It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New reel for a 1wt?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:47 am • # 1 

So I've made up my mind between buying a new 1wt rod....kind of. Now I need to make up my mind for a reel to match it. Again, the problem is I can't put my hands on it, so it's an estimation game. The Orvis Battenkill 1, the Redington Zero, or what? If anyone has any suggestions in the $100.00 range, please let me know. I'd gladly buy used if the reel has been kept up nice. (I decided against RDP's sweet little reel. The idea of a disc drag on a reel intended for stream fishing, where most fights are done on the hand, urcks me. Seems like an unnecessary bell and whistle.) Thanks to all. - Justin A.

Post subject: Re: New reel for a 1wt?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:52 am • # 2 

Bass Pro's Classic Ultralight is a nice little $100 reel.

It's a clicker with no other drag.

The Battenkill I is also nice for the same price.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:22 am • # 3 

Thanks Paul.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:13 am • # 4 

The Battenkill 1 has the quality feel.
Ive caught carp, smallies, and tiger trout on it with no issues-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:47 am • # 5 

I'm thinking the Battenkill will work nicely, but might go with a Sage Click on Closeout...... PS, The Brown Bugger is a killer. Lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:30 pm • # 6 

Wish I could afford the Sage Click...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:16 pm • # 7 

Justin,
one thing to remember with the Orvis is it will actually be a bit heavier in the end do to the amount of backing needed to get it to a point where it doesn't coil the small diameter of the 1 wt line. not a lot more weight but it is more. I don't have a zero but we have sold a bunch of them through the shop and have not had any issues reported. You don't think you need a disc drag now but one day you will hook that small steam brute of a lifetime an wonder why you ever felt that way. It happened to me about 20 year sago had an old clunky llbean reel was fishing a tributary off a larger river I hooked a 18" brook trout that decided he was going to swim the 2 mile back to the big water. the reel back-lashed about midway through his run and pop it was gone. I have used either an adjustable click/pal or disc drag ever sense. That fish really haunts me too I have caught tarpon, Atlantic salmon and Steelhead and I can close my eyes and still see that bookies tearing off thru that pool on that 20' wide stream. good luck on your choice enjoy what ever reel you buy.

steve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:44 pm • # 8 

Steve, great information. Thank you for taking the time to share it with me.

I'll definitely keep in mind the info on the Battenkill. And one of the reasons I have chosen not to go with a Redington Zero is because it doesn't offer an adjustable drag by any means.....I'd go with the Battenkill only because it's in my opinion more durable.
My primary rod is a 3wt with a 2/3 Redington Drift on it. Last year I caught 3 20+" fish on it....the first one took me 50 yards down stream, like A River Runs Through It style, lolol. That happened because I was caught off gaurd.....the next two were still hilarious fights, but more controlled since I was expecting them more. My point, I understand completely about the disc drag. Better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. But my problem is I've tasted the high you get from catching fish on a Click and Pawl reel. On a 3wt with a drag reel, those three fish would of STILL been worthy of my mile wide smiles, but let me tell you, getting them on a Click and Pawl drag, in semi tight quarters, a drag reel will no longer do the trick anymore. If I lose the fish, well then I did something wrong and I need to correct it. Lol. (The stream I was fishing is a freestone stream, 15'-20' across, over hanging limbs everywhere, very shallow water, with protruding mini boulders sticking out.......it was extremely difficult.)
As far as a reel now, I'm thinking of getting another Sage Click if I can swing the money. I used to have one, so I'm familiar with it. It's by far the best reel I've ever used so far...as click and pawl go. I had to get rid of mine because it was TOO light at the time for my 3wt, and I still needed a reel for it.....I'd love to find somewhere or someone who had a used Sage Click, because I hate spending that kind of money. I'll be able to afford it during tax season, but even then I'd love to find a used one. Lol.
Steve, I have a fish I lost during that same day I mentioned that remind me of your 18" Brookie.....almost wish I had a drag reel or 5wt. Lolol. I can relate, but I'm sure your like me, and although we lost it, we can't help but smile when thinking about it.....it's nice almost when a fish gets the better of us. Lol. My thinking at least.
Again, thank you so much Steve, and enjoy your night. - Justin A.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:34 pm • # 9 

Justin,

I got that Click 1 reel in (000/0) and it's pretty awesome. The drag adjustment is really very nice and the quality looks second to none.

Now I just need to sell a few more other pieces of gear to fund my next rod :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:15 pm • # 10 

BlackRock.....I'm honestly worried that the Click 00 might be TOO light for the rod.......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:43 pm • # 11 

I just wound up my Click 1. I got maybe 20M of Dacron backing and all 50M of the running mono (Lazar Line 30#) with a 15ft WF9F head on the end and a bit of room to spare. The whole setup weighs in at 84 grams or 2.96oz.

Not sure if that helps, but it's definitely a light setup. I'm still waiting on my RDP rod but I'm all set for whenever it shows up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:05 pm • # 12 

Blackrock,
I've decided on the Battenkill. I've been stressing too much about finding too many good money saving deals for a super modern "cool" high tech reel for too long. So long that it's taken the joy out of what should be a fun experience. So I'm just gonna sit back and let some history take control. Lolol. Plus I'm looking forward to falling down a mountain with it and not having to worry about the reel, but my possible blood loss. Lolol. Good times fetching those natives.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:32 am • # 13 

Another vote for the Orvis Battenkill I.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply