It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:49 pm • # 1 

I'm VERY Arthritic in both wrist and elbow. I'm going to have to drop down to my 2# and 4# as the heaviest. What would you say would be my range of sizes of fly I should tie for these 2 weight rods?
Thanks for your time! I sure appreciate you! Many Blessings!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:04 am • # 2 

If you stick to hook sizes 12 through 18 you'd be golden. Certainly you could go smaller but you probably don't have to. If you're going to use a 12 -- especially if weighted -- make sure you use a heaver tippet. Realistically you can probably catch anything that swims with a bunch of different flies in size 14 and it will cast great.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:47 pm • # 3 

lka wrote:
If you stick to hook sizes 12 through 18 you'd be golden. Certainly you could go smaller but you probably don't have to. If you're going to use a 12 -- especially if weighted -- make sure you use a heaver tippet. Realistically you can probably catch anything that swims with a bunch of different flies in size 14 and it will cast great.

Have fun.

Thanks Ika! I sure appreciate you!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:03 pm • # 4 

I think it largely depends on a few variables: your casting style, expectations, distance desired, and conditions. It seems reasonable to expect you could cast #10 sparsely dressed streamers with little difficulty. I routinely fish with two flies on a 0-weight: a #10 streamer and a #14 soft-hackle wet fly on a dropper, with no problem. But I use an open loop for casting and don't try for great distances. Some on this forum take it to greater extremes. Don't be afraid to experiment!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:08 pm • # 5 

PampasPete wrote:
I think it largely depends on a few variables: your casting style, expectations, distance desired, and conditions. It seems reasonable to expect you could cast #10 sparsely dressed streamers with little difficulty. I routinely fish with two flies on a 0-weight: a #10 streamer and a #14 soft-hackle wet fly on a dropper, with no problem. But I use an open loop for casting and don't try for great distances. Some on this forum take it to greater extremes. Don't be afraid to experiment!

Thanks Pampas Pete! :applause

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:29 am • # 6 

I'll toss leader dimensions in there as well. I routinely throw a chain-eyed #8 and 10 Clouser with my 286 XP a decent distance (40-50 feet) with reasonable ease but my leader is never longer than 8.5 feet with a 3x tippet, usually in the 7-8ft range.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:24 am • # 7 

toothybugs wrote:
I'll toss leader dimensions in there as well. I routinely throw a chain-eyed #8 and 10 Clouser with my 286 XP a decent distance (40-50 feet) with reasonable ease but my leader is never longer than 8.5 feet with a 3x tippet, usually in the 7-8ft range.

Hey Toothybugs, great information! I appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:11 pm • # 8 

I typically fish hook sizes 6 to 12, using bead heads, bead chains, cones and wrapped wire for weight.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 pm • # 9 

I have the same problem from ageing so I'd like to share what I have experienced as my method of continued fly fishing on an almost daily bases for 1 - 2 hours.
1. Learn to cast with the off hand. This also helps keeping the fly away from pedestrians and shrubbery(assuming I
am choosing the hand that places the line and fly over the water).
2. Follow the standard and match the fly rod to the line to the fly. I do alot of fly line modifications but have found
the published standards are easier on the body. I still fish my mods but when the soreness starts creeping back I'll
use, for example, a 7ft 3wt with a standard 3wt line and a fly no larger than a #12 or #14. Still catching bass on a
#14 wooly.

3. A longer rod gives good leverage for casting, but tougher on the body. I use a 10ft 3 wt some days but retreat to a
7ft 3wt for most of my fishing. When needed I'm fishing the 6 ft 2 wts for healing.
4. I've found a tape that re-inforces joints and works really well; I use to use splints and this is better as it doesn't get
in the way of fishing activity. I don't recall the name of the tape but I am sure it available in drug stores, I found
mine at wallMart. To describe: it's soft and adheres well to the skin; kind of beige coloured. I wrape it around finger
joints and even my elbow. I'll see if I can find the name of it and post it. It's been a real life saver for my fly fishing.
5. This is extreme, but a few years ago my wrist got so sore I resorted to velcro-ing the rod to my forearm and
avoided using the wrist; it got better even with continued fishing and by using the above guidelines have not had to
resort to the Velcro.
6. Watch the late Lefty Kreh fly fishing tutorials on youtube. He fly fished well into his 80's. Joan Wulff's techniques
are good to watch on youtube as well (and many others).

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:08 am • # 10 

WOW! Jim Red, Really helpful info! Thank-you so much! I really appreciate your help. I see you are
in Coppell. Where do you consider your home waters, local ponds or near lakes and rivers? Again thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:03 am • # 11 

Stick around Charlie, there are plenty of us Oldsters around who have found ways to outmaneuver old age and still keep fishing.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:38 pm • # 12 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Stick around Charlie, there are plenty of us Oldsters around who have found ways to outmaneuver old age and still keep fishing.

Hi Cliff! I certainly hope to stick around! I'm just getting back in all the Fly Fishing experiences! My health had declined so far I sold ALL my Fly Fishing gear, including all my Fly Tying stuff. I have replaced three rigs, a 2#, 4# and 5#. I think I have now got all I need to to start tying again. I just replaced my Peak vise and a bunch of materials. I still haven't finished my tying area. I know or think I know I have everything I need. I make all my stuff so I still need to make all I need. The Arthritis is slowing me down, but I'll get there! Cliff I'd love to meet you and share a cup of coffee! I realize you may be too busy for that! Have a Blessed week, Many Tight lines! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:38 pm • # 13 

Charlie1947 wrote:
WOW! Jim Red, Really helpful info! Thank-you so much! I really appreciate your help. I see you are
in Coppell. Where do you consider your home waters, local ponds or near lakes and rivers? Again thanks!

Your very welcome. I fish the ponds in Coppell, there are quite a few and not heavily fished. They are all drainage/holding ponds; some are industrial and some are residential. There are lakes near by and the Trinity river but I confine my fishing to the ponds.

Btw, the tape I mentioned above is by 3m and is "Nexcare"; it's $3.50 a roll at Walmart. I put one wrap around a sore joint and am good to go.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:26 am • # 14 

JimRed wrote:
Charlie1947 wrote:

Your very welcome. I fish the ponds in Coppell, there are quite a few and not heavily fished. They are all drainage/holding ponds; some are industrial and some are residential. There are lakes near by and the Trinity river but I confine my fishing to the ponds.

Btw, the tape I mentioned above is by 3m and is "Nexcare"; it's $3.50 a roll at Walmart. I put one wrap around a sore joint and am good to go.[/quote

Thanks SO MUCH Jim Red. I'll get the tape, I'm confident it will help! We have a number of stocked Frisco ponds with great access! Coppell is such a beautiful city! Many tight lines! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:08 pm • # 15 

My issue is occasional tennis elbow. Also, since I mostly use an 8 wt ( I know, not UL, but I have a 3 wt in the boat), my wrist gets sore as well. The style of casting that Lefty Kreh taught, RIP, is a lifesaver. Now it's not strictly a completely correct Lefty cast. By limiting arm movement and keeping wrist immobile, I get very little soreness. Raise the rod tip to 10:30. Rotate your upper body from the hips/waist. This moves the rod tip 2 to 3 feet, although it is a slightly curved horizontal path. The elbow and wrist stay locked, hence less pain. More importantly the vertical path is straight, as the rod tip position is fixed. Yields very narrow loops; I have to drop the rod 6 inches after the stop to keep Clousers from hitting the rod. Most pro casters accomplish this with the "wrist flip" and is very hard to see without slow motion. But the wrist flip is the painful movement; a locked wrist avoids this.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply