It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:36 pm • # 1 

A few years ago I took a gamble on a small pack rod from Black Bear Fly Fishing, a company that is apparently no longer in business. This rod is glass, an 8 piece with spigot ferrules. As on many inexpensive rods with spigot ferrules, the ferrules are a little extra long. When I first got the rod I had considerable difficulty in casting it smoothly. I took it to a conclave and found I was not the only person who had difficulty casting it. The rod has been sitting in a closet in my garage for several years. I got it out today to give it another try. I have been fishing glass now for about 12 years, and have learned to adapt my stroke and my timing to a wide variety of actions. There had been a couple of other rods that I once had difficulty casting, but now consider very smooth action rods. The Black Bear rod was no exception. My friend Charlie and I both cast the rod with Barrio Small Stream WF2 and WF3 lines, finding the rod cast well with either line. Also very good with a Cabela's Prestige DT2. Casting to a distance of about 40 feet seemed to be the rod's limit. I remember when I first got this rod I took it fishing on my favorite small stream and caught a couple of very small sunfish. Even with these small fish, the rod bent down into the grip. Now that I am able to cast it more effectively I am ready to try again. I can't even imagine how it will handle a 12" stream bass, but I am looking forward to finding out.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am • # 2 
Administrator

Larry,
Perfect time for a review on the water.
I wonder if there's any more of these being sold or existing stock. I remember the man who called these rods the "bees knees" had also carried a line of modern vintage Capps reels. Did you ever have one of those?

Les

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:48 am • # 3 
Administrator

Went back for a search and found that Robert Sherril had built one of these up
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=10132&hilit=Black+bear

Les

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 am • # 4 

I built the olive 5 weight glass rod and love it.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:32 am • # 5 

The reels carried by Black Bear had the Fish On label. I wanted one of those reels, but I don't remember ever buying one. I did have another reel by Capps, or perhaps a copy of a Capps, that I used for a while, but something went wrong with it to the point that it was unuseable. As that was several years ago, my memory has completely failed as to just what went wrong. I have seen a couple of those Fish On reels on a vintage tackle site recently with an asking price near $400.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 pm • # 6 

Managed to go fishing three days in a row this week. The bluegills are really biting. On Wednesday, I waded a long pool on one of my favorite creeks with my friend Charlie. I think at one point I had 25 bluegills for 25 casts, using a small yellow gurgler. Yesterday I finally remembered I had wanted to try out the Black Bear rod. My friend Kurt and I waded a short stretch of creek. I started with a small orange popper to no effect, then switched to a mini-Cypert Minnow and managed to catch a few bluegills and longears. This very light, soft rod will roll cast with the best of them. On the hookup, there was definitely more flex than I usually experience with small fish, but it was not so wimpy as to be unuseable in everyday fishing. I'm going to have to use this rod more often, though I doubt it will see any use on bass ponds. As expected, it was not the best choice when the wind was gusting.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:17 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Larry
I need to try that one the next time we're together

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:12 am • # 8 

Les,
The fishing on Rock Creek is generally at its best in late spring and early summer, so you better get up here pretty soon if you want to play with our fish.

Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply