It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:33 am • # 1 

The U/L fishing here on the prairies has crashed this season with an unprecedented drought hanging over the region all summer. Traveling further has also been nixed for me, high temperatures and low flows elsewhere has kept the VW camper in storage.
Enough bitching, I am now looking further afield amid possibly relaxing COVID travel restrictions.
Two or three countries look enticing for the type of fishing we enjoy; Portugal, Croatia and possibly Turkey.
I’m thinking a small suite in a sleepy village, a few nice restaurants and nearby vineyards. And of course the mandatory creek/small rivers and ponds.
Do we have any members in some of those countries or some with suggestions for other places?

Harry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:45 pm • # 2 

All the options you've mentioned sound great.

Something a little different that I've always wanted to try was Costa Rica. There are higher elevation streams that contain wild populations of rainbows. Then further down slope, you get into a plethora of cichlids and other tropical species. Just be sure to invest in a good pair of snake boots.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:36 pm • # 3 

I was actually thinking of heading to Costa Rica this winter. My wife doesn’t fish so anything we do there would be a compromise of sorts. Tackling those cichlids would make that trip worthwhile.
Still interested in Tenkara or U/L fly fishing in Europe in the fall if anyone has any suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:18 pm • # 4 

Hello Harry
I've fished in Croatia several times and I love in particular 2 rivers: Kupa (Kolpa), with his tributary Kupica in the village Brod na Kupi, and Gacka near the village Otocac. Kupa and Kupica are fame for graylings and people go there in particular for these fishes, there are even few trouts, but a lot more rares. In Kupica you can fish only with dry fly.
Gacka is a wonderful classic chalk stream and was fame for the big trouts. Now it's not so easy fish big trouts like years ago, but anyway it's a wonderful river. Near those rivers there are hotels or apartments that you can rent. The surroundings of Brod na Kupi are hills and mountains with forests, around Otocac there is a plain, a kind of plateau with cultivated fields.
Kolpa river sign the north croatian border with Slovenia.
Close to Brod na Kupi there is the village/small town Delnice, with bar and restaurant.
A little more far from Otocac, about 45 minutes by car, there is Senj, on the coast, a tourist town with a lot of restaurants and bar.
About my personal taste I love fish graylings and I prefer Kolpa and Kupica, but if you like tourism the best is Senj who is not so close to Gacka. If you prefer trouts is better Gacka, but the surroundings are not so beautiful like Kolpa surroundings.
If you search on the net you can find even more informations.

roberto

P.s.
years ago I gone to Kolpa and Kupica and there was even there problems with river leves. I don't know this year, but I counseil you to take a look on the net or to call before if you decide to go there. If you like hotels one year I gone to Hotel Kovac in Osilnica, who is in the slovenian side of the river. The director reply in english even to emails if you ask him about the river conditions; the hotel is not bad, in summer there are a lot of youngs and schools who go there for sport.
Btw I prefer apartments, I feel myself more free.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:49 pm • # 5 

Roberto, it's really good to see you back on this forum again. Without wanting to hijack this thread, here's one that you may find interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12447

Regarding fishing abroad, how is it in the mountains of Italy?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:59 pm • # 6 

PampasPete wrote:
Roberto, it's really good to see you back on this forum again. Without wanting to hijack this thread, here's one that you may find interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12447

Regarding fishing abroad, how is it in the mountains of Italy?

Thankyou very much Pete, it's my pleasure.
The problem is that in last years I didn't go too much to ultralight fly fishing, because covid restrictions but because, in particular, the situations of the rivers close my town is not good: on mountains trouts are year after year more rares, close to extintion, because bad management. And in warm waters there is a kind of biological upheaval: alien species, thrown insanely into our rivers illegally, are prevailing over the native. I am a DRY ultralightflyfisher and simply the species that I was use fish with dry fly are disappeared or disappearing. There are places in Italy where on mountains every year farmed adult trouts are thrown into rivers, because too much fishing pressure and too few catch and release zones, but I don't like go fishing those trouts, I prefer wild fishes.

Last edited by zigo on Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:25 pm • # 7 

Texas, we've had good ul fishing this year with plenty of rain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:42 am • # 8 

Thanks so much for that information, Roberto! You’ve given me a great place to start looking, it seems our interests are quite similar. Grayling and a small apartment fits the bill quite nicely. Now to wait and see where COVID takes us next.
JimRed, Texas is my home away from home and I spent a number of winters there both on SPI and the Guadalupe River. Can’t say enough about the hill country, both the fishing and the people. Unfortunately, the border remains closed to us Canadians so we have to look elsewhere.

Harry

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply