It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Another Wisconsin Intro
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:20 pm • # 1 

It must be spring in Wisconsin, we're all a little cabin feverish up here, but there is hope! Sunday is supposed to be in the high 50's, so I think we'll hit Neenah Creek for some early season catch and release action.

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here, but have been fishing a G Loomis 6'6" 3wt as my go to rod for over 24 years. I am from Wisconsin and have grown up fishing small cedar swamp headwater areas in the Nicolet National Forest, so longer, heavier rods have never been effective. Even when I moved to Logan, Utah for graduate school, I always fished the small mountain headwaters streams for cutts rather than the planted browns and rainbows further down the valleys. Now, I'm in Central Wisconsin, so there is a mix of small streams in thick forest and some streams that wind through meadows.

Last summer, I spent 2 and half weeks in Wyoming completing a Cutt-Slam. It rekindled my OBSESSION with small stream fly-fishing out west. My twin 8 year old daughters came fishing with me to West Tensleep Creek (Big Horn National Forest), the Wood River (Shoshone National Forest), Pebble Creek (Yellowstone National Park), the Madison River (Yellowstone), the Gibbon River (Yellowstone), Pacific Creek (near Grand Teton National park), Greys River (Bridger Teton National Forest), La Barge Creek (BTNF) and Smiths Fork (BTNF). It was a fantastic trip, dispersed camping and fishing mountain creeks for native Cutts. Many of our campsites along the Oregon Trail. My dughter found an obsidian arrowhead!

This spring I bought my girls each a Cabelas CGR 6'6" fiberglass 4 wt and a Cheeky preloaded 2,3,4 reel (Not fancy, I know, but they're 8, so I figured a 4 wt might offer a good balance of weight and durability). Now I can teach them to cast and fish on their own. We're an Ultralight fly fishing family, even the wife has a 6' Cabelas PT+ 4wt, which frankly, feels lighter than my old Loomis G3.

Thanks for letting me onto the forum, I've already called on the expertise here to help me set up my newest purchase: A 5'9" Reddington Fiberglass Butterstick with a JA Forbes Avon 2". Please see those questions in the Rods, Reels and Line forum if you want to help a guy out.

Fish well,
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:27 am • # 2 

Hello, Matt! Congrats on the cutt slam!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:16 pm • # 3 

welcome, I have a CGR 4 wt too and think that was an excellent choice for your daughters...easy to handle rod...not tough on the body. Looking forward to your posts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:47 pm • # 4 

Howdy, Matt!

Last year’s road trip sounds like it was a blast!

Good on you for getting the girls their own outfits! Soon enough they will be old hands at it.

Take care, sir.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply