It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:19 pm • # 1 

today i was fishing my maxcatch 1wt combo. using wf1f line. i could only get out about 15-20 feet of line and when I made the final cast, the shooting line did not pull the excess line off the water. it seemed like the line was catching inside the guides? is this bad technique or bad equipment? i also have some wf2f line. will that cast better?

when I cast my 6wt, the shooting line will pull all the line that is at my feet.

i did manage to catch some bass and sunfish on poppers.

thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:46 pm • # 2 

I have one; here's my experience: Put the 2wt line on. The maxcatch 1 wt (assuming you're talking about the 6' rod) is actually a 2 wt. With the heavier line on, you'll be able to cast out 40 - 50'. It will likely never shoot line like your 6wt, but it will definitely do better than 15'. also, consider holding large loops of the line you hope to 'shoot', loosely in your left hand rather than letting them lay on the water, where surface tension will reduce the ease with which they can leave the water.
brent.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:47 pm • # 3 

thanks. i will give that a try and report back.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:01 pm • # 4 

I agree with Brent. I have also cast that rod and feel it is really a 2 weight. You didn't mention the brand of the line you were using, and that could also be a factor. A couple of years ago I purchased a 3 weight KastKing Exergy line. Fresh out of the box it cast every bit as well as some of my favorite and much more expensive lines. However, a few days later I used it while fishing. After about 10 minutes, the line became very difficult to shoot. It became apparent the wet line was sticking to the rod. I cleaned the line and applied some line treatment and everything seemed OK, at least at the time. I have a lot of lines, so I haven't used that line again.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:35 pm • # 5 

both my 1wt and 2wt lines are maxcatch. my rod is the 6’ model. when i got home today i put the 2wt line on and my initial backyard cast test seemed to cast much better. so tomorrow or monday i will take it to the water and test it out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:02 am • # 6 

Also you need a fairly tight loop and high line speed to cast a UL rod any good distance. Heavier lines are more forgiving of less efficient casting.

You also might find paradoxically that a dense heavier fly lets you cast further, especially when there is a bit of a breeze. The fly's momentum will get you some distance at the end rather than acting as a drag parachute.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:07 am • # 7 

Glad its working out. If you have some of that line cleaner with a cleaning pad (Decades ago they came with cortland 333 and 444 lines), try dressing the Maxcatch line with it. Helps a bit.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:13 pm • # 8 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Glad its working out. If you have some of that line cleaner with a cleaning pad (Decades ago they came with cortland 333 and 444 lines), try dressing the Maxcatch line with it. Helps a bit.
brent

If like me you don't have any of the dedicated line cleaner products, I use "Aerospace 303" and it works great. Put a squirt on a rag and pull the line through a few times, cleans and gets the line extremely slick. When the line is really dirty I soak in warm water and soap for 30 minutes first. Get the 32 oz bottle of 303, would last 10 lifetimes for fly line use but you'll find other uses for it on your car and boat. Don't let the bottle freeze.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:38 pm • # 9 

lka wrote:
wheezeburnt wrote:
I use "Aerospace 303" and it works great. Put a squirt on a rag and pull the line through a few times, cleans and gets the line extremely slick. When the line is really dirty I soak in warm water and soap for 30 minutes first. Get the 32 oz bottle of 303, would last 10 lifetimes for fly line use but you'll find other uses for it on your car and boat. Don't let the bottle freeze.

Great idea! I have some out in the shed. We used it on our ABS and Royalex whitewater canoes for years; never thought of it for line dressing. Thanks.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:10 am • # 10 

I can remember vaguely that back in the 90's Orvis was selling pads soaked in 303. A lot of people recommend against using Armor All for treating lines, but it seems that just as many long time expert flyfishers swear by it.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:48 am • # 11 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
I can remember vaguely that back in the 90's Orvis was selling pads soaked in 303. A lot of people recommend against using Armor All for treating lines, but it seems that just as many long time expert flyfishers swear by it.

Larry

I've never had 303 damage a line, at least not in a way I could tell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:24 pm • # 12 

The formulation in 303 should never cause any harm to a fly line. Some people are leary of using Armor All which is a different formulation, stating it can cause fly lines to dry out over time. However, many experienced flyfishers who do use it say they have never had a problem. I don't use either product. I have some 303, but it doesn't seem to leave the line as slick as some of the dedicated line treatments do.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:13 pm • # 13 

took the rod out yesterday and today loaded with maxcatch wf2f line. it casts much better now. thank you for the assistance!

i even caught a dozen or so sunfish. they are a blast. took a pic of the first one. he really put some bend in the 1wt :rollin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:39 am • # 14 

Awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:05 am • # 15 

Fun little rods. Glad you're enjoying yours. (our season's closed; now we await freeze-up) >:(
brent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:19 pm • # 16 

I'm late to the party (deer season opened here this past weekend) but something that's not really been touched on is about how little mass 1 and 2 weight lines have to aid in cutting through the air and gaining shooting distance. Assuming the rod is loaded (sounds like the Max 1 is really a 2, so that's a start) it's a lot easier getting distance with fewer backcasts on the heavier line weights because the head has the mass to drag out running line, which is not the case with these ultralight lines. With the head of the line off the rod tip and laid out in front of you, with 1 back cast and a presentation, an 8ft 10 weight is going to go a LOT further than an 8ft 2wt. So there's that too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:54 pm • # 17 

In my experience, every rod in the Maxcatch Ultra Light and V light series (Same blank, different cosmetics) is under rated. As are their fiberglass Ultra Glass series. Over line any one of them and they come alive. FWIS I find a DT2 works well on my 1 wt V-Light.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply