It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Wew - hello again
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:13 pm • # 1 

Hello (again) all. I wandered back after another extended absence. I'm glad to see this site is still here!

Been some changes since I was last active on here - COVID, of course but that didn't hamper my fishing much in 2020, if anything I had more time to fish because my business was slow. I also moved the family 2500 miles across country, we left Oregon behind for good and resettled on the far outskirts of Houston. Instead of a cramped little apartment in a not-great neighborhood, we've got just a hair under 3 acres, and a 2400 sq foot home in a rural subdivision with four ponds / small lakes.

In the six months we've been here, I've fished more than I had in the preceding year. I'm also quite thoroughly enjoying fishing for (and catching) bass in 'winter' - despite being born and raised in NW Oregon, I'm 100% over cold, wet, sometimes snowy winters. We had "snow" here for a few hours, on one day this year, and a handful of mornings that dipped into the low 30's (but it was 55-60 by mid afternoon on those days) and we've had a lot of 60-80 degree days so far. A guy can really get used to that!

I don't currently have any ultralight fly rods, I sold my UL fly rods to cover some costs during the earlier months of 2020. My lightest rod right now is a 5 weight, and I've been fishing a lot more with my 6, 7, and 10 weight rods. I want to pick up another light rod for the panfish and bass in our ponds at some point.

Right now my light tackle is in the form of spinning rods - which have been quite productive of late! A crappie jig suspended under a float has been killer for largemouths in the last couple weeks.

That last guy wiggled and slipped out of my hand, hence the grass.

I had to send this pic to my cousin a week or so back, they were getting snow back in Oregon where we left, and the thermometer on my van said 80 degrees while I was driving up to the pond.

We've also fanagled access to a pond next door to my grandparents home - they used to own it, then sold it to a neighbor. We're trading keeping up with the landscaping around the pond for fishing access. Its full of LMB and assorted panfish.

I've also managed some firsts since moving here - landing new-to-me species of panfish, including Rock Bass (cool little panfish, maybe my favorite of the panfish I've caught out of the neighborhood creek)

I've been enjoying the conventional tackle bassing a lot here, and have landed a few piggies from the ponds, and my son landed his new personal biggest bass a few weeks ago, also on a crappie jig.

The only down side to moving cross country was leaving some loved ones behind, including my cousin who was my fishing partner. My wife will fish with me, and my son will - but they're not all-day, adventurous types. My dad's here, and he loves to fish, but he's also a bit less adventurous, though I'm hoping I can rope him into exploring some Hill Country streams this year. I need to make some new friends and fishing buddies here. I really want to hit up the Hill Country rivers and streams, and some of the lakes over by Austin or San Antonio.

Post subject: Re: Wew - hello again
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:57 pm • # 2 

Glad to hear you are enjoying Florida. Wishing I was there, though Oklahoma doesn't usually get too cold. I too look forward to fishing the Texas Hill Country again. I had a big conclave set up last year for the Georgetown area, but had to cancel due to Covid. Hopefully, maybe by September this year, we will be able to set up another conclave in the Georgetown/Austin area. If you haven't already obtained a copy of Aaron Reed's "Flyfishing Austin and Central Texas", you need to get a copy (available from Amazon).

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:41 pm • # 3 

welcome to houston. i live in humble.

you may like the weather now but wait till it 95 degrees and 100% humidity.

if you are not familiar. right now the white bass are coming out of the lakes and running up the creeks to spawn. not sure what large lake you are near, so do some research. they are fun to catch and taste good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:48 pm • # 4 

That's fantastic news!! Good for you trading up like that from an apartment to what you have now. All those ponds just a few yards from your front door and fishing your neighbors pond for just a bit of yard work. You're going to spoil yourself, but I think you have earned it.

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:14 pm • # 5 

Wildcat wrote:
welcome to houston. i live in humble.

you may like the weather now but wait till it 95 degrees and 100% humidity.

if you are not familiar. right now the white bass are coming out of the lakes and running up the creeks to spawn. not sure what large lake you are near, so do some research. they are fun to catch and taste good.

Nearest sizeable lake is Conroe - in the 6 months we've been here, I've not yet fished it. It pains me when we have driven past that I've not wet a line, but I haven't found too much in the way of public access either. Everyone I've talked to here says you need a boat to fish Conroe with any success.

There's a few city parks I've found that have ponds - one here in Magnolia, and one over in Tomball that my dad introduced me to when we visited for Christmas in 2019.

I need to find some public access on the Brazos and the San Jacinto to get some moving-water fishing in.

As for the weather... we arrived here on August 5th, so we got to experience those 100+ degree days with the humidity. I spent a few months trying to help my dad get a resale business off the ground, and as part we spent a lot of time working in his non-AC equipped shop, or outside refinishing / refurbishing furniture, sorting thru stuff we picked up at auction. Fun stuff!

I figure the few months of really terribly hot & humid are the price to pay for the 8-9 months of gorgeous weather that isn't too hot, or too cold. I was thankful that the handful of hurricanes that approached SE Texas missed us, though I do feel bad for the folks over in Lake Charles that kept getting pummeled.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:14 am • # 6 

Well, I certainly skimmed through your original post. Glad you are enjoying TEXAS, not Florida. Does make a little more sense in arranging a trip to the Hill Country.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:08 am • # 7 

I guess everything is bigger in Texas? Welcome to the south.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:52 am • # 8 

strummer wrote:
I guess everything is bigger in Texas? Welcome to the south.

The average bass, and average daytime temps sure are! :lol

Between the friendlier people, the culture being more in line with my own values, the weather, the fishing... you seriously couldn't pay me to go back to Oregon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:38 am • # 9 

@mmckenzie. email me nyoung@hcp4.net

we are doing a white bass trip soon. I'll explain the details privately.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:33 am • # 10 

Wildcat wrote:
@mmckenzie. email me nyoung@hcp4.net

we are doing a white bass trip soon. I'll explain the details privately.

Sweet! email on the way

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:42 am • # 11 

PM me your mailing address, I'll send you a couple of books on fishing the Hill Country rivers and streams.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:16 pm • # 12 

Good to see you back on the forum Mc. Welcome (back perhaps) to Texas.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:28 am • # 13 

JimRed wrote:
Good to see you back on the forum Mc. Welcome (back perhaps) to Texas.

Its sort of a welcome back. I lived in Texas for about a month and a half when I was an infant, right after being born. Dad was USAF, stationed at Lackland AFB. Unfortunately my mom split with him after just a cpl months, and flew us back to Oregon. My second visit to Texas was over Christmas in 2019 - wife & I fell in love and knew we wanted to be here in 2020. Texas felt more like home than Oregon had in a long, long time for us. We wanted to be here before Thanksgiving, and got here a few months early. Pulled into our driveway here at home on the 5th of August. :)

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply