It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Ultra Light Reels
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:48 pm • # 21 

pearow wrote:
the pflueger supreme 1834 is a nice machined aluminum reel that weighs 3.2 ounces. I don't think they make it anymore but there's some still out there. Very good reel for a light rod-p-

Is that the one that was made in the year of your birth, 1834? :applause

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:31 pm • # 22 

no, I was 2-p-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:40 am • # 23 

Hardy Marquis LWT 2/3 reel. A jewel of a reel. I am also partial to the Orvis Battenkill I or Orvis CFO I (discontinued but you may accasionally find it). I have the Abel made version ofthe CFO.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:24 pm • # 24 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
The new Medalist is a machined reel instead of the old stamped and painted aluminum. Instead of the old style brake shoe drag, it has an adjustable drag identical to the Hardy lightweight series reels.

Very interesting, may try one in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:21 pm • # 25 

In addition to those mentionned above Hardy Perfect 2 5/8 is not exactly ultralight but it's "the Perfect":-)
Hardy St George junior, Galvan Brookie 0/1.
If you are looking for something cheaper search on ebay "plastic fly reel" there are pretty good small black reels, silent with a nice cork drag in several diameters.
Zigo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:26 am • # 26 

kevin2 wrote:
I got the Wychwood River & Stream, and it is sweet. Super tight tolerances, light as can be. Pretty! I sold my Orvis CFO I after getting this, it is that nice.

1.7 ounces & 2.75 inches for the 2/3
2.0 ounces & 3.00 inches for the 4/5

The 2/3 is a very interesting reel for U.L fly fishing!
What makes me doubt is the robustness: is it sturdy enough? Comparable with your old CFO?

...ahem...I see that his last visit was Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:45 am, other knows this reel?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:20 pm • # 27 

I have the River & Stream reel in 2/3 weight. It is super light but sturdier than you might think. I don't think it is as sturdy as my CFO . It is really a little difficult to describe it as an UL reel at 5.3 ounces, but I just got in a new 2 7/8" Hardy Perfect. But, as you said "it is the Perfect".

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:01 am • # 28 

Thankyou Larry
I ever seen the Perfect like it is: perfect. It's since 1980 that I look at reels, they are wonderful objects anyway. And analyzing the pics and the exploded view you understand that the Perfect is an object made to fish withstanding any stress in the better way. I have no doubts that there are Perfects made one century ago who are perfect for fishing still now. With attention to the look and elegance. It's the working symbol of an age, an idea, a philosophy. So different from now.
I never owned one because I preferred the flyweight, not so perfect but anyway an excellent product. And lighter and cheaper, in particular because when I bought it I was younger :). A good compromise, but anyway a compromiase.
I never had one Perfect in my hands and I'm far to be sure that I wouldn't buy it now :). I understand you very well.
roberto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:55 pm • # 29 

zigo wrote:
It's the working symbol of an age, an idea, a philosophy. So different from now.

p.s.
For those times it was even an extraordinary progress compared with the previous reels, so good that is still used. But even the "progress" was very different compared to now, because it meant a clear improvement over the previous, but also reliability and durability. The Perfect is so reliable and durable that today you can fish with reels built a century ago. What can I think about reels renowned where the drag crash after few months? Or product that when are constructed are programmed to crash exactly when the the warranty ends? Then you are forced to throw it in the garbage and buy a new one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:17 pm • # 30 

Here's an UL reel I picked up .

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply