It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 51 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:17 pm • # 41 

Sasha, now that is really bragging, :)

dayhut Pike always look like you owe them.

Jeremy when it comes to fly fishing and others around the world it amazes that we don't realize others have the same interests as we personally have. Ed is a very well known fly fishing personality in South Africa, well respected and I am glad to hear he loves what we also find to be a wonderful aspect of fly fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:12 pm • # 42 
Administrator

Ed is the reason I started using the Hot Spot pheasant tail nymph. In that same podcast I mentioned, he said something about the fly, and since I had never heard of it, I had to look it up. Too bad that http://www.theflyfisher.co.za/ isn't being kept up anymore, I rather enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:54 pm • # 43 

Remember when you asked me about this one?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:58 pm • # 44 
Administrator

Yep.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:46 pm • # 45 

linecaster wrote:
How about a 2kg Yellow fish in the Vaal?
My son in law always wanted to try the thee weight in the rapids.
If I were there now I would definately try it.
To me that would be the ultimate test for ultra light tackle.

Hi Linecaster, I had just bought my 2wt CT and wanted to cast it just to get a feel, we were fishing on the Vaal so I slapped my heavy Czech Nymph rig onto it and was laughing while flicking it around as the rod handled it admirably. I think I squeezed out a drop when something smashed one of the flies and went straight into the main current. After a heavy fight I got the fish closer by and the line went limp, causing me to think I'd lost it. All that happened was I lost line tension as the line started moving left then right then left then right basically in the same spot. So on reeling in and fighting a bit more I notices a splash on my dropper fly, but the Yellowfish's head I was seeing was too far for that splash. Needless to say I was extremely happy on discovering a double hookup! 2x 1kg Yellowfish at the same time! The tackle handled it amazingly well. Since then It's all I use on the Vaal.

The last trip before moving down to KZN I saw a rise which repeated in the same area a few times, feeling like a tool for stalking up to 5m away from the fish I saw it had not yet moved. First cast and drift the fish hit me about 30cm ahead of where I thought it's head was. All hell broke loose as it managed to get behind me downstream and into the current. I am absolutely in love with lighter tackle since when I pulled out that 2kg Barbel I realised it isn't kids stuff! The Vaal always has wonderful surprises for us (I assumed it was a Carp/Yellowfish lol!).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:04 pm • # 46 

I have a friend in Joubertina, E. Cape, RSA who is only just learning to fly fish.
May I direct him here, and in turn, to you?

(Hoping, of course, you do not live up to your screen name ...)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:50 pm • # 47 

Unsociable wrote:
linecaster wrote:
How about a 2kg Yellow fish in the Vaal?
My son in law always wanted to try the thee weight in the rapids.
If I were there now I would definately try it.
To me that would be the ultimate test for ultra light tackle.

Hi Linecaster, I had just bought my 2wt CT and wanted to cast it just to get a feel, we were fishing on the Vaal so I slapped my heavy Czech Nymph rig onto it and was laughing while flicking it around as the rod handled it admirably. I think I squeezed out a drop when something smashed one of the flies and went straight into the main current. After a heavy fight I got the fish closer by and the line went limp, causing me to think I'd lost it. All that happened was I lost line tension as the line started moving left then right then left then right basically in the same spot. So on reeling in and fighting a bit more I notices a splash on my dropper fly, but the Yellowfish's head I was seeing was too far for that splash. Needless to say I was extremely happy on discovering a double hookup! 2x 1kg Yellowfish at the same time! The tackle handled it amazingly well. Since then It's all I use on the Vaal.

The last trip before moving down to KZN I saw a rise which repeated in the same area a few times, feeling like a tool for stalking up to 5m away from the fish I saw it had not yet moved. First cast and drift the fish hit me about 30cm ahead of where I thought it's head was. All hell broke loose as it managed to get behind me downstream and into the current. I am absolutely in love with lighter tackle since when I pulled out that 2kg Barbel I realised it isn't kids stuff! The Vaal always has wonderful surprises for us (I assumed it was a Carp/Yellowfish lol!).

Thanks for the confirmation, like you said love the heavy stuff on the light stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 am • # 48 

Lol Dayhut, I should probably change my screen name hey?;) You can definitely ask him to Pm me on the forum, E Cape is white far from me but I'll help as much as possible with anything I can assist with, or direct him to someone closer where he stays if I cannot assist.

@Linecaster ;) sorry for the novel there lol. But yes I am targeting bass off a kickboat with my 2wt fly rod and an ultralight spinning setup next to it. One gets to a of bites. Today I lost count but am guesstimating 30-40 fish in 4hrs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:32 am • # 49 

Thank you Admin.
Like many of you, I enjoy talking fly fishing, gear, bugs, etc. Despite the many years that I have been participating in these activities, I am stilll learning from all of you and enjoying the conversation. Thanks my favorite forum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:44 pm • # 50 

It seemed appropriate to bump this thread back up to the top. Despite whatever may have been said some years ago, Bill Byrd is back online. http://www.byrdultrafly.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:28 am • # 51 

PampasPete wrote:
It seemed appropriate to bump this thread back up to the top. Despite whatever may have been said some years ago, Bill Byrd is back online. http://www.byrdultrafly.com/

Yes I corresponded with him this last May and he was seemingly in good spirits and was keeping the site going.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 51 posts ] New Topic Add Reply