It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:05 pm • # 1 

Hi,

I'm new to this forum (as opposed to the old guard of yesterday) and to UL flyfishing in general. I seem to be following the same trend as I did when I primarily fished trout and bass with spinning gear. I kept going lighter and lighter because it was fun and the gear was good enough to get the job done efficiently. When I came back to fly fishing I couldn't understand why everyone seemed to shy away from 2 lb leader material when I was used to using 2 & 4 pound mono for all trout and a lot of bass that often went 3+ pounds. You just needed to use UL rods to fight the fish properly. Finally there seems to growing numbers in the fly fishing arena that feel the same way.

Now for my first set of questions where I basically want to know how you feel about the overall utility of UL rods.

Who uses their 000 to 2 wt as their primary rod for trout and how does it handle things like nymphing, streamers and dropper rigs with some added weight on the line? Do you use your UL only on small waters? What is your typical casting range?

My 3 wt is currently the first rod I go to and I'm looking to go lighter. This UL stuff sure sounds like fun!

And a special thanks to the creator of this site.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:22 pm • # 2 
Administrator

gzacckey, Thanks for joining the forum. Andy and I made this site just for folks like you, who like to fish UL gear.
To kind of answer your first question, I use my 2wt a lot although I fish for panfish, I use weighted nymphs all the time. I have no issue casting them with a 2wt.
I've fished bead head micro buggers on the 2wt and not had any issues. I can't say that I've used dropper rigs though.
For your second question, I mostly fish the creek that boarders my back yard, it's about 40 feet wide in most parts, and I have no issues casting to the far bank. I also use the 2wt for fishing in the local reservoir and have no issues there either. A 50 foot cast is easy enough with my 2wt. Most of my casts though are in the 10-40 foot range.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:36 pm • # 3 

Thanks for the information. What is the brand and rod length of your 2wt? 10 to 40 ft. is certainly long enough for 90 percent of my fishing. I'm making a short list of two weights to test drive. Right now I'm looking at TFO professional & finesse in 1 or 2wt; the st. croix Legend ultra & avid and even the Sage TXL.

I wish Cabelas still had their clear creek line. That would make it affordable to try something without breaking the bank.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:55 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I built my 2wt on a Pac Bay Tradition II blank, and it's 6'6" long. To me it sort of casts and has an action that's similar to the old Orvis Superfine 6'6" 2wt "One Ounce".
It's a slow action rod, and it's a true 2wt.
I also have an American Tackle Matrix 6'6" 2wt. I didn't get to fish it very long, I had issues with the Batson snake guides that I used on it so I stripped the guides off and haven't got around to redoing the rod. The Matrix has a bit more power than the Pac bay, but it lacks feel compared to the Pac Bay. I'd choose the Pac bay blank over the Matrix every time.

I haven't cast the Finesse 1wt or 2wt so I can't comment on those. The only St. Croix Legend Ultra I've cast and fished was the Pre-IPC 8' 3wt. It's a very nice rod and I'm sure the 2wt is good rod too. I have no experience with the Sage TXL's either although I'd like to cast them.
Cabelas has a 6'6" 2wt in their PT+ lineup. They also have a 7'6" 2wt in the LST series. Andy has that rod and he loves it.
I'm going to have to run up to my local fly shop and cast the TFO Finesse 2wt to see what it's like. I've given it the wiggle test, but you can't always tell what a rod is going to be like by simply wiggling it.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:31 pm • # 5 

Gene, gzacckey, how are you? The 2wt LST rod is amazing! I have thrown BH #8 Woolly Buggers on it with 5x tippet to stocker trout and have not had a problem horsing the fish out of weeds. It is all about how you use the rod. If you utilize the butt strength of an 0-2wt rod, you can leverage a fish harder on 5x tippet than you could with a 5wt. I use my 2wt exclusively, and only own one rod heavier due to the fact that my missus bought it for me, and I cannot get rid of it.

The light rods offer better tippet protection, and for the price, you cannot beat the Three Forks 3wt rod from Cabela's. I had one, until an hour ago, and it has a REALLY soft tip on it for tippet protection. I have used 12x tippet on it and only broke off one fish, due to my own stupidity of course.

I am anxious to get down on the White River system to take the 12x challenge with my 2wt LST. When I get down there, over the winter, I will have pictures posted from the hotel I hope!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:57 pm • # 6 

Thanks gents. I'll be heading up to Cabelas this weekend for theire club member discount night. They typically give 25% off cabelas name brand merhandise in addition to any sale prices. Other discounts are much less. I'll just need to get there early and test cast a number of rods. I didn't even notice the LST 2 wt. Thanks for pointing that one out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:12 pm • # 7 

I would really look at the TFO Finesse 7'3" 2wt, and the Cabela's LST 2wt. They are both in the same price range, and with your discount would be a NICE bargain!

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply