It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 46 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:05 pm • # 41 

Quit being so cheap Jim. Just buy a house and give me a call. I'll come down and commiserate with you over how badly you got screwed on the deal while we are fishing. 8)

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:06 am • # 42 

This has been a fantasy of mine for many years, but its not with ultralight gear. I am finally going pike fishing with a fly rod in Minn. in Aug.

Now to bring it back to ultralight gear, I have planned this year to fish trout only with soft hacked flies just to see what I have been missing. I am pretty much only a dry fly fisherman, though the last two years I have been interested in soft hacked flies more and more. Last year I fished a few and did rather well. I noticed the trout hit these hard and a few tales have been rather exciting.
So this year, so far, its been fishing the creeks with these flies on my 2 & 3wt rods and I have had nothing but a great time with this method.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:29 pm • # 43 

Iasgair wrote:
This has been a fantasy of mine for many years, but its not with ultralight gear. I am finally going pike fishing with a fly rod in Minn. in Aug.

I know it's not UL, but that should be a blast. I landed my first Tiger Musky on a fly rod back in May and can't wait for the opportunity to get back into some larger Esox (Musky or Pike). Have to admit though, that little tiger I caught made my 7wt feel like a UL. Doubled it over at a few points during the fight.

Good luck!

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:26 pm • # 44 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
Iasgair wrote:

I know it's not UL, but that should be a blast. I landed my first Tiger Musky on a fly rod back in May and can't wait for the opportunity to get back into some larger Esox (Musky or Pike). Have to admit though, that little tiger I caught made my 7wt feel like a UL. Doubled it over at a few points during the fight.

Good luck!

Chris

Thank you. I will do my best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:19 am • # 45 

You'll love pike fishing! We got into quite a few back in '14 while brookie fishing at Igloo Lake in Labrador. The trout were 3 to 6 lbs, and we were using 4 and 5 wt rods, but the pike didn't exceed maybe 20 lbs and were reasonably manageable. Lost a few flies on account of using 4 to 6 lb leader. I'd strongly recommend heavier or tooth-resistant leader. Please report on your adventure!
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:07 pm • # 46 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Please report on your adventure!
brent

X2!

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 46 posts ] New Topic Add Reply