It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Calling U.K. members
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:39 pm • # 21 

PampasPete wrote:
JimRed wrote:
I've seen some You Tube videos of fishing in England and they suggest that fly fishing is not allowed in some public waters; I suppose it is the threat of back-casting into a by-stander.

Isn't roll-casting allowed?

Chris, PampasPete asked a good question here; if my observation on You Tube is correct, do the regulations make an exception for roll casting?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:23 am • # 22 

canefly, I used to live in Cornwall and have fished pretty much all the west country rivers. As you know many are heavily treed and mainly fished by spin fishermen for peal that reason. I used the passport/ voucher scheme for years and also fished the Dart System, Camel, Fowey and Lynher quite often. Most recently fished the Teign and that's very much a wade and crouch river with short choppy casts being de rigure. Must say I'm getting on a bit for that sort of thing though.
Other thing I noticed was way more anglers / pressure on day ticket waters than 10+ years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:47 am • # 23 

JimRed, are you having a laugh ?
Backup plan my a . se, that will be the day. In the US sport fishing is far more respected and cared for so it's probably difficult to grasp just how awful things are over here. Fish kills and pollution, ( often by farm slurry ) are very common events, especially in Wales. Sometimes by actual water companies themselves . . . oops we just let ten tons of aluminium oxide down the wrong pipe ! Incidents usually go unpunished and if by some miracle the perpetrator is brought to justice the fine will be minuscule with no mandatory re stocking or habitat restoration. The Main reason for the collapse of Salmon fishing in Scotland is farms at the mouth of rivers. Causing pollution and massive lice population, meaning returning fish simply won't enter the rivers, yet the farms are allowed to remain, money talks.
It's a sad state of affairs and to be brutally honest as far as I can see, it's only going to get worse as massive house building and subsequent extraction depletes our rivers and water quality. Some river have simply gone / ceased to exist. The government local or national do nothing and the bloody city living tree huggers campaign for the re introduction of Beavers for gods sake !Words fail me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:03 am • # 24 

We don't really have many public waters JimRed some remote reservoirs, and ' free stretches ' where rivers run through cities are all I can think of. Nearly all still waters are pay to fish, stocked with triploids or are carp fisheries. All rivers are privately held and are either syndicated and often expensive and/ or difficult to join or owned / controlled by clubs. I honestly can't think of more than a handful of public waters and I've been fishing many years right across the UK.
As to fly fishing not being allowed due to back casting, I can't think of any such restrictions anywhere, although there may be some somewhere I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:05 am • # 25 

oxford chris wrote:
canefly, I used to live in Cornwall and have fished pretty much all the west country rivers. As you know many are heavily treed and mainly fished by spin fishermen for peal that reason. I used the passport/ voucher scheme for years and also fished the Dart System, Camel, Fowey and Lynher quite often. Most recently fished the Teign and that's very much a wade and crouch river with short choppy casts being de rigure. Must say I'm getting on a bit for that sort of thing though.
Other thing I noticed was way more anglers / pressure on day ticket waters than 10+ years ago.

Hi Chris
I’ve also fished those rivers!
About 4-5 years ago I enjoyed some good sport on the Teign.
Fished it a few times around that time and we didn’t see any other fly anglers.
I’ve bought a season ticket for the Camel!
The upper reaches look perfect for ultralight fly!
I’ve fished Hampshire,Wilts,Dorset,Devon and Cornwall!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:22 am • # 26 

Hi Canefly,
I used to live almost on the Camel, very near Ruthern and have fished it from the sea right up to Pencarrow. It is mainly a salmon and sea trout fishery, as you are no doubt aware and is termed a ' metal river ' which denotes spinning and lure fishing, often with tiny Rapala plugs. Fly casting being problematic due to difficult access & the tree cover in many places.
Many locals don't even have an EU licence and certainly haven't paid or joined. They nip out before or after work for an hour, never get caught because there are no bailiffs and if questioned by members are either rude, threatening, couldn't give a
f. . .k, or all three !
There used to be some enormous sea trout running the river. 20 years ago I recall leaning over the bridge at Grogly and watching pod after pod of 12 - 15 lb fish swimming upriver on an incoming tide.
Most brownies leave for the sea at a maximum size of 10- 14" as there simply isn't the food to sustain them or allow any further growth. 6 - 8" fish are common though and can be free rising. One has to be **** quick to hook up mind.
They are little tigers and on a 7' wand are good fun, and by no means easy. Fish the riffles not the flats is my advice.
You can get small peal in the daylight if you are very stealthy and a dry daddy has served me well for them in the gloaming or on overcast days. Most folks don't realize that fly was originally tied as a sea trout fly by the way.
Let me know how you get on and if you fancy chucking some fluff together ring me on 07817674923.
Cheers,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:15 am • # 27 

Some great advice from experience there!
Many thanks for that!
Many years ago I used to salmon fish on the Camel.
I haven’t fly fished it yet,so looking forward to that Chris.
Will text you later,thanks for your number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:48 pm • # 28 

Thanks for the explanations Chris; always curious about fishing in other countries. We are blessed with our fishing and I hope it will always be that way. In the U.S some previously polluted waters have been recovered and I hope the same happens for the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:37 am • # 29 

Dear JimRed,
my son will be moving to the US within the next year or so, probably CA. He says I can visit as often as I like so I plan on at least 2 trips a year. I may buy a small cheap used RV and travel around and it would be good to make contact and possibly fish with with some of you guys.
Have fished the American river and also in Yosemite very briefly on a previous trip and would appreciate any recommendations not just in CA but perhaps to the east of the Rockies i.e. Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado.
I might start another post asking this question too.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:59 pm • # 30 

Chris
We have a member that has just written a book about fly fishing streams in South Texas; that would make a good reference if you decide to come this way. I'll follow up with more information but I imagine others of this forum with better memories will chim in as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:04 pm • # 31 

Chris
TXH20man is our member that has written the book about fishing in South Texas. Hopefully someone will chim in with the book's title.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:05 am • # 32 

Fishing Austin and Central Texas by Aaron Reed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:01 am • # 33 

Thanks Strummer.
Chris, you can see Aaron's posts as txh20man on this site and the fiberglass flyrodders site. Some of our members have commented favourably about the book.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply