It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next   Page 4 of 29   [ 568 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Welcome!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:30 am • # 61 

Andy, I'm lucky enough to live on a lake. It's called a lake were I live. More like a slow flow medium to large river in size. However, it feeds into a stream anywhere from 10' to 40' in width which is an absolute joy to fish. For the most part it holds most of the warm water species of fish for my area. I've fished that stream for the better part of 2 decades with my dad. Lots of great memories there. No high stick'n on my part and I 99% of the time fish small and a few medium size streams. As for rod length, I've fished a 7.5' 4wt browning midas medallion as my only rod until recently. So, I can't say if I would feel under "gunned" with a 7 footer. Not sure which way to go. I found a 7.5' that I'm looking for used. So $$$ may dictate length not my preference. I've been looking at ebay and a local shop that deals with trade-ins for a 1wt. The TL sounds interesting and I will keep an eye out for it but I'm gravitating to a 7 or 7.5 1wt. However, $$$ may very well dictate what I end up with. Check your PM Ed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:06 pm • # 62 

Hi all,
Just found this forum. I love and primarily fish small streams or creeks. I am fortunate to live in Northern Colorado and have lots of places to go. I am also fortunate to own some mountain property with the trifecta on it: lake(stocked Rainbows and Cuttbows plus Browns), stream, full of wild browns and brookies plus'bow escapees from the lake, and an unbelieveable creek loaded with all of the above. This is where I spend most days in the summer and fall. The elevation is high, so it takes it a while to get going. I am 42 and have fly-fished since I was a teenager. I find it to be the most rewarding, complete, fishing experience for me although I still spin and baitcast from time to time. I am a confirmed gear-junkie and make no bones about it. I love all the new stuff and also collect and use vintage gear. I am primarily a dry fly guy but will go to whatever to catch fish if need be. I look forward to gaining new knowledge and friends here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:14 pm • # 63 
Administrator

Welcome to the UL forums Fishstix. We are glad you found us. We look forward to hearing your adventures. Sounds like your property is a fisherman's paradise. We like pics here so post some of your water and fish if you can.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:34 pm • # 64 

Thanks, glad to be here!
These are from my first outing this year to the smallest creek. Water was open in spots and I managed a few small brookies and a lot of fun!

[img]https://images.ultralightflyfishing.com/u/1/tp/300bmt0.jpg[/img]

My go-to small stream set up, an Orvis Superfine TB in a 6' 2wt. The reel is a UL model from Bass Pro that is actually a great little reel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:41 pm • # 65 
Administrator

Great pics, and the rod and reel combo looks great. I haven't cast that rod yet, how do you like it?

J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:37 pm • # 66 

Oh man! It is fantastic, short yes, but it casts strong and surprisingly accurate and really fun with the smaller fish I normally get into. The big boys are REALLY fun! I highly recommend it. They do a rod trade up program every year and you can save over $100 at that time. My other small stream choice is a custom built Sage TXL 7' 3wt. I have their 7'10" 1 wt, but prefer the 7 footer over it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:52 pm • # 67 
Administrator

I have a decent 6'6" 2wt that I built on a American Tackle blank, and had a Pac Bay 6'6" 2wt that was sweet, but that one broke. I'll have to build another one some day.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:18 pm • # 68 

Hello, I've lurked this site a few times and just recently got a 3 weight setup going so thought I finally could say hello. I'm wanting to get a 6'6" Lami built in the next month or so but for now I'm using an Albright Topwater 7'6" rod with #3 Cortland 333 line on it. The Topwater was a real turd with #4 line on it (it was labeled a 3/4) but is much better with this new #3 line. Took the rod out this evening and caught my first Rio of the year on it along with many red bellies and also a scrappy little 12" spotted bass that jumped a few times and nearly ran me into some brush- this ultralight stuff is some real fun so far. I figure that rod will cast much better once I get a furled leader made more fitting for a 3 weight line and put on some 6lb or 4 line on it other than the 8lb I was using today.

Forgot to add, I've normally fished with #5 and #6 rods as I like using hopper/dropper setups when I can get away with it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:56 am • # 69 
Administrator

Mike,
Welcome to UL Fly Fishers! you'll find folks with all sorts of suggestions on your new set up. In fact go the the Rods, reels & lines forum and look up sink tips you'll see recommendations on furled leaders and so on.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:58 am • # 70 
Administrator

borumas wrote:
Hello, I've lurked this site a few times and just recently got a 3 weight setup going so thought I finally could say hello. I'm wanting to get a 6'6" Lami built in the next month or so but for now I'm using an Albright Topwater 7'6" rod with #3 Cortland 333 line on it. The Topwater was a real turd with #4 line on it (it was labeled a 3/4) but is much better with this new #3 line. Took the rod out this evening and caught my first Rio of the year on it along with many red bellies and also a scrappy little 12" spotted bass that jumped a few times and nearly ran me into some brush- this ultralight stuff is some real fun so far. I figure that rod will cast much better once I get a furled leader made more fitting for a 3 weight line and put on some 6lb or 4 line on it other than the 8lb I was using today.

Forgot to add, I've normally fished with #5 and #6 rods as I like using hopper/dropper setups when I can get away with it.
Glad to see you over here. If you build that Lami, you will like it. I have the 7' 3wt Lami, and it's a great rod. Another glass blank that's interesting is the Lami 6'6" 2wt that is made special for Southfork rods. Steffen also makes some UL glass blanks.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:21 am • # 71 

Hi Guys, I've been visiting this forum for a while, after hearing of it on Clark's, and even posted once or twice, but thought it was time to properly introduce myself. I'm Wilfred, 32 years old, I live in The Netherlands. Been fishing all my life and since a few years and rapidly becoming a fly fishing nut. I'm also very lucky to have a wife who likes to fly fish, although not as much as me, mostly on holidays. But she always catches more than me, and looks 100 times better in waders!

I'm what some people would call a dry fly "purist", but for myself en my own reasons only. I just don't want to take the risk to miss the slightest opportunity to experience the absolute thrill of a fly being taken from the surface. No "holier than thou" looking down whatsoever on people who enjoy fishing nymphs and wets. The Dutch weather generally is more suitable for those varieties anyway, so they usually catch more than me!

Holland is only just (the very south) in the continental European salmonid zone, so no trout (aside from commercial fisheries) and grayling fishing opportunities here, but fortunately we have quite a few native fish that'll take a fly. I'm particularly fond of fly fishing for the rudd. A beautifully built fish with a golden shine and deep red fins. A rudd around 30 cm fights harder and is more beautiful (IMHO) than an equally sized trout. For this season I plan to take a camera with me on every fishing trip, so I hope to be able to show you some typical Dutch scenery and fish in the future.

I fish with graphite, bamboo and glass, and generally use 4 weight rods. My ultralight fly fishing involves a 6 foot #2-3 bamboo by Dutch builder Ids Schukken and my pride and joy is a 6 foot 6 inch #2 Hardy 'The Graphite Marvel'. Only in the 2004 catalogue, especially made for the Japanese market (ultralight fishing is said to be extremely popular there) and it's 4 piece, very convenient to take it on trips, holidays etc. Reel-wise I'm a Hardy enthousiast, and on my two ultralight rods I use an Angel Featherweight 2/3 and a new 2 5/8" LHW Perfect.

Here's couple of pictures of my last fishing holiday in Sweden, most of the time fishing for grayling on the beautiful Värmland Klarälven river. The first picture shows me with my Hardy 2wt splashing around in a very small forest stream, not catching anything but twigs and bushes that day but still having a great time...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:41 am • # 72 
Administrator

Wilfred, love those pics. I really like to hear stories from you Gents in Europe. I'd like to make it over there for holiday sometime if my finances ever allow.
I'm interested in grayling, and I'd certainly like to hear more about the Rudd.
By the way, Hardy has a couple of new 2wt rods that I'm sure you would be interested in. There will be a review of these two rods as well as a bunch of other 2wt rods at Fly Fish Ohio around June. I'll post the link here when the review is done.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:36 pm • # 73 

Thanks guys for the suggestions and the welcome, Wilfred, that is some pretty water you have there in Holland.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:53 am • # 74 

We do have pretty water in Holland, but these pictures are from Sweden! Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:56 am • # 75 

Hi guys and Gals......I have been lurking here a couple of weeks. I have recently renewed my interest in fly fishing and was really excited to find a forum on ultralight fly fishing. I lived in Co for 8 years or so and trout fished there. I moved back to the south and my gear gathered dust in the closet. I recently spent a couple of months in Belize and started fly fishing there. This really got me fired up again. I really want ultralight gear to attack the bluegills that live at my back door. I have a whole bunch of questions that I will post in the appropriate threads.........Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:12 am • # 76 
Administrator

Rustyhook,
Welcome to UL Fishers! I am certain you'll get most of your questions answered. Please oin us tonight for Live Chat With Rick Pope of TFO.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:10 am • # 77 

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but looking forward to picking up some tips from you guys. I've done a fair amount of UL fishing but not too much on the fly but want to learn more so here I am! My favorite spots are in Vermont where the Brookies are plentiful, and of course, warm-water fishing here in Central Ohio.

Glad to be here!Image

Elisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:11 am • # 78 
Administrator

Elisa, welcome to the UL forums. Glad you can join us.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:28 pm • # 79 
Administrator

Elisa,
Welcome to UL fly fishers! we're glad you're here.
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:49 pm • # 80 

Hi - I'm a fiberglasser who is slouching towards ultralight fishing. Great board you have here. Cheers, Pete

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next   Page 4 of 29   [ 568 posts ] New Topic Add Reply