It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:04 am • # 1 

Hi everyone,
Thanks for accepting my request to join the forum. I apologize in advance for being a rookie to this forum and breaking any written or unwritten rules with this post. You seem like a great bunch of well informed anglers though, so hopefully you will great me with the same kindness as you have other newbies.
Basically, I am trying to track down an older model Orvis Superfine Tight Loop fly rod. It is an 8ft 4wt 4pc full flex rod. The one I originally had was made 03/01 - the unfinished grey/maroon graphite blank. Unfortunately, I had to part ways with it several years ago, but I am trying diligently to recover the same model if possible. If anyone has any suggestions about where I might continue to look to find this rod, I am all ears. If anyone on this forum has one for sale or trade, I would love to talk.
Thanks for your reading,and consideration. I apologize for not choosing one of the trade-in/for sale threads, but being a new member has posting limitations.
Please feel free to PM me or simply respond to this thread.
Best regards everyone...

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:37 pm • # 2 

For an original, I'd keep a watch on ebay. If you're willing to try new, Orvis makes an 8ft 4pc 4wt Superfine Carbon, that, in my opinion, is a better rod than the old ones, lighter and stronger (more resistant to damage). The tape wrap (unsanded) finish is still being used. Another vintage choice to look for if you are willing to have a two piece rod is the Brook Trout (8ft, 4wt), which was one of the most cherished Superfines.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:51 pm • # 3 

Thanks for the suggestions - I really appreciate your response. I have kept an eye on eBay for the "vintage" model - and it has been surprisingly rare to see - if fact I haven't seen any show up in many months. I would prefer the model/year that I had previously...it is a great rod, and there's sentimental value attached to it as well. I worked for Orvis in the past and am really familiar with everything they've done over the past 20 years. I love what they've done with the glass rods, and I think the Superfine Carbon rods are sharp too - definitely improved. I think if I was in this hunt purely for the fishability/casting, I would likely go the route you suggested and pick up one of the Carbon, or Touch line of rods they came out with. But I want to remain steadfast and find that "Tight Loop" if possible. Again, thanks for keeping an eye out - hopefully one will turn up!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:15 am • # 4 

I have an Orvis 4 piece Tight Loop 8ft rod in a brass tube that I've never used, if you are still looking for one

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:35 am • # 5 

Giorgio wrote:
I have an Orvis 4 piece Tight Loop 8ft rod in a brass tube that I've never used, if you are still looking for one

This post is almost 6 years old

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:57 am • # 6 

I still receive notifications on this post, so old is not so bad. But I would like to see the pictures of the rod you are offering @Giorigio. I am looking for a specific rod. My original one came in a green canvas tube. The newer models of the Superfine series came in the aluminum tube - I am not looking for the newer model version. Please let me know more details about the rod you have. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:20 pm • # 7 

This is awesome… Hope it works out for you, if it does long wait!

The Gill Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:21 pm • # 8 

This is awesome… Hope it works out for you, if it does long wait!

The Gill Guy

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply