past, I suppose that could be a factor as well. For me, I mostly stopped posting reports because of several factors: 1. I just wanted to enjoy fishing. 2: Because I was shooting with my DSLR in RAW format, there was quite a bit of work after the trip in processing the photos in Lightroom. 3: I was fishing less because I was busy with other aspects of life. 4: Photobucket and the stunt they pulled with image hosting. Those were my main reasons for posting less on the three sites I regularly posted on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 am • # 19 

Iasgair wrote:
jangles wrote:

Well I dont answer many posts because I dont know much about that particular subject . I dont post about warm water fishing or fisheries because I have no interest in them or the fish . I dont post in the tenkara because I dont consider it to be interesting . I dont post in the spinning section because it has nothing to do with the forums name and therefore not interested . I dont sell my rods so I dont post in the for sale section very often . I dont post fishing trips because most of it is hike in and I cant , so I get jealous . So in closing , I'm not
a very exciting person , have NO life and just waiting to pass on . It could be worse , I could already be dead and posting on satans web ! lol

I think that's one of the biggest problems with these forums. If people keep posting new titles and don't get any responses they are going to start wondering why they even posted in the first place. I for one have thought that myself in the past with this forum, that's why I haven't posted much. I have a new topic just put in today, and I bet I get a few lookers, but very few replies. I'd like to stay here because I love fishing my 3wts on all the creeks near me, but if no one is interested then why bother posting?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:26 am • # 20 

I post because I enjoy laughing at myself.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply