It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Covid 19 and fishing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:51 pm • # 21 

I fished more in 2020 than I did in 2019, because work was very slow. Most of my fishing was done at the neighborhood pond, when we lived in Oregon, but I did hit a couple of favorite places more often as well, though still not as much as I'd have liked because of the 35+ mile trip each way, and slow work meant less pay, which meant less gas $$.

When we got here to Texas, save for a couple of busy weeks or very frigid, rain filled weeks, I've been fishing anywhere from 3-7 days a week.

We have a municipal park in town with a couple ponds in it - I talked to a local who told me that the bass fishery was decimated early on in the year, when lockdowns went into effect and people went stir crazy. Said a lot of folks didn't know what catch & release meant. His assessment seemed spot on - the main pond is sizeable and the biggest fish I've pulled out so far was a 15 inch channel cat. Other than that, the bass are fingerlings, the panfish are likewise dinky (the silver lining there, dinky panfish are usually very hungry and easy to catch, and that made getting bait for the catfish easy)

The other pond I've only had missed strikes, and I've never seen anyone else fish it. Access to pond 2 is very slim, as its more of a swamp and only has a couple spots the city developed for fisherman. The entire bank is very brush choked otherwise.

Before Snowpocalypse 2021 hit, I'd been fishing 4 times last week. I went fishing on two separate outings on Tuesday, a couple hours at a city park with my dad in which we did well on largemouth, and then a couple more hours on one of our neighborhood ponds solo where I wanted to test out some prototype flies, but wound up fishing with the Senko when the flies, while swimmy like I wanted, weren't producing. The senko produced.

I've probably been fishing 10 or 12 times since the start of the year at this point.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply