It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:07 pm • # 1 

i was at a pawn shop this week and they had a reddington zero 4.5 with rio wf3f line on it. they were asking $50. i got it for $40 out the door.

now i have a reel and line with no rod to put it on. guess im gonna have to buy a maxcatch 2wt rod to put it on.

have yall built a new setup because of one piece of gear that you had?

Last edited by Wildcat on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:10 pm • # 2 

Come to think about it...yeah.

A few years ago an old friend gave me a bamboo blank that he had built as a 5-weight. Of course I would have to finish it after buying the compontents, so then I had to get a line-holder, that is, a reel, for it so off I went to Wally-world. There was a cheap reel but it came in a pack with a rod, OK. So of course that meant buying one more rod. Then it became necessary to find a 5-weight double taper line, and later it seemed like the extra bamboo tip would work as a 3-weight banty and...

The only thing that's not clear to me is, if your new old pawn shop reel came with a 3-weight WF line, why do you need a 2-weight rod instead of a real 3-weight?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:47 pm • # 3 

If I can find a true 3wt, that will be fine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:05 pm • # 4 

Somebody gave me a True Temper 1255 with a Medalist 1495 1/2 DA. It got me thinking that a glass 5 would be fun in the local ditches, and give be an excuse to use that reel. I found a blank on eBay, along with some Wulff signature line. I started to take warm water fishing a little more "seriously", which eventually led to a 2wt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:00 am • # 5 

Pffft, I use that as an excuse! "But honey, it needs a home!"

I run a side gig at Cabela's and am currently in the firearms department for the season, and I'm amused by how many guys fall in love with a beautiful scope - these glass-lovers remind me of my photography friends - and so they buy it, then need a boomstick to put it on.

I'm currently looking for a couple light reels to balance some graphite featherweights that my current reels are a bit heavy for. I wanted to have 1 reel and a few spools per line weight, to go on a plethora of rods, but *shucks* it's just not working out that way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:13 pm • # 6 

Yup, I've done it more than once. I do not, however, need much of an excuse!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:55 pm • # 7 

Yes, I've built rods around stray/spare spools at times. Of course, I have an addiction to feed.....

ps a nice Maxcatch 6'6" 2 wt would round out that combo for just another $40. :-)

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply