It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




  Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
Author Message
 Post subject: Wading boots
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:04 pm • # 1 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 04/04/18
Posts: 203
Location: Idaho
Anybody have preferences or recommendations on wading boots? Makes, models, bottom materials? For years I've wet waded in sneakers but it isn't ideal from a safety standpoint and I figure I should treat myself before I have to spend the money on an ER visit instead. Most of the bottoms of the waters I fish consist of large slippery rocks (boulders, really) and traction is at a premium. I do tend to do a lot of walking/scrambling along the bank in-between fishing spots.


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:37 am • # 2 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 12/27/10
Posts: 2145
Location: Plano, TX
When I used to wade in rocky rivers before my knees went bad I used boots with metal cleats because they helped me to not slip, they grabbed the rocks. I highly recommend them.


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:45 am • # 3 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 06/13/16
Posts: 870
Location: Southwest Florida
I know this isn't an answer to your question, but whatever you do, USE A WADING BELT! I say this because on my last trip, I went in too deep and...

I was using one, so it might have been worse.


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:14 pm • # 4 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 04/04/18
Posts: 203
Location: Idaho
strummer wrote:
I know this isn't an answer to your question, but whatever you do, USE A WADING BELT! I say this because on my last trip, I went in too deep and...

I was using one, so it might have been worse.


Glad you're still with us! I haven't worn waders much because previously I didn't own any, most of the places where I wade are inaccessable (snow) or unfishable (high and fast) until the water is warm enough to wet wade anyway. But I did get a pair handed down to me recently. Actually another reason I'm looking at buying wading boots is that none of my current shoes are oversized enough to wear comfortably over the stockingfoot waders.


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:20 pm • # 5 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 04/04/18
Posts: 203
Location: Idaho
Cliff Hilbert wrote:
When I used to wade in rocky rivers before my knees went bad I used boots with metal cleats because they helped me to not slip, they grabbed the rocks. I highly recommend them.


I was eyeing adding a set of aluminum cleats to whatever boots I bought.


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:56 pm • # 6 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 617
Location: Oklahoma
I have tried several brands of wading boots over the past 32 years. I currently am very happy with a pair of Simms boots. I also have a pair of Chotas, that protect my feet well and afford good traction, but they are very heavy, and at 74 years of age, not pleasant for a long walk. The Simms are lightweight and as comfortable as a pair of hiking boots. I have tried both felt and rubber soles, but have found I prefer rubber with aluminum cleats. Felt soles grip well on most wet rocks unless covered in really slimy rock snot, but do not grip well at all on on steep banks. I have found aluminum cleats to grip better than steel or ceramic. Anybody who has ever paddled an aluminum canoe down a river and run over some rocks will know what I am talking about. Aluminum is soft enough to really grip. Simms boots are not cheap, but in my opinion they are better made than some of the other brands and will last longer. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have not had good results in longevity with Korkers or Patagonia boots.

Larry


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:06 pm • # 7 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 12/27/10
Posts: 2145
Location: Plano, TX
Canoeman1947 wrote:
I have tried several brands of wading boots over the past 32 years. I currently am very happy with a pair of Simms boots. I also have a pair of Chotas, that protect my feet well and afford good traction, but they are very heavy, and at 74 years of age, not pleasant for a long walk. The Simms are lightweight and as comfortable as a pair of hiking boots. I have tried both felt and rubber soles, but have found I prefer rubber with aluminum cleats. Felt soles grip well on most wet rocks unless covered in really slimy rock snot, but do not grip well at all on on steep banks. I have found aluminum cleats to grip better than steel or ceramic. Anybody who has ever paddled an aluminum canoe down a river and run over some rocks will know what I am talking about. Aluminum is soft enough to really grip. Simms boots are not cheap, but in my opinion they are better made than some of the other brands and will last longer. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have not had good results in longevity with Korkers or Patagonia boots.

Larry


Larry, the reason I bought metal cleated boots was to fish the Lower Mountain Fork River in Beavers Bend State Park. Those rocks are slick and sharp and hell on old knees. :'( I also bought some cheap foam gardeners knee pads I bought at Home Depot to put under my waders so that I wouldn't mess my knees up any worse than they already were. Using the knee pads also saved my waders when I stumbled and fell on the sharp rocks there. Next time I would try the aluminum cleats that you suggested.


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:08 pm • # 8 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 617
Location: Oklahoma
You know Cliff, for some reason I never thought of wearing knee pads while wading. That sure would have saved my knees a lot of pain over the years. Some shin pads would be useful also. I certainly have the scars to show a good reason for pads.

Larry


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:21 pm • # 9 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 04/04/18
Posts: 203
Location: Idaho
After listening to all you old geezers I for one am planning on wearing a full set of medieval plate armor for wading from now on.

To update this thread, I did get a screaming deal on a set of rubber soled Orvis Pro boots so I bought them. I like them so far but I don't have any experience wading in them yet.


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:36 pm • # 10 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 617
Location: Oklahoma
Old geezer you say! I would whup you with my walker if I could remember where I left the danged thing. :lol

Larry


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:15 pm • # 11 
User avatar
Newbie

Joined: 11/19/21
Posts: 4
The safest wading boots I have found are felt soles with tungsten studs. They grip on greasy bottom boulders as well as slippery limestone flats and muddy stream banks. On rain-wet metamorphic gneiss rock ledges in North Carolina though, they don't do so well.

Korkers are a good brand because you can buy different soles for the boots (felt, sticky rubber, etc). I have some old Korkers that are great for my favorite streams in the Smokies because they also serve as my hiking boots when fishing.


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:12 am • # 12 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 12/10/14
Posts: 199
Location: Manitoba
In my mind, a good wading staff is at least as important as boot sole type when conditions dictate. When your fly rod starts wind-milling and your CG exceeds safe limits, those three points of contact are priceless.
Harry


Top
  
 Post subject: Re: Wading boots
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:24 pm • # 13 
User avatar
Sr. Member

Joined: 02/07/14
Posts: 317
Location: New Caney, Texas
[quote="lka"]After listening to all you old geezers I for one am planning on wearing a full set of medieval plate armor for wading from now on.

Take your WD40, and don't fall in..............


Top
  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

  Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

- OurBoard Support -