It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:41 am • # 21 

Hi have a 10’ #4 hardy zephurs, which I bought in a close out sale, it’s a great rod, I fish a lot of still waters so this rod is very versatile. I know they produced a 10’ #3, if you could find one? They new ultralight nsx is out but big bucks now.

Another rod I can personally recommend is the Guideline LPs, guideline is Scandinavian brand we get here in the UK, there stuff Is great, clothing too. The 9’9 #3 LPs seems to be on sale a lot and be bought for $160, which is fantastic for the quality, given most of guidelines rod are $400+, Would be worth shipping to the US even with the tax.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:53 am • # 22 

I have no affiliation but uttings have them in stock, and bet they’ll ship internationally.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p131396-guide ... -3-104642/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:14 pm • # 23 

A Taylor Dynamix 10' 6" 3 wt might be worth a look. The Taylor rods seem to get good reviews, and the price is right at $200.

Just for giggles I picked up a GLoomis IMX Pro Euro 10' 2 wt while I was on vacation last month.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:39 pm • # 24 

The Taylor Dynamix is a great shout, they look really interesting and very good value.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:09 pm • # 25 

I have three #3 weight fly rods: glass 7ft 6in, carbon 8ft and carbon 10ft (Czech nymph). They are all distinctly different and all get used in my saltwater estuary outings. In many respects on paper the 10 foot rod looks to be the best choice for longer casts and better fighting platform as my leader vary from 12lb to 20lb depending on the fish's dental work and the amount of oysters and/or jagged rocks in the environment. However in real world experience the 10 foot is a pain (in the arm) because of an unexpected characteristic: windage. In New Zealand the weather is dominated by the Tradewinds as it sits in the "Roaring Forties" latitude. A ten foot long blank and flyline in the rings picks up a lot of drag from the constant breezes and get very tiring to hold with a single handed rod. The shorter rods have (of course) shorter and slimmer blanks and are a "breeze" to fish with in the same conditions. So the 10 foot will be up for sale, no doubt to a trout fly fisher, and I will fish very happily with the shorter two rods. Interesting what one learns while fishing!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:57 am • # 26 

Wolfie wrote:
I have three #3 weight fly rods: glass 7ft 6in, carbon 8ft and carbon 10ft (Czech nymph). They are all distinctly different and all get used in my saltwater estuary outings. In many respects on paper the 10 foot rod looks to be the best choice for longer casts and better fighting platform as my leader vary from 12lb to 20lb depending on the fish's dental work and the amount of oysters and/or jagged rocks in the environment. However in real world experience the 10 foot is a pain (in the arm) because of an unexpected characteristic: windage. In New Zealand the weather is dominated by the Tradewinds as it sits in the "Roaring Forties" latitude. A ten foot long blank and flyline in the rings picks up a lot of drag from the constant breezes and get very tiring to hold with a single handed rod. The shorter rods have (of course) shorter and slimmer blanks and are a "breeze" to fish with in the same conditions. So the 10 foot will be up for sale, no doubt to a trout fly fisher, and I will fish very happily with the shorter two rods. Interesting what one learns while fishing!

Just wanted to mention that I also have the carbon 10 ft(Czech nymph) rod and experienced the "pain (in the arm)" from using it.
I solved that problem by adding a second handle to the rod below the fly reel and now it is a two handed fly rod. I did this by removing the end cap from the fly rod, drilling a hole through the center of the rod and Gorilla glueing a wooden dowel into the fly rod and attaching a handle I had cut of a discarded spinning rod to the other end of the dowel.
It works great and relieves the strain (if you use it as a two handed fly rod). Warning though, if I cast from the bottom, added, handle the dowel will break so it has to be used with two hands holding both handles so that the pivot point remains at the junction of the top handle and rod. If the rod is held by the lower handle and cast with one hand, the pivot point will be at the junction of the bottom handle and wooden dowel; the dowel will then snap.
I had the dowel snap once and replaced the dowel. Since the replacement of the dowel and using the rod in the two handed fashion, no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:11 pm • # 27 

I would suggest the Taylor Dynamix, at it's price point. The Taylor's have a very good reputation.

If you want to spend more, the Diamondback Ideal Nymph has an excellent reputation.

The guy that designed T & T's nymph rods, Joe Goodspeed, is now at Diamondback, and there are a lot of people raving about the Ideal Nymphs.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply