It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Landing nets?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:00 pm • # 1 

Many fly-fishers seem to consider a beautifully crafted landing net an essential piece of equipment, but I don’t.

In fact, on a fishing trip a while back with some Brazilian fly-fishers, which incidentally are a rare breed, they subtly reprimanded me for landing trout with just a wet hand. They told me that best practices for catch and release fishing include using a landing net. However, after landing a fish, one handles it to remove the hook, so why not just handle it to begin with? Never mind that a landing net is just one more thing to catch on the brush while walking to or from that special spot. Obviously when fishing from a boat a landing net is advantageous. But while wading, if you’re just going to let them go anyway, why bother with a net to be sure they don’t get away before they are released? I would like to know your thoughts on this subject.

Post subject: Re: Landing nets?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:50 pm • # 2 

I do use a silicone net landing net that I put on my back with a magnet clip. You can definitely land a trout by hand and obviously you shouldn't net a 5 inch trout but those silicone nets are quite fish friendly and for a larger fish I think it is better for the fish to net it as you don't have to drill the fish as long and tire it out so much.

When you have a landing net you don't need to use it all the time but if you don't have it there might be a situation where you might regret not having it.

Now in a tiny brook trout stream you might not need a net but in rivers that hold larger trout it can help

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:59 am • # 3 

I suspect a landing net of appropriate netting material (silicone or rubber) is easier on fish than landing them by hand. They can be landed greener in a net than if you are going to try and get them to hand, which is probably the biggest factor in fish survival. I don't usually handle fish in the net, it just holds them securely enough to let me reach in and unhook without touching them. And tired fish can be readily revived in the net, whereas it is challenging to revive a tired fish by hand -- they tend to escape before they are really ready to release.

That said, I find nets a hassle to carry when I am stalking fish so I usually don't have one ::)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:13 am • # 4 

I'm really enjoying this discussion. I always have a net for salmon (wading) and striper(boat) fishing, but beyond that, its generally 'yes' in the boat, 'no' while wading. I see the merits of both cases presented here, and there's lots to think about.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:31 am • # 5 

There is a "third" option too which has not been mentioned -- a dehooker. Mine is one of the bar style with a T handle on one end and a pigtail on the other (it is an ARC 8 inch "panfish" model) and it works stupendously good with a little practice. Hook gape needs to be at least a size 12 or equivalent. I even use it on trout, all the time. Don't tell Trout Unlimited...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:23 am • # 6 

I have nets but dont have a need for them . I just spent another week in Colorado and not one fish to hand , again ! Man I suck .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:26 pm • # 7 

Jangles and I are obviously brothers from different mothers. We're both old and too heavy. We're both old Marine veterans. We both have back trouble. And although we both own nets, we seldom need them for lack of catching fish. But hey no problema. Most flyfishers are into catch and release, we just shortcut the process and go right to release. Saves a lot of time and effort.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:53 pm • # 8 

Larry and Ron, that sounds like what my grandfather taught me about fishing when I was but a lad:
"All we got
was fishermen's luck,
a wet butt
and a hungry gut!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:04 pm • # 9 

I have found that I can land a fish earlier in the fight with a net than by hand. In a cold, aerated stream that's generally not a major issue, but on a shallow grass flat in a South Texas bay in summer it can be a major factor. The hotter the water, the less dissolved oxygen it holds. I generally carry a rubber net in the skiff or kayak, so I can minimize the stress to the fish. I don't get to wade those lovely trout streams very often.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 pm • # 10 

Larry , I couldn't have said it better .

Pampas Pete , you are exactly right !

The sorry part of all this ? I'm getting ready to do it all again ! Cmon Epidural ! lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:32 pm • # 11 

Long neck,silicone net and barbless hooks. It's the only way to do it. Easy in ,easy off,easy out! Cheers,het

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply