It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:08 pm • # 1 

On the 22cd of Sept., I woke up realizing that I am now a year older. I'm now 55. And of course I took the day off to fish, but where to go? I wanted something different.
As many times as I have driven I-70 west through the Rocky Mountains here in Colorado, always check out Clear Creek running along the Interstate and I have always told myself that one of these days I should fish it. So I did.

There were many fishing the creek and I thought I was never going to find a place to spend the day but I eventually did and saw no others fishing around me, and it wasn't like I found a secret spot either.

I took my 3wt and in no time at all I had a willing fish on the line.

Fishing was pretty good, caught about a dozen browns averaging 12 inches or so. The weather was nice and the creek was low enough to just wet wade for the day.
They started off hitting soft hackled flies in the morning, and by the mid day the fish changed their choice in meals so I changed to a Para Adams and started catching a few more. I did happen to catch one rainbow.

When the sun started to go down I headed home for home made lasagna and cake after. Later on I settled in with a glass of scotch and thought about my next trip.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:44 pm • # 2 

Any time you think you should fish a creek you haven't fished before, you should never put it off.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:19 am • # 3 

Great birthday gift to yourself!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:19 pm • # 4 

Enjoyable report, 12 inch feisty trout in swift water on a 3 wt sounds like a great match up; bet they felt good. Thanks for the pictures too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:48 am • # 5 

Happy belated!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:45 pm • # 6 

Ah yes small creek fishing is one of my favorites and is so much fun! Thanks for sharing!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:56 pm • # 7 

Belated happy birthday and it looks like you had a great day on the stream. It’s an amazing feeling you get when see a stream that is begging to be cast into and it pays off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:52 pm • # 8 

Thats an awesome gift....a day on the water...catching fish...happy birthday. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:24 pm • # 9 

Thanks friends.

I'm not sure if I'll get out much any more this year, but I heard a rumor that the Rocky Mtn. Nat. Park may drop their reservation list next week. If so I'm headed for the Wild Basin for some cutthroat. I haven't been able to fish the Wild Basin because of Covid changing the rules of entry into the Park, but it sure feels weird not fishing the WB this year. It's such a fun place to fish for wild fish. and sometimes you can catch a decent fish for that creek. Plus I miss the wildlife I usually run into.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:21 pm • # 10 

Sounds like a fantastic day.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply