It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29   Page 29 of 29   [ 568 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Welcome!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:15 am • # 561 

Colo. has so many areas for so many different weights of rods it's truly a fly fishing paradise. I think the reason the 5wt is so popular is, well, on the rivers like the Arkansas and Colorado, and the Gunnison, a 5wt is the one to use. Plus we have many more rivers where a 5 would be the proper choice.

Also, a 5wt can still be used on smaller waters, and depending on the circumstances, the 5 is the most versatile. But......yes there is a but. Just because it's the most versatile doesn't make it the correct rod to use, for example it would be like a sledge hammer on creeks where a 2wt would be the proper choice.

And let's just face the facts, catching 10 inch brook trout on a 5wt is nowhere as fun as catching 10 inch bookies on a 2 or 3wt.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:08 pm • # 562 

Hello to Y'all, from here in west central Missouri. A good friend introduced me to ultralight fly fishing years ago by letting me try his 3wt. yeah he got me hooked on ULFF but good. When he and his wife left Mo. for his work, he gave me a 6' 2wt. TFO, since that time my heavier rods haven't been uncased. I love to chase bream in local lakes and ponds. I really enjoy ULFF and since retiring 7 years ago I have really gotten to use that 2 wt. I think I'll really enjoy myself here. Take care, John.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:41 pm • # 563 

Most welcome and enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:55 pm • # 564 

Breamchaser wrote:
Hello to Y'all, from here in west central Missouri. A good friend introduced me to ultralight fly fishing years ago by letting me try his 3wt. yeah he got me hooked on ULFF but good. When he and his wife left Mo. for his work, he gave me a 6' 2wt. TFO, since that time my heavier rods haven't been uncased. I love to chase bream in local lakes and ponds. I really enjoy ULFF and since retiring 7 years ago I have really gotten to use that 2 wt. I think I'll really enjoy myself here. Take care, John.

Hey John, welcome and please post up some reports from your neck of the woods!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:32 am • # 565 

TXH2Oman, I am somewhat familiar with your area of Texas, Years ago when I was in high school My family often would go to Lake Travis/ Georgetown area for camping and fishing. We even took my then, Bride-to-Be with us. Had a great time there but have not been back since then, enjoy the area for us. Take care, John.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:30 pm • # 566 

Welcome and post up some pics for us of the bluegills.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:08 pm • # 567 

New guy here. Originally from Texas, but now hail from Nashville, TN - you know the home of Batchelorette parties and pedal taverns. Have liked UL for decades - even back into my Teens. Have 6, possibly more UL spinning and at least 4 fly - although one or two may be blanks waiting to be built.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am • # 568 

Welcome aboard, Mhill
brent

Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29   Page 29 of 29   [ 568 posts ] New Topic Add Reply