It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:54 am • # 1 

I am searching for a 3wt to upgrade from the Echo Carbon. I like the rod well enough but am always searching for something else. I have been contemplating the Orvis Superfine Carbon/Glass, Douglas Upstream, Sage Pulse, and Scott Flex. Is there something in this price bracket that I am missing and should look at? Also I have never fished a Double taper and was thinking that this may be the rod to first try it on. Or I have a Rio Creek 2wt sitting around that does not have a rod. It has a head weight of 100 grains, I was thinking that it may just work on a slower 3wt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:04 pm • # 2 

Of course, as a lover of glass fly rods I am biased. In that price range I would certainly take a look at a Steffen Brothers rod. They make 2/3 weight rods in lengths of 6' and 7'3". As glass goes, these rods are medium-fast. As Steffen is a small boutique builder, it would take about 2 months to get a rod as they don't start building it until you order it. Among glass lovers there is a fairly large and fanatical follower of Steffen rods. I would also recommend the Hardy Sirrus Glass rod, available from Harris Sportsmail in England. Harris offers by far the best prices on Hardy products. I have been very happy with mine so far. And, at least at this time, Harris is shipping Hardy products free to the US.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:13 pm • # 3 

Going by your rods of choice, you seem to like any action. The Scott Flex is a fast tipped rod with a medium fast recover, and it's a good solid rod for the money. Quite accurate and light in hand.

Orvis Superfine Carbon /glass is a good rod as well, and there's always the Recon in that price range too. Does the Recon come in a 3wt? Check on that, but I'm sure it does.

The Scott would be better for the wind than the Orvis Superfines, but remember, a 3wt is never that good in windy conditions. But if your planning on catching small fish, brookies, sunfish, crappie, bluegill, the Carbon or fiberglass would be the most fun. In fact any fiberglass rod would be a hoot.

DT lines, if the rod is a slow full flex to a medium action, DT lines are great. For the Scott Flex or Recon, you could up a weight in line or stick with a 3wt WF line. Personally on rods like the Flex I don't prefer a DT line. But that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm • # 4 

I picked up a 376 Winston GVX last summer and took it out for trout the first time last week. I use Airflo River and Stream, sort of a Triangle Taper style line.

Long story short, It was absolutely delightful to cast. I'd say it is nearly as good as my favorite 4-weight (a Sage LL 4711) and better than my Hardy one piece (4810). I was fishing a small Driftless Area stream, many places only 6 feet wide. I have to cast well ahead of me down this narrow "alley" to get to fish I haven't spooked. Add to that the windy conditions, and the GVX handled it all. I have been told that the GVX uses the same taper as Winston's boron rods, just with graphite instead. That might be wrong, but that's what I heard.

Anyway, consider this rod.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 pm • # 5 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, given the title of the post, but Chris Barclay makes a 7'2" 4-wt glass rod he calls the " Driftless Special. " It's one of his Synthesis tapers. If you think 4-wt might be a little much for brookies and sunnies, I can highly recommend the Barclay 68L -- it's a true 3-wt and just a real joy to cast, and those sub-12 inch fish are a ton of fun on it! All the quality (and maybe then some) of the high-end production rods for the same or less money, plus you can customize the grip and reel seat and wraps to your heart's delight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:48 pm • # 6 

Aaron, you are absolutely correct. I don't know how I failed to mention Chris Barclay's contributions to ultralight rods. All I can plead is senility.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply