It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Dead?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:42 pm • # 1 

Did everyone die? lol This place is quiet as a morgue. Somebody lie to me, please!

Post subject: Re: Dead?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:47 pm • # 2 

I have been too busy working, but I poke in almost every day and have been thinking the same thing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:08 pm • # 3 

I hear you. I've been tempted to start posting trip reports based on 6 and 9 wt rods just to encourage a response - any response. :lol
Worst comes to worst, I'll post my photos of Cliff Hilbert dressed as a japanese schoolgirl.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:13 pm • # 4 

wheezeburnt wrote:
I hear you. I've been tempted to start posting trip reports based on 6 and 9 wt rods just to encourage a response - any response. :lol
Worst comes to worst, I'll post my photos of Cliff Hilbert dressed as a japanese schoolgirl.

I hear he has quite nice legs but he's not a virgin!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:38 pm • # 5 

:lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:10 pm • # 6 

I check in now and then. I enjoyed looking at photos and reading the posts with them. I gave up posting pictures after the 2nd posting site shut down; and posting takes time if your uploading pictures.

Like most I assume, I fish a range of rods and not just UL. Never posted anything but UL on this site, 3wt and below. I fish rods from 2wt to 5wt; thus alot of my fly fishing is NA.

Although I've spent many years in my long life fishing UL spinning, all that interest me now is fly fishing.

I've seen a couple of people pass away from this site and some just go missing; may sound overly sensitive to the younger folks, but I feel sad for them that they are not still enjoying their fly fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:44 am • # 7 

wheezeburnt wrote:

I would NEVER dress up like a Japanese schoolgirl !!! It was a Korean schoolgirl's uniform. I tried to be a virgin once but it didn't last long, the fish were calling me every day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:09 pm • # 8 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
I would NEVER dress up like a Japanese schoolgirl !!! It was a Korean schoolgirl's uniform. I tried to be a virgin once but it didn't last long, the fish were calling me every day.

I stand corrected. :eek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:22 am • # 9 

Based on the infrequency of posts on ULFF in the past few years, I’ve been wondering about whether there is less interest in UL flyfishing than in the past couple of decades when, driven by marketing of the concept primarily by Orvis and Sage, it was new and different—counterculture or outre, so to speak. It wasn’t really new then (Leonard made 0 weight rods and reels nearly a century ago, and my Orvis Seven/three bamboo rod is approaching fifty), and I don’t think it’s dying now, but there are so many ways to catch fish with a fly (none of which are actually new, though they seem to be) that interest may be diluted, especially among younger flyfishers, who naturally are attracted by the excitement of bigger fish and bigger places to fish. We’ve all gone through the “catch a fish, catch a lot of fish, catch big fish” phases, I suppose. I don’t fish to eat, so I don’t care that my catch is small. I care how fishing makes me feel.

I find myself gravitating to the smallest, quietest waters, smaller fish, and the lightest tackle and flies. I tend to think of 3 weights as kind of heavy these days, so I pretty much fish 1 and 2 weight gear when possible—which is most of the time I have to devote to fishing. In my limited time in the wild, I hunt out secretive little creatures that don’t take up much space in the environment, The tiniest of fish, amphibians, birds, and woodland creatures have captured my heart. Maybe it’s a philosophy that I’ll carry to the end, or maybe it’s just a phase that will pass when I can no longer see to tie tiny flies or knot 7X, but it’s where I am now. Meanwhile, I hope this site survives and thrives, finding new members who delight in experiencing the world of the miniature when they venture afield.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:18 pm • # 10 

Nice post, CrossCreek. Sounds like we've been on parallel pilgrimages. I just got back from a trip to my tiny home creek, catching fish 11" and smaller on my one weight. You are right: its all about how fishing makes you feel.
I wonder too, if the ULFF requirement isn't part of the issue? Seems any time we take up a hobby/activity, we eventually start to specialize and split and split and split until we're elite members of, for example, a special club of folks who fish tiny dry flies to rising fish with 1 wt rods, upstream on cloudy days, with double taper lines.
The fact that we expanded to ultralite spin fishing and some of our most durable threads were about handguns has gotta be a sign.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:08 am • # 11 

I’ve been fishing about 70 years, fly fishing 50+ and u/l fly fishing 5 or 6 years. I’ve gone through the same progression as Cross Creek has and now enjoy fishing as much ever in going after micros. Tenkara rods and 1 wts are my staples these days.
Harry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:52 am • # 12 

I’m here from time to time, but i hardly post anymore.

When Jeremy and the guys started this site on Yuku so many years ago, it hit me right at the perfect time in my life. My kids were very small and i took them fishing at my dad’s pond almost everyday. We used orvis and sage and norie and Tj’s bear den and almost every other rod you can think of. Oh man, the precious memories i have of those days.

I was totally in the race to fish the lightest, most sensitive rod possible. And it was a blast. I had a lot more disposable income back then and more free time. But as life goes on, i have more kids, less time, less money and much less interest in gear. Plus, we had like 3 more kids, we moved twice (away from my main fishing spot), and whatever other crazy changes life brings. On the plus side, we moved right beside a trout stream though, so i rarely pond fish and chase almost exclusively trout now.

I’m back down to my orvis one weight trout bum, an eagle claw 4wt, and a redington 8’3”classic trout 3wt. I use the 3wt almost exclusively because it’s a great rod and easily replaceable if i lose or break it. When i got my Orvis Trout bum, the 25 year warranty sounded like a lifetime away, but I’m getting close to the end of it. The trout bum is the last of my original fly rods and I’d hate to break it or lose it, so it stays in the tube.

My biggest takeaway after the last 15 years of being a member of this site: when i comes down to it, I’m not a gear head. New rods are fun, but when I’m fishing, I don’t really think or care about the rod.

I learned so much from the guys here like crosscreek, jdub, Jeremy, and so many others. I really love and appreciate you guys and everybody here. I hope the site’s not dead, but i know i don’t post as much as i should. Maybe most of us have just moved on. Thanks for everything guys. I’d go back and do it all again if i could. Ha!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:27 pm • # 13 

I still look at the site daily. Move from Ohio to Charlottsville Virginia 2years ago to be near my son. Found some great places down here to play on a regular basis. I started fly fishing upon retirement from a Law Enforcement career in Mahoning County Ohio. Mostly utilizing 2-3wt.rods. Have some Lami rods of heavier weights because a love the way they load.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:31 pm • # 14 

Now that I've finally got the new skiff I'll be doing more; the Skull Island just wouldn't let me up on the flats as low as the water's been the last few months. You can bet that one or two two weights will be in the boat every trip, and the half weight when the water gets cooler. On days when the wind lays down I'll be throwing those ULs at the reds and specks. Wish I could post photographs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:04 pm • # 15 

Please allow me to go out on a limb, even though it may get cut off shortly thereafter.

While this forum might not be the liveliest place, we can be sure that ultralight fly fishing is not dead. On other forums, fly rods in the 1, 2, and 3-weight range are ever more mentioned, which leads me to believe they are more widely accepted. The rods for tight-line/euro nymphing in those line weights seem to be particularly popular.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:51 pm • # 16 

Like many, I am still here and check in on occasion. The low volume of posts I think is somewhat self-fulfilling, rather than demonstrating a lack of interest in UL fly fishing. I was thinking about starting another fly swap, but I probably don't have the time to actually run one. I would participate, however...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:18 pm • # 17 

Between work, the move, photobucket wanting to charge, horrible internet service, it took me 35 minute to upload pictures a couple of minutes ago. I check in a couple times a week, but it’s been over a year since I posted a trip report.

Just realized, I’ve been a member here for 12+ years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:55 pm • # 18 

Most fishing sites come and go. There are times when the fishing websites are very popular, other times when they yearn for participants, that's just the way it works. I remember how TFR, Texas Flyfishing Report, was the most popular flyfishing site on the web, but it eventually ended because the owner decided he had spent enough time on it. Sometimes the interest of people just wanes, so people go elsewhere or nowhere at all. This site used to be quite busy, but in time it has slowed, it's just the nature of the beast.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:47 am • # 19 

So then, what does it mean if the only active discussion on a forum is about the lack of activity?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:48 am • # 20 

It means that no one likes you or me, Brent. :P

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ] New Topic Add Reply