It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Calling U.K. members
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 am • # 1 

Good morning everyone, actually its cold,grey and wintry here in Oxford ( England ) today.
We are locked down hard and although fishing is allowed it has to be ' local ' so if one has to travel for fishing you are out of luck. Sadly that means I won't be chucking any fluff for Grayling any time soon and same goes for when the trout season opens, unless the virus restrictions are relaxed by then.
Here in the UK ultralight fly fishing isn't exactly mainstream so I'm hoping to meet some like minded anglers on this forum (which I only joined yesterday ) to chat and maybe even fish with in 2021
Apologies if this is the wrong place for this post, if so hopefully some kind soul will put me right. Thanks.
I'm an old git who has been fishing for everything from Marlin to Gudgeon since I was 7 years old. BTW that doesn't mean I'm any good ! Now retired I travel the UK and abroad for my Fly and lure fishing and the location has become at least as important as what I may or may not catch.
If anyone would care to contact me It will be my pleasure to correspond ( and meet ) with you.
Thanks for reading this post.

Post subject: Re: Calling U.K. members
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:06 am • # 2 

welcome to the forum chris.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:02 pm • # 3 

Welcome aboard, Chris.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:53 pm • # 4 

Hello old chap .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:14 pm • # 5 

Welcome aboard friend. Sorry to hear about the fishing restrictions; I suppose the concern is Covid-19 crossing over into
aquatic species since I can hardly see how one travelling from his residence and solitarily fishing a stream could affect another human ; good to see such concern.

If inclined, tell us more about your fishing in England. A recent development in the US fishing experience is urban fishing (recent is relative of course, my first fish was caught in the 40's, that's my point of reference) . Holding ponds and canals are build for drainage in some areas and many are fishable. Any such trend in water management in the UK that might enhance fishing opportunities ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:20 am • # 6 

Hello.

Hope things change for us all soon. In the mean time, I wouldn't mind seeing grayling pics, as well as pics of the fishery over there!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:42 am • # 7 

Oxford Chris, welcome to the forum. I can relate to living in a country where UL fly-fishing is perceived as unusual. Here in Brazil, any fly-fishing is uncommon, and UL even more so. In fact, the common perception of “fishing” is simply to kill as many fish as possible by whatever means. That includes gill netting.

There seems to have been other members on the forum from the UK, whether or not they are still active. Let's hope someone responds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:07 pm • # 8 

OMG I just wrote a very long reply and now it seems to be bloody well lost !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:28 pm • # 9 

Join the club . :applause

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:12 am • # 10 

I'll keep this short as have a feeling it will disappear as I'm trying to submit it as happened before.
Thanks for the welcome chaps, once I'm confident I won't keep losing stuff I'll write more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:25 am • # 11 

Chris: Not sure if this will solve your problem, but you can draft your post at your leisure in, say, Word, and then cut/paste here.
Oh, and welcome!
brent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:15 pm • # 12 

what i do is control c all my text before clicking submit. if it crashes I just paste it in on the next try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:23 pm • # 13 

Hi Chris
Newbie myself and also in the UK ☺️

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:31 am • # 14 

Thanks for your advice chaps, just worked that out and glad I did as would have lost the last post I wrote !

Hello canefly, great to hear from you, you are the first UK member that has replied. Was beginning to think there weren't any.
Where in Britain are you ? Do you have any ' local ' fishing that you can access whilst staying within government guidelines.
Grayling are really all we have at this time of year. The Hampshire chalk streams aren't that far fro me, but not really local either. It's about the only time of year I could afford the fishing or to be honest even want it. Stocked rivers hammered daily aren't my thing anyway, I prefer wild fish in wild waters and sensible prices even if the fish do tend to be much smaller.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:02 am • # 15 

Hello JimRed,
apologies for my slow reply and thanks for your interest in UK fishing.
Compared to the US where I have only fished the tiny tip of the iceberg so to speak, on a visit the September before last,
we have far, far less water available. Everyone knows about our famous chalkstreams but they are few, small, short and mega pricey. £150 - £250 per day in the trout season and get hammered mercilessly. Stocked triploid rainbows being the quarry as native browns all but disappeared many years ago.
We do have some nice wild fisheries though. Wales, the North of England, Scotland all having rivers supporting wild stocks.
The Wye in Derbyshire our only river where ' native ' rainbows spawn and thrive everywhere else it is Brownies and in some spate rivers they run out to sea due to very poor food availability returning as sea trout and reaching weights of up to 20 lbs.
We also have Grayling ( our winter quarry ) and of course Atlantic Salmon, which due to overfishing at sea and intensive farming in the mouths of rivers and Lochs are in very severe decline. Many of our famous Salmon rivers being on the verge of collapse or already having done so. Fishery management especially commercial has and continues to be utterly shameful across the board. Our ' Agency against the Environment ' as I call it worse than useless and even complicit id the accelerating decline of not only picine species but all UK wildlife and habitat.
Eire being far more rural ( like Scotland ) is holding up slightly better, at least for the time being.
Sorry to have rambled on, that's just a verbose old bloke for you eh !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:27 am • # 16 

Hi Chris
Yes I’m in the West country,so lots of small streams to fish and much more fun with ultralight gear!
Hoping to get out mid to late March if restrictions allow it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:33 pm • # 17 

Chris, thanks for the reply and description. I suppose when the "collapse" of a stream is recognized there will be a backup plan with some sort of stocked species. I've seen some You Tube videos of fishing in England and they suggest that fly fishing is not allowed in some public waters; I suppose it is the threat of back-casting into a by-stander.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:33 am • # 18 

Hi Jim
Fly fishing is banned on some waters because of that reason,I’ve seen it more on still-waters though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 am • # 19 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Chris: Not sure if this will solve your problem, but you can draft your post at your leisure in, say, Word, and then cut/paste here.
Oh, and welcome!
brent

"Draft", is that like Guinness Draft? What kind of scissors would be best to "cut", and what kind of paste do you use?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:04 pm • # 20 

JimRed wrote:
I've seen some You Tube videos of fishing in England and they suggest that fly fishing is not allowed in some public waters; I suppose it is the threat of back-casting into a by-stander.

Isn't roll-casting allowed?

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply