It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 45 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:31 am • # 41 

I tried reading all the posts in this thread, but my ADD kicks in from time to time. So I find myself skimming through things. I really enjoy ultralight tackle--even with spinning and baitcasting tackle for bass, I use light tackle. One of the things though that concerns me with playing a fish for the lengths of time required with this tackle is...are we killing fish? I've never tried to catch a trout on 12x tippet (I'm not even sure if I know what that looks like if it is actually visible to the human eye) so I don't know what one has to go through to land a trout with such a fine tippet. But it seems to me that a fish would have to be played to utter exhaustion. I know we all revive our fish, but does the fish really recover from getting played that long and hard? Just curious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:49 am • # 42 
Administrator

Sean,
I think the key to this is keeping the fish in the current as long as possible with a quick in & out for a photo.
As for warm water thugs that we find in slower creeks, rivers, and lakes, I gently move the fish in a back and forth motion to keep the gills in oxygenated water. I've never lost one this way even after a long fought battle.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:01 am • # 43 

Sean, the 12x does not kill fish. Improper fish fighting tactics kill fish. If you use a light, soft rod, like a one or ought weight with a smooth reel, you can land the fish like you could using 8x on your one weight. Back your drag all the way off and maintain a shallow rod angle letting the tip protect the tippet, and the butt fight the fish!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:58 pm • # 44 

Another one . :lol :eek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:25 pm • # 45 

pearow wrote:
dont know its break stength but walmart mono thread in the dark color is .0005 and the light color is .0006(if I remember correctly); someone may have the means to test it; if so its a good source as you can get a bunch for just a buck or two-p-
note; the 12x from the little red shop says its diameter is .0026, which is way larger than .0006.

Just read this thread. I use the fine monofilament from WalMart to tie 99% of my flies. The diameters are .005 and .006, not .0005 and .0006. It's Coats and Clark thread; I haven't explored other suppliers since WalMart is convenient. I have no idea what the breaking strength is, but I have tried to suspend an unloaded Government Model under the .005 and it broke (no surprise there......). Perhaps Coats and Clark have tested the breaking strength; it might be worth reaching out to them if somebody really wants to know. I'll admit I'm curious, but I'll sleep just fine tonight without knowing the answer to that question.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 45 posts ] New Topic Add Reply