It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Sage SPL 0#
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:33 am • # 1 

Help please gents.
Looking at a Sage 8' 3 piece SPL 0# on e bay. Can anyone please tell me what sort of action this has and is it user friendly for someone looking for a medium flex UL rod. I use a Sage Light Line 8' 9" 3# for much of my fishing
( including the March brown hatch on the famous Scottish salmon river Tweed for big browns up to 7+lbs ) and love it to bits.
I need a #0 rod, but nothing less than 8' long for smaller rivers and streams. I already own a Hends 9' #2 weight.
Problem is - rod is in Japan ( I'm in the UK ) its expensive £460 plus another £125 import tax, VAT and duty and spending nearly £600 for an unseen used rod might be very silly.
Here in Britain #0 weight second hand rods are like rocking horse **** and #1 weights new are too **** short.
Any advice or helpful discouragement would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Sage SPL 0#
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:59 pm • # 2 

Some call it a little quick but I think that's coming from the cane/ glass crowd. I consider it a moderate/ moderate-fast. I like my rods to be what I consider nimble. A bit lively but not a stump. Therefore, IMO, the 080-3 SPL is a moderate-fast-ish stick to me. The action of your 389 is going to be similar but that 0 is going to feel like it's not there, so if you need "feel" you may be disappointed. To cast it well you will need a developed casting stroke that doesn't really differ when you cast a 2, 6, or 10 wt. If you've got that, you'll appreciate the 0.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:08 pm • # 3 

If you pay attention, there are a reasonable number of the Sage TXL-F rods that come across the auction site, at least here in the USA, for what I consider very fair prices. The shipping probably wouldn't kill you. If I had more funds to dedicate to fly rods I would buy one, they are lovely.

And as I think somebody mentioned in another thread the RDP blanks make nice UL rods too, you could have one custom made for not much above USD 300, and I bought my 0wt for around USD 100 on the classifieds here a couple years ago though I got a screaming deal. Only 7.5 ft though, though they are very nice casters...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:08 am • # 4 

Thanks toothybugs, that certainly helps.
Are you saying that one can't feel the SPL ' load ' on the back cast as one can with a slower more middle action rod in glass or cane ? If so I might struggle as you say. I don't want a very slow ' noodle ' of a rod but progressive with some feel. A typical dry fly action I'd say with a little crispness.
Itried a #2 circa and found that almost perfect, sadly not available as a #0 though.
Can you say anything about the other Sage ultralight rods available in #0 weight i.e. SLT or others.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:16 am • # 5 

Thanks also 1ka,
what sort of action do the TXL- F rods have and are they available 8' or longer ?
When you say fair prices can you be a little more specific please.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:37 pm • # 6 

Chris the Ultralight TXl-f’s are 7ft10” and 4-piece
Stiffer in the middle and tip sections than the SPL.
The ones I’ve seen in 0,00,00 are costing around £450-£500 to get shipped over here with duty etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:31 am • # 7 

I saw a few that interested me in the last year for USD 350-400 or so, depending on condition and market. They do seem to be getting a little more popular.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 am • # 8 

Hi canefly,
sounds like you are much more familiar with Sage rods than me, my only experience being the Light Lines.
I used to fish only high end cane but they aren't really available in anything less than #3 weight and those only in shorter lengths.
I look for 4 piece rods these days ( for air travel in my big Orvis duffel ) In your experience which sage ( or other make ) rods of 8+' do you think would suite my requirements with a moderate or progressive, but not full flex action ?
Really would appreciate your help here.
Thanks, Chris.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:01 am • # 9 

Hi Chris
I have a Sage Little One 1wt
Its 8ft2” and 4-piece and really nice!
In fact its so nice a friend in Devon bought one after trying mine.
Not made now so might be tricky finding one?
Works great with a true 1wt line!
My main ultralight lines are all true to grain weight and all artificial silk from
Terenzio in Italy.
Artificial silk has all the benefits of natural silk,but if it is left wet on a reel?
It doesn’t rot.
And after greasing a few times? They float all season and float better thsn pvc,well in my experience they do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:52 am • # 10 

Sounds like a Sage Little One would fit the bill perfectly canefly, I'll look out for one.
I only have one silk line and its a french Pecher a' Soil 4 weight La Chrysalide for use with one of my short cane rods.
Can you let me have the contact details of Terezio please as the artificial silk sounds interesting. What grain weight do you use on the #1 weight Little One ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:03 am • # 11 

Just found Terezio Although their artificial silk lines go down to #2 weight it seems only the natural silk ones come in #1, #0, #00, #000 is that right ? Also the prices weren't shown as far as I could see.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:22 am • # 12 

Hi Chris
The site isn’t the easiest to navigate but he does do 1,0,00,000 in natural silk
I have the 3 of those myself.
Will text you his email later.
I buy the half lines at 16.5 yards,plenty for the fishing I do and half the price.
Still DT and looped both ends with micro silk loops.
Cost for a half line posted to UK is £78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:23 am • # 13 

Sorry
In artificial silk I meant there

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:30 am • # 14 

I have two Sage 1wt’s and the Terenzio artificial silk in 1wt is spot on,
At 60 grains.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply