It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 47 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:27 pm • # 41 
Administrator

linecaster wrote:
A guy on Texas Fishing forums was asking for an ID of this fish, can you help? I thought it is a hybrid sunfish.

https://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n60 ... 70ddc7.jpg

First things first, hybridization between Cichlids (Rio's), and Centrarchids (our sunfishes) is not likely to happen as they aren't even in the same Genus. Although I personally believe the two Genus's are somehow related (both are in the Perciform class after all), at least in the very distant past, and they may have evolved from common ancestors, they are no longer closely related.

I looked at the photo and enlarged it a bit. A few things that standout to me are, 1. The mouth doesn't look right for a Sunfish, it looks more cichlid like. 2. There is no operculer flap on the gill cover, which all Sunfish have, even if it's very tiny. 3. The rear of the dorsal fin looks more Rio/Cichlid like. 4. The coloration is more Rio/Cichlid.

I'm no Cichlid expert, but my guess is that this fish might be a juvenile Rio with bold coloration. I'm not familiar with Cichlid hybridization although I'm keen to guess that it occurs within the Genus, or maybe not, I simply do not know for sure. There are other Cichlid species running around in the deep south just because people buy them as pets, then end up releasing them to the wild because they don't want to care for them anymore. Someone with a better working knowledge of Cichlids is needed for this one. I think the best bet would be to send an email to TPWD with the picture and maybe have a fisheries biologist help with a positive ID.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:31 pm • # 42 

It's been identified on the Texas Fishing Forum as a Green Cichlid.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:37 pm • # 43 

Sorry guys, somehow I thought this fish was caught but after Bob9 said the answer was given on TFF I went back and reread the whole thread.
The Texas Green Cichlid is usually bought and placed in aquariums, this one was acquired on line for an aquarium. Apparently there are also Red Cichlids and other colors are native to Mexico. Thanks for all the input.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:41 pm • # 44 

Many of these links no longer work. That may be a problem with my laptop so can someone confirm?

Thanks,
Harry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:28 pm • # 45 

Free2Fish wrote:
Many of these links no longer work. That may be a problem with my laptop so can someone confirm?Thanks,
Harry

Not just for you, Harry. They're gone for me, too

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:16 pm • # 46 

[img]https://images.ultralightflyfishing.com/u/1/pb/thehersh1/th_20150424_163645_zpsjwdsotu4.jpg longear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:25 pm • # 47 

Growing up in Idaho never caught sunfish before joining the army. Now it’s mostly what I catch when the bass don’t wanna play anyway

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 47 posts ] New Topic Add Reply