It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 10 and longer 3wt rods
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:25 am • # 1 

I was thinking the other day that I could use a 3wt. I was looking into getting something either 10' or longer for some nymphing action. I was looking at a Sage 3100-4 Pulse recently, anyone here ever fish that rod? Or any other that you would recommend? I am not opposed to going longer than 10' either. I know several manufacturers make 11' and longer 3wt rods.

Thanks in advanced.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:49 pm • # 2 

The longest I fish is a 9’ 3 wt and I love it. It’s an older SC blank, but the growing popularity of longer 2-3wt blanks in the euro-nymphing market has me thinking along the same lines.

Love the shorter featherweight sticks and they certainly have their place. However, that same weight rating with a few more feet of butt section really opens-up the utility for light line/finesse fishing. One can push a light flyline much better into the wind with the longer casting stroke and target considerably larger fish comfortably with it. That extra few feet of butt really shines for fighting angles. Ability to use a much longer leader comfortably on a long rod speaks for itself, be it deeper nymphing or stealthier presentation. A big plus.

While they are a bit heavier and require more reel to balance, the advantages can be huge. Most folks using the models you inquire about are strictly euro-nymphers, however, there are some who also claim those sticks are killer dry fly rods when used appropriately.

Absolutely love the color of the Sage Pulse, it’s just looks really…right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:54 pm • # 3 

knotjoe wrote:
Absolutely love the color of the Sage Pulse, it’s just looks really…right.

That’s what I was thinking but what it fishes like is ultimately what matters. I was also looking at the offerings from R.B. Meiser as I have one of his Spey rods. He makes a 3wt switch as well as a 3wt Spey. I just don’t think that I want to go that hardcore with this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:37 am • # 4 

I have a 2100 ESN. I like it for both Euro work and general line mending or single-hand spey on my local creeks, which can tighten up to 10 feet across or open to larger pools getting to 50-60-70 feet across and a rod length in depth. The long (10+) rods seem like they would get heavy to hold up all day and I don't think I'd want an 8wt reel to balance it.

That said, I built up the 11ft 3pc 2/3 from ARE a few years back as a light switch and utterly love it. Way too heavy to hold up for nymphing though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:42 am • # 5 

Let me start out by saying that long fly rods are really not my thing. I've never owned one over 9 feet long, and for me any ultralight over 7 1/2 feet is long. I was around the noodle rod scene in great lakes steelheading in the 70s and 80s, but those over 9 feet long just never appealed to me, and I got along fine with my shorter rods.

That being said, if I were to look for a 3-weight rod at 10 feet or longer, I would be very careful that such a rod was designed and rated for a true 3-weight line. It seems that many if not most are designed as switch/spey rods for lines of 5-weight or more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:53 pm • # 6 

toothybugs wrote:
I have a 2100 ESN. I like it for both Euro work and general line mending or single-hand spey on my local creeks, which can tighten up to 10 feet across or open to larger pools getting to 50-60-70 feet across and a rod length in depth. The long (10+) rods seem like they would get heavy to hold up all day and I don't think I'd want an 8wt reel to balance it.

That said, I built up the 11ft 3pc 2/3 from ARE a few years back as a light switch and utterly love it. Way too heavy to hold up for nymphing though.

I’ve fished a 10’ 2wt before and enjoyed it. My reasoning for a 3 is that I happen to have a spare reel with new three weight line. Well I’ve fished the line a few times but utterly hate my current 7’6” three weight rod.

One of my favorite non UL rod is a 10’ 7wt. I use that for all kinds of things from single hand steelhead to still water with sinking line. I got to thinking that I might want a lighter version for when a 7wt is a bit much.

Those ESNs also look nice. I have been looking at the offerings from Sage, Hardy, Orvis, Winston, and Thomas&Thomas. I suppose here soon I’ll have to try to locate some to cast.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:57 pm • # 7 

PampasPete wrote:
That being said, if I were to look for a 3-weight rod at 10 feet or longer, I would be very careful that such a rod was designed and rated for a true 3-weight line. It seems that many if not most are designed as switch/spey rods for lines of 5-weight or more.

Fly rods have always been like women’s clothing sizes. Just because that’s the number printed on it, doesn’t mean that it’s the true size. My wife is agreeing with that statement as I am typing it :lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 pm • # 8 

Not long ago I purchased a Cabela's chez nymphing rod, 3 wt, 10 feet.
To me the rod is interesting to fish, not what I expected. I like to overhand
cast it; for me, it will overhand cast a 3 wt line well but going up/down one
wt. did not work. I tried spey casting with the rod and that did not go well; maybe
a different setup would with a lighter shooting head.
I am anxious to try some tight line nymphing, or something close to that, with the rod.

Even a palm size blue gill puts a good bend in the rod.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:09 pm • # 9 

Went to a shop today to check out some rods as well as picking up some other supplies. I brought the reel that I would want to use which quickly eliminated a few choices such as e 3100 Pulse. Unfortunately the foot of the reel is a bit shorter than some of the modern choices. It would not tighten down all the way which wouldn’t work for me. I ended up pulling the trigger on a 3WT Redington Strike 10’6” length.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:42 pm • # 10 

I went with a Echo 10 foot 3 weight Shadow about 10 years ago , God its been that long? Anyway this is the first series Czech Nymph rod they offered and I use the heck out of it , usually I'm fishing mid to large rivers , can Czech Nymph and switch up to show dries or smaller streamers after dark. Such a great tool. but requires larger waters, I fish a lot of very small creeks and sometimes 6 foot rods are issues ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:57 am • # 11 

I got into UL fly fishing a couple of years ago and recently added a 10ft #3 "V-nymph" which looks same as a Maxcatch brand. So far it has only been used in saltwater in an estuarine setting and with a DIY skagit head it has allowed me to cast 40-50 ft with a 1/0 clouser. Being in New Zealnd, it has accounted for local snapper (similar to US "Porgy"), trevally and Kahawai (cousin to speckled sea trout) and is so much more fun than the 7 weight outfits I was using as my main weapon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:08 am • # 12 

I got into UL fly fishing a couple of years ago and recently added a 10ft #3 "V-nymph" which looks same as a Maxcatch brand. So far it has only been used in saltwater in an estuarine setting and with a DIY skagit head it has allowed me to cast 40-50 ft with a 1/0 clouser. Being in New Zealand, it has accounted for snapper (similar to US "Porgy"), Luderick, Trevally and Kahawai (cousin to speckled sea trout) up to 2 pounds and is so much more fun than the 7 weight outfits I was using as my main weapon.
The snapper I often target by drifting a fly nymph style under an indicator but for the rest the main approach is a clouser style crawled slowly along the bottom.
https://youtu.be/cUXgDvQwUfI - using the 10 ft rod
https://youtu.be/-45eXZ2b144 - using a standard 8ft #3 rod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:44 pm • # 13 

Wolfie wrote:
I got into UL fly fishing a couple of years ago and recently added a 10ft #3 "V-nymph" which looks same as a Maxcatch brand. So far it has only been used in saltwater in an estuarine setting and with a DIY skagit head it has allowed me to cast 40-50 ft with a 1/0 clouser. Being in New Zealand, it has accounted for snapper (similar to US "Porgy"), Luderick, Trevally and Kahawai (cousin to speckled sea trout) up to 2 pounds and is so much more fun than the 7 weight outfits I was using as my main weapon.
The snapper I often target by drifting a fly nymph style under an indicator but for the rest the main approach is a clouser style crawled slowly along the bottom.
https://youtu.be/cUXgDvQwUfI - using the 10 ft rod
https://youtu.be/-45eXZ2b144 - using a standard 8ft #3 rod

I have that rod in 2 and 3 wt . Not a bad rod .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:20 pm • # 14 

Great videos!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:34 pm • # 15 

strummer wrote:
Great videos!

Thanks - it's something I slowly learning about to edit so there aren't the long "dry"bits between action ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:26 pm • # 16 

Yes great videos!

I think it is an odd choice that the V-nymph has an uplocking reel seat. Great value for what it is though.

Can we talk more about your homemade skagit line?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 pm • # 17 

I remember back when fly rod companies said a 9' 4wt really couldn't be done, but then Scott Rod company made one and it was fantastic. Then the other manufacturers started making them too.
Now look where we are, 11' 2 & 3wt. rods. Whoda thunk it?

Thomas & Thomas has a long 3wt. that I'm interested in, just not the price for a 3wt. But I'm slowly talking myself into it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:56 pm • # 18 

Iasgair wrote:
Thomas & Thomas has a long 3wt. that I'm interested in, just not the price for a 3wt. But I'm slowly talking myself into it.

Buy once, cry once.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:37 pm • # 19 

toothybugs wrote:
Iasgair wrote:

Buy once, cry once.

True. So true. :)
Ok, you talked me into it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:28 pm • # 20 

I bought an Orvis Recon 10' 2wt for my son, then he informed me that he was having a baby so fishing is on the back burner for him now . I used it on the Deerfield during the spring a couple of times and it was fantastic!It pretty much could do everything! Cheers,Chet

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply