It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 46 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:17 pm • # 1 

Any trips you want to share . Maybe get togethers etc ?
I'll start first . I bought a used self contained truck camper for me and the pup and will be leaving here for most of the summer and much of the fall but will touch base when and if I have a doc appt or get terribly bored . First I'll head north to S. Colorado around Creede , Conejos Rio Grande , then N.W to Green river and then N. to Wyoming , Montana and Idaho . Not in any particular order or spot just to get the heck out of here and do some fishing and wandering . I'll probably spend more time in Idaho as I really love it there but will be doing things around SW Montana too .
Maybe drop in the Bridger for a while depending on my walking status . Any way , thats what I'm planning on , how about you ?

Last edited by jangles on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Who is planning
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 pm • # 2 

Can't compete with the road trip you have planned, but my wife and I may make the 20+ hour drive to upstate NY in late May. If all goes according to plan, I'll drop my wife off at her mother's near Cooperstown. Once she's situated, I'll head towards Syracuse to meet with my cousin for a few days of fishing. The goal is to participate in The Mayfly Project's 25 on the Fly tournament, so we'll be bouncing all over the state for a few days chasing everything from brook trout to tiger musky. Doubt we'll be able to compete with some of the teams that have been participating in this style of tourney for years, but it should be a good time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 pm • # 3 

That sounds like fun , I always wanted to fish that side of the country but not much disbursed camping there . Thats how I can do the trips I do if I had to pay for lodging etc I couldn't do it .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:01 pm • # 4 

North Carolina in May. Not sure exactly where. It's been a while since I've been on a trout stream, and I'm really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:05 am • # 5 

Wow! Great plans, guys. You got me thinking and dreaming in spite of all the frozen lakes and streams here. I'm not ready to travel too far and wide yet, and will likely stay in New Brunswick, but that could change as the situation improves. I've got a few days of Atlantic salmon fishing at a buddy's camp on the Miramichi lined up for late april, and some striped bass fishing in Miramichi in May with a guide friend. June will be dedicated to local trout fishing; july and august will be warm water fishing, especially across the road on my 'home stream'. Two weeks at a lake in August exclusively for smallies, then salmon fishing again in September, and a 'cast and blast' or two in October. I may get called upon to sub for my fishing buddy's older brother who is not sure he'll make the trip to Labrador for giant brookies in July, but last I saw him, he was sitting up and taking solid food (haha) so I'm hoping he can go. Might be his last trip there.
Other than that, nothing earth shattering planned.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:44 am • # 6 

Like Brent, I’ve spent the last while dreaming and scheming about fishing during the upcoming open water season. I injured my back last July and haven’t cast a fly since then so the itch is almost unbearable. I usually do a lot of early season fishing out of a float tube but that may not be in the plans this year since my back is still a bit wonky. I’d love to hit Wyoming, particularly the Wind River Range, but with the closed border and limited mobility that looks like another pipe dream. So much for what I can’t do.
My current plan is to fish some of our local warm water rivers at access points that I’ve identified on Google Earth during my winter researching. My wife has also promised to join me on our boat for a few fishing trips since fishing buddies aren’t allowed due to ongoing Covid regulations. I’m also going to dust off the old VW Camper and head off to the Crowsnest area of Alberta for a few days, weeks or months of trout fishing. Like Ron, I’ll be self sufficient and able to move around on a whim. Should I want to stay closer to home, we have some great trout and smallmouth waters.
So time will tell, the only guarantee is that there will be lots of fishing done.
Harry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:43 am • # 7 

I'll be lucky if I'm able to squeeze in an overnight trip here and there throughout the year. A young family takes up most of my time, a house to finish, a farm to run and a brutal on-call schedule at work take up the rest. Have fun with all your travels, however!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:52 pm • # 8 

Some good stuff here , keep it coming . Too bad for you Ika , one day you'll be retired and get to do the stuff you want , Maybe !

I'd love to do the Labrador thing but if it's part of Canada I cant come across the border , altho I have but just to buy booze on the Canadian side of Detroit .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:47 pm • # 9 

the wife and i are planning a trip to woodland park colorado in June for our 10th anniversary. we stayed in a cabin there for our honeymoon. I'm planning to reserve a guide one day for fishing. other days will be driving pikes peak again, doing the manitou incline and checking out some local breweries/wineries.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:15 pm • # 10 

jangles wrote:
I'd love to do the Labrador thing but if it's part of Canada I cant come across the border , altho I have but just to buy booze on the Canadian side of Detroit .

How did you manage to get across at Detroit? I assume this was during the last year of covid closure? Or are you just not allowed into Canada in general?
brent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:52 pm • # 11 

wheezeburnt wrote:
jangles wrote:

How did you manage to get across at Detroit? I assume this was during the last year of covid closure? Or are you just not allowed into Canada in general?
brent

That was in 1995 or so . They didnt check anything at all and I wasnt aware that I was not suppose to be there with my 40 year old dwi .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:13 pm • # 12 

Jangles: You might find this surprising, then.

http://bordercrossing.ca/canada-dui-entry-2019-changes/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:05 am • # 13 

I'm going to Disneyland!!! That's what all the Super Bowl winners say.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:39 am • # 14 

I haven’t been doing any real planning, just a lot of hoping and wishing. I’m still unable to drive legally due to poor eyesight. My second cataract surgery went off as planned in late January. The operation was a success and the patient survived. There was an eye exam scheduled for March 9, but that was postponed until the end of April, due to the current Covid-19 situation. Almost all businesses around here are closed down because of a recent outbreak of the disease with weird variants and mutations. So for now, I’m laying low.

Hopefully by springtime in the southern hemisphere I will be vaccinated and driving a new old car, which should open up many possibilities in this state or the next one further north. I hope to get back into the trout country up that way. If the border is reopened there is even a chance of getting to northern Argentina or Uruguay for river dorado. That’s it for now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:03 pm • # 15 

Prayers to you Pete . Looking forward to more of your stories .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:21 am • # 16 

Forgot to mention a second mini road trip I'm hoping to have time for this spring/summer...

Assuming time allows, I'm hoping to begin working on my redeye bass slam in Alabama and Georgia as well. The four Alabama species should be more than doable as my brother lives near Warrior Bass territory, my sister lives near Tallapoosa Bass territory, and the other two species are located along my drive to either of their homes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:27 pm • # 17 

Plan on fishing a lot more back country fishing this year here in Maine. A lot more small stream and beaver pond fishing. Also want to fish northern NH some this year on the Connecticut River system. The major rivers here in Maine have become a zoo. So I want to do more remote fishing for native brookies. I bought a little Scott G2 2 weight and have a Scott F2 3 weight. I expect both to get a lot of use this year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:25 pm • # 18 

I am going to hit the industrial retention ponds on Freeport Ave. in my home town with an emphasis on using my newest rod addition, a 10 ft 3 wt from Cabelas. Been watching you tube videos this week end while recovering from hernia surgery and have three sets up ready for the task:
A spool of equivalent 3 wt with an extra weight forward section; a spool of ordinary 3 wt; a spool of equivalent 2 wt, level line and this with extra mono leader. The latter is for tight line nymphing and the two former for back or roll casting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:21 pm • # 19 

Thinking about Yellowstone this summer. It all depends on how this Covid thing goes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:58 am • # 20 

softhackle wrote:
Thinking about Yellowstone this summer. It all depends on how this Covid thing goes.

This would be a great time to go to Yellowstone because there will be fewer people than normal due to Covid.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 46 posts ] New Topic Add Reply